I wasn’t sure if this was info that was really relevant to post or not, but I figured if I am going to post about things such as my ears not popping after my flight (which, by the way, still have not popped after almost two weeks and three more flights!), then I would be remiss to not introduce you to my new boss.  I’m really very fortunate to work for her as she loves aviation and travel just as much as I do, has strong opinions and a clear sense of direction, is always looking to laugh and have a good time, thinks that there should be far more vacation days than work days, and likes to take siestas in the afternoon from the hours of noon to about two.  She also has a pretty lax dress code policy and likes to lay in the grass – hurray jeans!

I have mentioned before that I have a regular full-time job, in addition to this blog.  For the past ten years (minus a short stint at NYU to get my graduate degree), I have worked in the field of child welfare.  I have had all sorts of jobs in that field from actually conducting child abuse investigations, to developing training for new child welfare workers, but working on behalf of children who are suffering from abuse or neglect has always been a passion for me.  I will forever keep a foot in that world, as it is unfortunately a world that will always need more resources, advocates, and support.  However, I now want to be able to spend more time with my own kid.  We’ve been working on what we called “Operation Simplification” for about a year now to get to a place where this would be financially possible.

Running this site, and participating in some of the related opportunities that have come along with it, on top of the full-time job had just gotten to a point where there simply weren’t enough hours in the day.  So while I could never describe myself as a “full-time blogger” without gagging or laughing hysterically (I’m from Small Town, Texas and that just sounds about as funny as selling snow in Alaska), in terms of a “job”, Mommy Points is now my focus.  It is clearly a very different sort of work than working on behalf of abused and neglected kids, but I do like to think that I am helping children and families in a (very) different capacity.  However, in terms of life in general, my focus is a little bit cuter and more interactive than a website could ever be.

I am excited that this new-found freedom will allow me to work on some things for this site that I haven’t had the time to do before.  I am also excited that it will free up more time to travel and explore with my kiddo… we may even get to tag along with some of Daddy’s work trips and have fun during the day while he is working.  ;)  You will not catch me laying in bed eating Doritos and watching re-runs of 19 Kids and Counting (well, maybe just for one day), but you will find me writing here more, helping with my kiddo’s school Easter Egg Hunt, or flying above the clouds at 36,000 feet.

Thank you ever so much for being a part of this journey for me and my family.

40 Responses to “I Have a New Travel-Obsessed Boss”

1. Kris says:

Love it!!!! Very happy for you and your family, and very excited to see the changes this will bring to your blog! Congrats!

2. phraktur says:

Congratulations!! Enjoy spending the time with your family. It’s true that they grow up way too fast.

I always look forward to your posts. Thanks!

3. Lance says:

That’s awesome – congrats!! And…that extra family time will be all worth it!

4. joe says:

So I guess now it’s official –

you are REALLY in it for the money.

5. gpapadop says:

Good luck in your new job! I like your Operation “simplification” term! I am all for simplification. And looking for even better things from your blog now!

6. greggh says:

Mommy Points has left her real world job to become a full time blogger. Sounds just like The Points Guy who left his Wall Street Job

7. Colleen says:

from the slow group – are you saying you quit your day job?

8. janet says:

congratulations!! i am at “stay-at-home” mom as well & know that you will be so blessed and so rewarded! you will never regret the decision to stay home (even tho you might find yourself rarely AT home!)
    some days will be hard & you may wish you could “get away” to work…but then you’ll hear a little voice call you “momma”, ask to read that book for the 300th time, and you’ll look into big blue eyes & KNOW you made the right choice! : )

9. Your new boss may demand another visit to a Disney Park or resort! Teach her the word Aulani or Disneyland Paris and you will getting ready for another long business trip.

10. Goosh says:

I was recently reading some flyer talk threads in the United forum about the youngest people with status. Pretty interesting reads. Maybe you can get Little C to be the youngest United GS member or at the very least 1K.

11. bluto says:

We have a boss like that. No sick days and no overtime pay. Prone to tantrums, too. We need to unionize.

Congratulations.

12. DavidAL says:

Kudos. Many many kids need love in our backyard. As blessed as all of us are reading this (food to eat tonight, roof over your head tonight), there are kids in your cIty, no matter how small, that don’t have those things tonight.

13. Dennybob says:

Way to go Mommy Points. I’m happy for you. Really enjoy your perspective on this blog.

14. Kathy says:

NICE! I LOVED you before, now knowing both what you did and what you do I love you even more! My lil’ travelers started at three months old and now are 15 and 21. ENJOY your girl! They grow up very fast!

15. Awesome, awesome stuff! Well deserved and can’t wait for even more great info coming from you!

16. Vinny V says:

Congratulations, Sra. Mommy Points!

Look forward to you not pushing CCs…as much!

17. goheerow says:

Congrats and good luck!

18. Jimgotkp says:

Congrats! Do I smell a future post by “The Man” about this change? :P :)

19. Jamison says:

can’t wait to see Mommy Points on TV and on travel-related talk shows

20. Marilyn says:

Wohoo!!! Congratulations on making the jump.

