Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Tonight’s post is playing catch-up with lots of different things going on in the miles and points community. I actually love it when there is too much going on to pick any one topic – it means things are “exciting”. At least for points/travel junkies like me…. Okay, here is what caught my attention today.
- First, the official host hotel for the Chicago Seminars, Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village, is now open for booking. The Chicago Seminars run from October 12 – 14th. The price for the hotel is $79 per night for a room that includes one breakfast voucher, and $89 for a room that includes two breakfast vouchers. And last year they really did collect breakfast vouchers – I had to skip breakfast one day because I lost mine! Do not make a speculative booking as the first night is non-refundable. However, if you are certain you will be coming to the Seminars then go ahead and book because the host hotel will certainly sell-out. I stayed at the host hotel back in October for the 2011 Seminars and will write a review of the hotel on Friday so that you will know what you are booking. It was certainly a great deal for around $80! The link to book your ticket to the actual Seminars should be active in the next few weeks.
- Second, Loyalty Traveler wrote a fantastic summary of the new Club Carlson (Radisson, Country Inn and Suites, etc…) 3x points promo that runs from January 10 to March 16, 2012. With this promo you are essentially earning 60 points per dollar spent at the hotel. Loyalty Traveler proclaims this the best hotel promo so far in 2012 and he might be right – of course we are only 11 days into 2012. Marriott’s MegaBonus is the only real contender so far, especially when you are talking about one-night stays. You can register for the Club Carlson promo here.
- I’m going to get to do a “water evacuation” of an aircraft! Now if I were on a flight and actually had to do a water evacuation I would be terrified, but under these circumstances I am super excited. Two weeks from today the North American portion of the OneWorld MegaDO begins in Dallas, Texas. The very next day 40 of us on the trip who won an auction that benefits the “Komen for the Cure” Foundation will participate in a water evacuation at the CR Smith Flight Academy in Dallas. I apologize in advance for the “wet hair” look I might have in all subsequent photos that day. 😉 Can’t wait to do it and tell you all about it though!
- If you make many purchases from Amazon, then you absolutely should check-out Frequent Miler’s post about how to maximize your points earnings with those purchases. He has some pretty creative ways of maximizing your Amazon spending. I know I buy tons of birthday presents for C’s friends, plus all of C’s diapers, and many other things from Amazon on a regular basis, so being strategic about those purchases is very important for my family.
- Finally, Little C seems to be beating pneumonia, so it looks like our adventures to snow (or at least to where snow should be this time of year) are officially on. Expect some fun posts and reviews about our family-friendly winter escape in the near future! Yeeeehaw. 😉
Hopefully that about covered it for today. I can’t tell you how relieved I am that my kiddo is feeling better, and that our family will get to go on a snowy adventure soon. I am also very excited that the OneWorld MegaDO is only two weeks away! I promise to bring some swag back to give away here just like I did on the last MegaDO.