The Starwood Preferred Guest program has announced their first points promo of 2012.  It you have multi-day stays it is actually pretty good.  If you do a lot of one night stays, it is not so good.  Here are the details:

Earn up to triple bonus Starpoints with SPG Better by the Night.

Register for our SPG® Better by the Night promotion and earn unlimited bonus Starpoints® even faster. With every stay from January 9 through April 8, 2012, at over 750 participating hotels and resorts in North and Latin America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East, you’ll earn:

• Double Starpoints on two-night stays
  • Triple Starpoints on stays of three nights or longer

You must register by March 15, 2012 to take advantage of this promo.

I’m happy to see that the list of non-participating hotels, at least in the US, is much shorter than it has been on some recent SPG promos.  That being said, there are still a few hotels that are not participating, so make sure to take that into account when you are making reservations.  Since most of my hotel stays are only for one night, I’m not personally thrilled by this promo, but it is better than nothing.  I know I will now be giving preference to SPG for my longer stays for the next few months.  In addition to the regular two points per dollar (three points per dollar for elite SPG members) spent at SPG hotels earned by all Starwood members, if you have the Starwood Preferred Guest® Amex, you can also earn an extra two points per dollar spent at SPG hotels.  Combine that with this Better by the Night promo, and long and/or pricey Starwood stays can really rack up SPG points in a hurry.

Okay Hyatt, you are next.  Spill the beans about your first promo of 2012!

Thanks to sfozrhfco on Flyertalk for sharing the news about this upcoming promo.

Disclosure:  If you are approved for the SPG Amex by using my link I will receive a commission.  For what it’s worth, I think that card rocks and it has a permanent spot in my wallet.

18 Responses to “New Starwood Hotel Promo Announced – 2x or 3x Points!”

1. Dan says:

Thanks for posting this! 3x points coming to me soon!

2. SitInFirst says:

” If you do a lot of one night stays, it is not so good.” That was a very polite way to say “You get nothing under this promotion.”

3. Dan says:

So if I use the Amex spg card, if I use their website I get 5x pts: 2 Amex, 2 spg, 1 for gold. Do I get an extra 3x with this so I’m getting 8x?

4. [...] than it seemed to me at first blush for longer stays. Mommy Points, to whom a hit tip is due for pointing out the promo, notes how the promos stack. (And also points out that the non-participating properties list is [...]

5. Aiden says:

Just in time, as my last triple-up SPG promo just ended. Three more months on top of being able to easily complete the SPG platinum challenge in the first three months of 2012 makes a nice start to the year.

6. Summer says:

I have an Amex SPG card and have the same question as Dan. For a two night stay, what points double? Base points (2×2) or total points (4×2)?

7. MJM says:

Underwhelming. I’m an SPG Platinum but have single night stays. If this is as good as it gets for SPG first quarter, I’ll take advantage of better offers points-wise for me and stay elsewhere.

@Dan, you are welcome. Enjoy your 3x points.

@SitInFirst, precisely. ;)

@Dan, if I understand your question correctly, here is the answer…. if you are staying three nights or longer on this promo and using the SPG Amex and have SPG Gold status then the points would break down like this: 1 for Gold status, 2 for SPG Amex, 2 base spend * 3 from the 3 nights + promo = 6. So, 1 + 2 + 6 = 9 points per dollar spent at the hotel in this case. Hope that helps!

@Aiden, glad to hear this promo will work out well for you!

@Summer, base points. If you want a little more detail check out my response to Dan above. I wish it was 2x or 3x on the total points though. ;)

@MJM, I am with you since I typically have one night stays. If I happen to have a multi-day stay pop up I will look to SPG, otherwise I hope Hyatt comes out with something better!

9. David Moye says:

I guess I should’ve read this yesterday. None of the links seem to work today…

10. John says:

This will be a great promotion for SPG’ers who are tired of hopping hotels. What an excellent way to reward longer stays.

11. THEsocalledfan says:

The link is not working for me.

@Thesocalledfan, yeah some time in the last 24 hours or so the links stopped working. According to the “official” statement on Flyertalk, the page was not yet ready for public viewing and has been deactivated until Jan 9th. At least now we know what to expect. ;)

12. [...] SPG Better by the Night promotion awards double SPG points on two-night stays and triple SPG points on stays of three nights and [...]

13. TS says:

Thanks for posting this!

The link is working fine and hope everyone can take the benefit of this offer. Cheers!!!!!!!

Why Can’t I see this directly in the SPG site?

14. [...] Recent CommentsTS on New Starwood Hotel Promo Announced – 2x or 3x Points!Alan on Amex Platinum Card Airline Credit Experiment Resultsgpapadop on Being a “Road [...]

15. SB says:

I’ve booked a couple different 2 & 3 night stays at SPG hotels for the first quarter, but I booked them in December; any idea if that disqualifies me?

There don’t appear to be restrictions on when the stays were booked, only when you actually stay, but just want to be thorough.

Thanks!

16. [...] has a new promotion for Q1 (Jan. 9-Apr. that offers 2x and 3x points for two- and three-night stays [...]