Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
I know February is a short month, but dang did it ever fly by! This is a busy time of year in the miles and points world since elite status with most programs runs through the end of February for the previous year. On top of that, there are some other promotions and opportunities that are ending as the calendar turns to March, so here are a few reminders about things that end on February 29th.
- As I mentioned, unless you re-qualified for 2012, elite status ends with most programs on 2/29. With airlines, that can mean that some of your unused System Wide Upgrades may also expire tomorrow. I know I have recently seen many threads on Milepoint where people are graciously giving away their upgrades that they won’t be able to use before the 2/29 deadline. I have especially seen many posts related to American Airlines upgrades, so if you happen to have a long-haul American flight on the 28th or 29th, head over to Milepoint to see if anyone will be gracious enough to give you their unused eVIP. I have also seen some similar gestures for Continental and United. Alternatively, if you have no use for some upgrades that will expire anyway, consider paying homage to the travel karma gods and share your upgrades with someone else.
- If you have Hyatt Diamond status, make sure to apply your 2011 confirmed suite upgrades to reservations before the end of the month. You can use them for reservations after 2/29, but they must be applied by that date. If you later change or cancel the reservation to which you applied the upgrades after 2/29 you will lose the confirmed upgrade, but if you don’t use them by 2/29 you will lose them anyway, so it’s worth a shot even if you aren’t 100% about your future plans.
- The last guaranteed day to apply for the Continental OnePass Plus credit card is also 2/29 at 12PM Eastern. It’s always possible the card will be around for a few days longer directly from Chase than it is from affiliates like me, but it’s days are extremely numbered either way. The Continental and United merger finalizes on 3/3. There are some risks and possible drawbacks to applying for the Continental card at this point, depending on your situation. So, check out this post for additional information about whether or not it makes sense for you to apply for the card before it disappears.
- While we are talking about mergers, as AirTran and Southwest move toward their merger, 2/29 will be the last day that you can transfer American Express Membership Reward points to AirTran. One A+ credit = 1,500 Membership Reward points. Eight A+ credits = a one-way trip.
- For those who registered for the American Express “Mix and Match” promotion, the last day to make purchases to get your statement credits is 2/29. Registration is now closed to new registrants, but for those who already registered, time is running out to take advantage of this promo. Deals We Like has lots of additional information on this promo.
- Finally, the new category adjustments for the Starwood Preferred Guest program go into effect on March 1, so if you are thinking of booking an award night at a property that is going up in category make sure to lock the reservation in at the old redemption rate before Thursday. You can read more about those changes in this post.
I’m sure I have missed some miles and points related events that are ending on 2/29, so feel free to add to this list if you can think of anything else. Let’s hope that March brings with it some dynamite points offers and deals!