One of my favorite miles and points deals from 2011 was actually from the Discover America promotion.  This promotion typically lasted one day for each deal and happened over a several week period in April and May.  So, I was super excited to see in this Flyertalk thread that the promotion will be making a return in 2012!  In order to get in on the most popular deals, you had to be on your computer and ready the second they went on sale.  Even then, a little bit of luck played into who was able to purchase the deals.  I can only guess that the promotion will be even more popular this year – assuming they have some killer deals again.

One of my favorite deals was scoring 32,000 Wyndham Rewards points for $90.  My husband and I both got that deal, and I have used half of those points for my parents to have a two nights in Washington DC at the Days Inn Connecticut Avenue, and they have two more nights coming up in New York City at hotel very close to Macy’s on 34th.  Four hotel nights in expensive cities for under $200 – woohoo!

There were also other great deals last year like 20% off Marriott gift cards, inexpensive Hertz points, Hyatt points for 1 cent each, and more.  Last year you received a 10% discount for using an American Express card, and since Amex is a partner again this year I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a similar incentive for using an Amex card.

Here are the details straight from Discover America (bolding mine):

Once again in a unique five week promotion through a specially created website, DailyGetaways.com, over 20 of America’s top travel brands will come together to provide once-in-a-lifetime experiences and tremendous values unavailable anywhere else.

Daily Getaways, a promotion of the U.S. Travel Association and American Express, will run for a third time in the spring of 2012. Aimed at stimulating travel in time for summer, the promotion will once again offer incredible deals in limited quantities at up to 60 percent off product from leading travel companies. The promotion will begin with a preview period the week of April 2, 2012 and will officially open on April 9, 2012.

Any U.S. resident 18 or older with a major credit card will be able to purchase from the inventory of specially priced travel products offered by 25 leading travel companies related to destinations, hotels, airlines, rental cars, attractions and theme parks, dining, shopping, and gaming locales among others.

Did you get in on any of the Discover America deals last year?

15 Responses to “Discover America Promo Returning in April!”

1. BothofUs2 says:

Thanks for the heads up. How did they notify people of the deals last year? Email or twitter or did you have to check the page each day?

2. dealswelike says:

Love this promotion!!! And very excited that the promotion starts April 9th – I was getting nervous I’d be in Barcelona during this time and not be able to jump on the deals! I got close to 150,000 Wyndham points, 6 Radisson certificates that can be used at any US Radisson hotel, and I believe that was it. There were others I was hoping for, but unfortunately sold out in less than 3 seconds!

3. Anne says:

Sold out in 3 seconds – yikes. I do know if I can take the stress of this promotion!

4. Anne says:

I mean I don’t know if I can take the stress!

5. Ric Garrido says:

You have to be fast. The best thing for me about missing out on the Hyatt points was having more money to spend on Wyndham Rewards points and other good deals.

Wyndham Rewards points turned out to be extremely valuable as I roadtripped across the western states. There were many places where only Wyndham, Choice and Best Western were loyalty options.

Omni Hotel suites and Gaylord Hotels offered good value hotel packages that never even sold out.

6. jiml says:

I’m looking forward to stocking up for the Grand Slam. I always assume there will be one (Grand Slam) until I hear otherwise. The Marriotts at 20% off plus another 10% for using amex is a deal I will go after as well. It will be interesting to see if they change the lineup around this year. I’d prefer to see X% off of hertz versus being able to buy hertz points, as I am already long hertz points. Avis discount coupons would be appreciated as well

7. Sheila says:

I was one of the lucky ones to get the Hyatt points. So needless to say, I’m excited to see this promo coming back. I hope they increase the # of vouchers given due to the increasing popularity of this promotion.

8. Dan says:

This reminds me… I better use my Alamo certs from the 2011 promo!

9. I remember clicking so fast that my fingers hurt, but I’m happy to see this come back.

10. AussieTraveller says:

Darnit, only open to US residents, I wonder if I could move in with Mommy Points while this is on

@AussieTraveller, I’m not sure how they define resident, but maybe you can test the boundaries and find out. ;)

11. AussieTraveller says:

Actually how is resident defined, I just realised that as we will be in the US for part of the month checking out a work contract, house and visiting vegus, just maybe I could participate……

12. James says:

Wyndham points helped me secure lifetime Gold on AA – This year I’m taping my mouth shut to keep from waking the family after screaming “NOOOOO!”

13. [...] for 20% off.  This was part of the American Express Discover America promotion which is coming back this April!  I plan to watch this closely.  If the Marriott promotion comes back, I’ll definitely [...]

14. [...] posted a couple of weeks ago that the Daily Getaways, brought to you by American Express and the U.S. Travel Association, would [...]