I’m a big fan of your blogs. You are a great bridge to newer people playing the game. Flyertalk can be really overwhelming to find the information and asking a question can get you flamed. So I really appreciate you explaining things so clearly.

21. deedee says:

Wow…kuddos to you! Exciting news and frankly your readers get to benefit too ;0) congrats!

22. IPBrian says:

I am so so so happy this all working out for you all! Congrats…you do a wonderful job!

23. nicehands says:

Congratulations on your life change. I always enjoy your posts. So, how much longer until the next Megado??

24. emily e says:

Contests! I’m making the move from WOHM to SAHM later this year myself and cant wait.

25. Jimmy says:

Great news for everyone! Congrats and thank you for all you do!

26. Autolycus says:

Congratulations on the “new” gig. Don’t let the new boss push you around too much or you’ll regret it for literally the rest of your life. ;)

@Kris, thanks! I am excited to get to a few “blog projects” that I have been wanting to do.

@pharktur, they do grow fast for sure. Thanks so much for reading!

@Lance, thank you! I think putting extra focus on family is always a good thing. I’m excited!

@Joe, ha ha. I thought you might say that. While I absolutely love what I get to do with Mommy Points, there certainly is a “job” element to it. Though the great news is that no money ever has to come from readers directly. Everyone is free to come and go and read what they find helpful.

@gpapadop, I agree that simplification can be a fantastic thing. Thanks!

@greggh, I think there are some similarities and some differences in that comparison. I love The Points Guy, but our situations are a little bit different. Either way, I am very excited with my new “job”. ;)

@Colleen, yes. ;)

@infamousdx, thank you!

@Janet, those big blue eyes can get me every time. Thank you!

@Perryplatypus, those would be good words to add to her vocabulary.

@Goosh, ha ha. That would be awesome. Of course, that would mean not flying her on points so often, so that may be a hitch in the plan. ;)

@bluto, I’m all for unionizing! ;)

@DavidAL, that is so very true. The things that go on behind closed doors all over our own cities place some kiddos in very bad situations. There is no shortage of need in our own backyard for sure.

@Dennybob, thanks so much.

@Kathy, aw thanks! I love having a 10 year background in social work. I think it helps keep some things in perspective. Sounds like your kiddos have had some great adventures!

@Extra Pack of Peanuts, thanks!

@Vinny V, thanks!

@goheerow, thank you!

@Jimgotkp, ha ha. We’ll see. Sadly, his job (which he is very much keeping) has kept him too busy recently to do any posting, but maybe he’ll get a chance soon. ;)

@Jamison, ha ha. That would be fun. ;) I do have some video blog stuff coming soon to an internet near you.

@Marilyn, thanks! Flyertalk is great wealth of knowledge, but I agree it can be a bit overwhelming at first. I’m honored to be a bridge for newbies or oldies alike.

@deedee, my goal is certainly be a win-win for everyone. Thanks!

@IPBrian, aw, thank you!

@nicehands, thanks so much. As for the MegaDO, it is rumored to be in September, but they are still working out some of the details of the charter flights so no official details yet. Hopefully soon!

@emily e, congrats on making the transition yourself. How exciting!

@Jimmy, thanks so much!

@Autolycus, agreed. She’s the “boss”, but she’s not the boss. (at least, mostly). ;)

28. BothofUs2 says:

Congrats MP, keep up the great blog! I’m glad to hear that you are getting a chance for more family time.

29. FloridaDO says:

Congrats!!!!! I love your blog! it’s simple and easy to follow , thanks for having this awesome travel blog accessible to us :)

30. InACents says:

That is such great news MP! Enjoy your new “career!” I hope to one day be able to make the switch to full time stay at home dad too, but we will see what Mrs. InACents has to say about that. :)

31. chuck says:

wow, great post.

i thought you had lived next door to me cuz i guess I saw a look a like the other day. do you see the Bushes in Texas?

32. Joseph M says:

You be sure to give us a progress report on your new job during FTU next month!

33. Congratulations. your honest, down to earth approach is greatly appreciated. I’m confident your venture will be a successful one.

@BothofUs2, thanks so much! I’m pretty excited about being home with my little family some more as well.

@FloridaDO, thanks so much. I’m glad that the site is helpful for you!

@InACents, ha ha. Just keep working on her and thank you. ;)

@chuck, if by the Bushes you mean the Presidents then no, we don’t typically cross paths. ;)

@Joseph M, will do!

@Rick, thanks so much for the nice words. I’m pretty excited about the new venture….wherever it may take me.

35. KWu says:

Congratulations, I’m really happy for you! Looking forward to more great stuff from the blog.

36. Congrats and welcome to the club! :-)

It’s scary and rewarding at the same time. Look forward to catching up at the Freddies and FTU!

@KWu, thank you!
    @The Points Guy, ha ha, thanks. It is a big change from my old job for sure. Look forward to catching up with you soon as well!

38. Deb says:

Congrats MP. You have been so helpful with your blog and I look forward to more great entries. I was hoping to meet you at FTU but alas I have to work tha weekend. Maybe next year.

39. Lauren says:

congrats! i look forward to continuing to follow your blog