I am so excited!  If you want to know more about DOs or why I am excited about this DO check out posts here and here.

Now, if you wanna know where this DO is going keep reading!

According to the official Mega DO website:

1/23/12 The party starts in New York City

There will be presentations and tours with OneWorld carriers, then the entire premium cabin on a flight from JFK – LHR (London) is reserved for OneWorld participants!  It’s a rough life…..

1/24/12 The party continues in London

There will be a program with British Airways and a reception.

1/25/12  The action returns to the US of A with a flight from LHR – DFW (Dallas)

There will be a reception put on by Hyatt at the Hyatt Regency DFW in my great home state of Texas.  I am super jazzed about this destination selection as my husband should be able drive up and join in the after-party action!

1/26/12 Spend the day behind the scenes with American Airlines then fly on a chartered 757 to Seattle

The flight will land at Boeing Field, and that evening there will be a dinner hosted by Boeing.  Woohoo!  The night will be spent at the Hyatt Regency Bellevue.

1/27/12 More fun at Boeing and the chartered flight continues on to LAX

This day at Boeing promises to include portions not open to the public and never included in a previous DO.  Yippee.  :)  Dinner in LA will be hosted by OneWorld carriers.  You never seem to go hungry (or thirsty) on DOs!  This night will be spent at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.

1/28/12 OneWorld program at LAX

Hyatt Bonus:

Hyatt is also offering up to 200,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for those attending the OWMD based on the number of stays from now until through January 13th.  The tiered bonus starts at 19 nights.  I don’t think that will impact me, but is is great for those who have many night away in the next few months.

American Airlines Bonus:

Earn bonus AA miles for each round trip you take from today until January 13th.  Start by earning 1,000 bonus miles for one round trip and earn up to 55,000 AAdvantage Miles for ten round trips!  Check out some photos of slides showing these bonuses from Jetsetr on Milepoint.

The Price for the North American Portion:

The economy seats will be around $799 and you will earn 7,500 Aadvantage miles.

“Tommy Class” (empty middle seat) will be in the $1100-$1200 range and you will earn 10,000 AA miles.

First class will be around $1600 and you will earn 15,000 miles.  You will find me in at the entry level rate.  :)

The miles you earn on this flight are very generous considering the actual flights would normally earn substantially less!

Booking will be open as soon as some of the final details are worked out.  Those lucky folks who attended the launch party will have access 24 hours to seats before the rest of us.  This year there will also be a way for you to select your own seat.  That is great!  There has not yet been a date announced when booking will open, but it should be very soon.  Keep checking back and I will share that info as soon as I have it.

I was 2 out of 3 on guessing destinations, not too bad.  I will be going on The First OneWorld Mega DO, but only the North American portion.  I just can’t take that much time off work and away from my family to do the whole week, but I am so excited that it will start in Texas and can’t wait to experience all that the DO will have in store.  While DOs are a bit pricey for most budgets, they really do offer “once in a lifetime” type access both to behind-the-scenes operations and top hotel and airline executives.  They also allow you to spend four days with some other awesome travel junkies.

Check out the official Mega DO website for more details.  So, are you going?  What are you most excited about?

31 Responses to “OneWorld Mega DO Details Announced!”

1. A. S. says:

I definitely want in, but I’m not sure if I’ll manage to squeeze into the queue! It seems like everyone and their mother is wanting in and since I’m a far, far ways away (in Brazil) I feel a bit left out and fear that by the time I find out where to sign up it will be all booked solid! :) I’ll be counting on you to tell me all the details (along with the official website, of course!). Looking forward to meeting all fellow enthusiasts.

@A.S., I am sure if you are willing to book when the booking officially opens that there will be a seat with your name on it! I promise to post as soon as I know that registration is open.

2. Flamingo says:

MommyPoints: Wow, you have the detailed info. faster than the info. shown in MP.

Thanks!

3. Sil says:

I wanted to go to the Launch Party tonight but I was too late to register. I just found out about it last week. And it is in my hometown.
    Do you have to have status to go to the Jan Mega Do? If so, I am out of luck. Just started the credit card for miles this May and only have 160k miles in AA.

@Sil, that stinks you missed the party, but no status is required for the OWMD. Just book a seat (as soon as registration opens) and join in the fun!

