Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
A little while back I talked about Hertz giving away enough points for a free weekend day rental just for signing-up for their free Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program here. It took a couple weeks, but the points did appear in both mine and my husband’s account. Today I went to book my free weekend rental day and the points were gone. I called Hertz and told them what happened and they added the miles back instantly. They did not seem surprised at all that the points were gone and did not give me any hassle in reinstating them. My husband’s points are still in his account, so not sure what went wrong with mine. Weird.
Anyway, I then went back to booking my free day. I expected it to be way more difficult than it was, but it was actually super simple! Here are the super-simple steps:
If you haven’t already joined Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program and registered for the 500 free points promotion, do that here first.
1. Log-on to your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards account. Your account balance will be on the upper right-hand side of the screen in teeny-tiny numbers.
2. Click on “Use my points” on the upper right-hand side of the screen. Again, this is in teeny-tiny letters. This will take you into your account.
3. Scroll down and select either “Rewards in the US”, “Rewards in Europe”, or “Exchange for Frequent Traveler Miles or Hertz Rental Rewards Mail Certificate”. I selected “Rewards in the US”.
4. I then selected “Daily Rental” as I only need the car for one day (and I only have enough points for a one day rental). Once you select the type of rental you want, it will take you back to the homepage to search for your location/dates/car type/etc…
5. For the purposes of this demo, I selected a one day weekend rental out of JFK airport in New York on Saturday August 18th. After you type your rental information in, it will display the available choices.
6. Select your vehicle from the available choices. You can see that the full-size car is going for about $58, but then look on the lower right-hand side of the screen and see that your sub-total is $0.00!!
7. You will then be taken to a screen listing some options such as: car seats, satellite radio, GPS, etc… These will be charges added on to your free rental. For my actual rental, the price of renting the car seat was the most expensive charge – $11!
8. After you select or decline the additional options, you will be taken to a screen to finalize your reservation. As you can see, the only charge for this one-day rental is the taxes of about $13.00. Not bad at all for a rental in New York City!
This truly is a “no strings attached deal”! I was massively impressed all the way around. Seriously, if you still have not signed up for your free rental day, you should get on that ASAP.
I’ll talk more soon about where Little C and I are going to use our free rental – I’m super excited! (It’s sadly not NYC this time, this was just to give you an example of what your awesome Hertz free weekend day can get you)!