Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Since this is a relatively slow travel period for the year, at least as far as leisure travel goes, we have been seeing some pretty decent fare sales from some different carriers. There has been a three-day Airtran and Southwest fare sale going on for the last couple of days that ends tonight (Thursday). One thing that I love about Southwest is that if you have a flight booked and then that flight goes on sale, you can rebook for the lower price at no penalty, and get a credit for the difference to use on a future flight. If you booked with points, you can just rebook for fewer points with no penalty. Also, since the number of points required is directly tied to the price of the fare, when fares drop, the number of points required drops. Basically a win/win situation!
Some examples of routes on sale include: Austin to Denver for $59 each way, Boston to Baltimore for $59 each way, Newark to St. Louis for $89 each way, Norfolk to Orlando for $89 each way, and Orange County to Phoenix for $59 each day.
Here are the details about this sale:
- Fares do not include federal excise tax of $3.80 per flight segment. A flight segment is defined as a takeoff and a landing.
- Fares do not include airport-assessed passenger facility charges (PFC) of up to $9 and government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $5 one-way.
- 10-day advance purchase required.
- Purchase from January 10 through January 12, 2012, 11:59 pm Pacific Time.
- Travel January 20 through May 16, 2012.
- Travel valid only on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.
- Travel to/from Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Florida not available on February 21. Travel to/from New Orleans not available February 21-22.
- Offer not available to/from Washington D.C. (Dulles); Ft. Myers, FL; Seattle, WA.
The Tuesday/Wednesday travel requirement makes this sale a little tough for most families to take advantage of, but it is worth mentioning just in case it works for your travel plans. Make sure to hurry if you are interested as this sale ends Thursday night at 11:59PM Pacific (which is about five hours from when this post was written).