4. Sil says:

The NA portion will begin in Dallas and ends in Los Angeles. Is this correct?

5. Stan says:

So anyone can go to this? What is the admission price? Im new to the credit card sign ups and live in NYC

@Stan, anyone who is willing to buy a ticket is most welcome! Seats aren’t on sell yet, may be within the coming days so keep checking back to the official site. I will also post the info here as soon as I have it.

6. [...] I think Mommy Points is even more excited than I am, she broke details online even before I did. [...]

7. Jim L says:

Any idea when the sign up opens? Hints are most welcome!!!

8. Jim L says:

Any chance we could use AA points to pay for the airfares?

@Jim, while you can’t use them to pay for the charter (there is a hefty charter bill that the organizers have to pay and the purchase of that seat also gets you admission to the events), you can certainly use them for your positioning flights to get to and from the DO. You can also usually use them to do the European portion as well as there is not a “chartered flight” for that part.

9. [...] reading other blogs, it looks as though both Mommy Points and Gary from a View from The Wing will be attending and reporting the updated details as well! I am [...]

10. TheFly says:

What does “DO” stand for?

@TheFly, it isn’t so much an acronym as much as a word that basically means “gathering”. I agree it is a little funny. ;)

11. Sil says:

The charter flight with the included events seem reasonable but the host Hyatt hotels are about $250 to $300 per night. Do all the folks at the DO stay there or do folks look for a more economical room nearby?

How many Mega Dos are there in a year? Are they all in the United States?

@Sil, last night the hotels ranged from about $100 per night at the Hyatt in Chicago to something like $250 a night at the Hyatt in Montreal. Those aren’t exact numbers, but close. Denver was somewhere in the middle. They typically negotiate rates a bit lower than you can book on the website, so I doubt it will average $250-$300 a night. I would bet closer to $200 or less per night, but I really don’t know. People stay at the host hotels as it part of the DO experience and last time it was the only way to get Hyatt Diamond. You had to stay at the hotels all three nights. The last night several of us did go to a Hyatt Place that was cheaper, but that was after the DO officially ended.

12. Wes says:

Absolutely hope to book both NorthAm and Intl legs of OWMD. Anxiously waiting for booking link to go hot.

@Wes, that is great you are planning to do both legs. Everyone who has been on an international portion that I have talked to has said it is really the best part. Just too many days away for me, but one day I’ll make it on that part.

13. [...] Mommy Points and View From The Wing both wrote about the oneworld Mega DO launch party. [...]

14. [...] = 'wpp-261'; var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"ui_508_compliant":true};Mommy Points and View From The Wing both wrote about the oneworld Mega DO launch [...]

15. [...] to let me know that there was an update posted on the Megado.com website regarding the upcoming One World Mega DO in January.  I was super excited that it was information related to booking seats on the charter!  [...]

16. Everett says:

@mommypoints- So I am new to the mileage game and am seeing a lot of hype about these Mega Do events and it looks like a great way to meet fellow mileage junkies and get a taste of the lifestyle. My question is, how much of this event can be booked with miles, hotel points, car rentals, ect., so I can limit my out of pocket cost. So I can get a good idea if I can afford this or not, what is the absolute cheapest out-the-door price you immagine one could participate in this event at?
    Btw- absolutely love the blog, you helped me turn the US Grand Slam from a terrifying monster into a promotion that I could actually understand and win!

@Everett, that is a good question. It is an amazing experience, but it isn’t cheap. The charter flight obviously has to be booked with cash. It will be around $800 for a coach seat. Last go-round the hotels had to be booked under the conference rate in order to get Hyatt Diamond status, but in the end you were able to share rooms and still get Hyatt Diamond, so I am not sure if there might be some flexibility in there. You can obviously use miles to get to/from the charter flight destinations. So, I’m not sure what the rules will be this time around the hotels, but if you didn’t have to use cash to stay at the host hotels, then you could just be out the charter flight price. I would check with the organizers to find out more hotel rules/details. Pizzaman and Tommy777 on Milepoint would be your best sources of info on that.

17. I am really inspired with your writing skills and also with the format to your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it’s uncommon to look a nice blog like this one these days..