Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
I took today off from my “day job” to get ready to recover from hosting a toddler toy drive play date yesterday and get ready to go out of town this afternoon. I had hoped to write a detailed post or two about some points happenings today, but there is (again) just too much going on to pick just one or two topics, so I will share some short pertinent info on several different things going on in the miles and points world.
- First and probably foremost, today is 10x Ultimate Rewards points day at Sears.com. I was massively bored and just ordered some socks and underwear for my husband. Seriously. He asked for it to be in his stocking, so I might as well earn bonus points for such an exciting present! I chose in-store pick-up instead of paying for shipping and they emailed me that it was ready to pick-up within an hour or two of making the purchase. If you want to get a bit more creative with this promo than I did, you want to keep an eye on The Frequent Miler’ssite today. A key part of this “creativity” is that there are no posted restrictions about buying gift cards or redeeming gift cards, so presumably you would get points on buying and redeeming gift cards. Also, you can use Sears gift cards at Kmart and can redeem for other gift cards that they sell in those stores. Here are the posted restrictions:
Special increased earnings now through 12/9/2011!
Not eligible on Home Delivery Charges, Auto Services, PA & Installation, Master Protection Agreements, Take With, Protection Plans, Sears auctions, Landsend.com, PartsDirect, Craftsman, Kenmore or Outlet purchases. Sears Marketplace products with “Go to Site” button are not eligible. Only products with “Add to Cart” button are eligible. Great Indoors & Kmart products are eligible. Kmart.com products are eligible as a Kmart.com purchases.
- This isn’t new news, but since my husband has used this promo twice in the last week himself, I wanted to post a brief reminder that more than 50 participating Hyatt Summerfield Suites, AVIA Hotels, and Hotel Sierra properties are offering 1,500 bonus Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points per stay. Simply request Offer Code 1500GP at time of booking. Entering that offer code does not make the rate go higher, so it is a nice bonus during this otherwise pretty quiet time on the Hyatt promo front.
- If you weren’t able to snag a seat on the first ever OneWorld MegaDO, there are a couple of opportunities for some free seats that are going on right now. The “easiest” to enter is Milepoint’s contest to win Randy Peterson’s seat on the charter. All you have to do is post on this thread and a winner will be selected at random. Granted, the thread is already over 43,000 posts, and there are still several days left in this contest, but it is worth a shot! Contest ends at noon MST on 12/14. American Airlines is also giving away a few seats on the charter. You can bid American Airlines miles for a seat – currently the bidding is at 450,000 miles with the proceeds going to the “Miles for Kids in Need” organization. Bidding ends noon CST on 12/14. Finally, American Airlines is also giving a seat away to the winner of their “official video blogger” contest. To enter, upload a 30-60 second video to their Facebook page. Details available here. Just over a month left until the trip – woohoo!
- Hilton is offering 30% of your HHonors points back when you redeem for Premium Room Rewards and Points & Money Rewards. You have to register for this promo before 1/31 and complete your stay by June 30th. You can get more details from Deals We Like.
- Toomanybooks reminded me about a fun Chase Sapphire promo for those with young girls (or boys who are into dolls). I won’t get into all the details here, but for $285 (or 28,500 UR points) you can have a pretty neat experience with your kiddo on 12/17 at the American Girl store in Chicago. When C is a little bit older, I hope we can do something like this! Log into your Ultimate Rewards account for more details on this promo.
- Finally, if you are racking your brain tying to think of a good way to make use of all of these online shopping promos going on right now (Amex gift chain, MasterCard $20, Ultimate Rewards points days, etc…) consider “adopting” a child for the holidays and buy presents for them. You can adopt online and jcp.com and UPS are even offering free shipping for gifts purchased from jcp.com and delivered to Salvation Army facilities. Today (12/9) is the last day to adopt your “angel”, so get on it if you want this to be a part of your family’s holiday tradition. You can adopt a child or a senior, and it looks like there are still many who need toys and clothing this year. I mentioned my “Mommy Group” at the beginning of the post, and the Salvation Angel tree is the exact program we adopted our two kiddos from. I am wiped out from hosting our toy donation event yesterday, but it was so worth it. Earning points and doing good for others – it doesn’t get any better than that! Trust me, if we can do it, I know many of you can do it!
Playtime madness leads to Christmas magic for two little kids. Little C almost understands that those presents are for other kiddos. Almost.
Okay, that’s it for now. Time to pack for another weekend away from home. We are staying at one of my favorite Hyatt resorts while we are completing one of my all time least favorite tasks (working to put our old house back on the market – ugh!). Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!