Last year my family went to the Houston Zoo for free thanks to Bank of America’s “Museums on Us” program.  This year, the program is still going strong, and this weekend happens to be a “Museums on Us” weekend.  In case you are unfamiliar with the program, I’ll do a quick review so that you can get your family out of the house and into some fun for free.

On the first full weekend of every month, just show your Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card at any of the over 150 participating museums and zoos and get in free.  I know many of us have some of the rewards cards from Bank of America such as the US Airways debit card, Alaska Airlines Visa Signature, Hawaiian Airlines Visa Signature, Virgin Atlantic Amex, etc…  In my experience, each adult needs to show their own Bank of America card to get in, but it is simple enough to add authorized users for free.  When we went to the zoo, C still was young enough to get in free, but even if you have to pay for the kiddos it is still a huge savings over paying for everyone.

There are some pretty popular attractions on this year’s list.  My local favorites are the Houston Zoo and the Houston Children’s Museum, but there are some great museums and zoos from around the country that are also available.  A few examples of participating locations include: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) in NYC, Brooklyn Children’s Museum, Adler Planetarium in Chicago, Miami Art Museum, Birch Aquarium at Scripps in San Diego, and the Las Vegas Springs Preserve.  As you can see, while museums make up a big chunk of the participating organizations, there are aquariums, zoos, preserves, and more that are also on the list.  So, don’t rule this promotion out if you aren’t a “museum person”.

It’s a nasty, rainy Saturday here in Texas today; you may very well find it useful to take advantage of this offer before the weekend is through.  Have you used this deal in the past?  Where did you go, or where do you plan to go?

13 Responses to “Bank of America Card Holders: Go to a Museum for Free!”

1. The Wanderer says:

I always seem to forget about this benefit quite quickly after someone posts about it. Maybe I need to set up a reminder for the first weekend of every month. Won’t be able to use it this month, but hopefully in the future. It sure would be nice if I could get in to the Met next weekend during my mini-trip to NYC. Guess I should have gone this weekend instead.

2. Scottrick says:

You beat me to it! But I agree with the Wanderer, this is something that needs advanced notice. Good thing you reminded me because there’s an exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum my gf wants me to take her to.

See http://museums.bankofamerica.com/ for the list of museums.

3. John says:

Wanderer,
    The Met is not a fixed admission price. It is a suggested admission price. I have never paid the full amount to go to the Met. I have seen friends of mine who have paid as little as $1 to go in. While they may have gotten nasty looks from the cashiers, two seconds later they were enjoying the same works of art as those who paid $20.

4. [...] to post this earlier so people would have advance notice, but somehow it kept slipping my mind. Mommy Points’ post this morning jogged my memory. Bank of America offers its credit and debit card holders free [...]

5. IPBrian says:

I have used this benefit for years and LOVE it…what a great way for a company to help promote the arts!

@The Wanderer, I just always seem to be too busy on the first weekend of the month to take advantage. You are right, a reminder might be helpful. ;)

@Scottrick, well consider this advance notice for March. Thanks for the link – that is the hazard of blogging with a toddler. Play-doh time trumpted link insertion. Ha ha. All fixed now.

@John, well now no one has to be given the “stink eye”. ;)

@IPBrian, I agree. It really is a great benefit. Good for you for taking advantage!

7. CU says:

This is AWESOME — I never heard of it before, and I’ve had a BofA debit card for years. We’ll use it at the Wadsworth in Hartford and at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Thanks, Mommypoints!

8. Deb says:

Can a family get in one card?

@CU, I’m so excited that you will be able to use it. Enjoy!

@Deb, in my experience, it is one person per card.

10. noltian says:

If you register you get a reminder email from boa every month

11. DCA Rob says:

Thanks for posting this. Was sitting around on a gloomy Saturday wondering what to do and suddenly realized we could hit the Phillips Collection up the street for free. I’ve been meaning to take advantage of this for a long time.

12. D says:

Thank you for the reminder. I used the BOFA card yesterday, while I am in San Francisco, @ the Legion of Honor museum (very worthwhile BTW), saved me the $10 admission fee. They also had a prominent sign up to let BOFA customers know about this at the ticket desk.

13. [...] Freebies and Giveaways: – There is nothing better than a free trip. Bank of America Card Holders: Go to a Museum or Zoo for Free! – Did you know about this promotion for Bank of America card holders? I didn’t, but it [...]