Most likely due to the flurry of activity with the recent sign-up bonus changes for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, the Ink Bold Business, and the Chase Freedom card, I have recently received several questions about how to transfer Ultimate Reward points from one account to another.  Since I actually just did this from my old Ink Bold business card to my Chase Sapphire Preferred account, I am happy to report back on how the process went.  I moved my points just in case I needed to close my old Ink Bold card when I applied for the new Ink Bold card.  As it turns out, I didn’t have to close that account, but moving the points just in case was a solid “just in case” move, and now has them consolidated with my other Ultimate Rewards points.
Anyway, back to the transfer process.  Below are the Ultimate Rewards transfer rules directly from Chase’s website.  I bolded the part that seems most important to me.
Account-to-Account Point/Cash Back Rewards Transfers: Cash Back Rewards is a form of rebates subject to these Program Redemption Rules. You may transfer points/rebates to any other eligible credit card or debit card with Ultimate Rewards. You may only transfer points to accounts earning in points and rebates to accounts earning in rebates. Transfers may only be used to combine points/rebates belonging to the same individual or business in the Program; or for the purpose of enabling spouses or domestic partners to combine points/rebates earned in their respective names. If the transferee’s or your credit card account(s) or checking account(s), as applicable, are in default at the time of the transfer, Chase will not make the transfer. Once points/rebates are transferred, they cannot be credited back.
I have heard about many folks who transfer points to/from Ultimate Rewards accounts of their parents, siblings, etc.  While it seems that type of transfer will often work, just be aware that it is outside the official rules.  However, transfers between spouses/domestic partners and to the same “individual or business” in the program are within the official rules.  In some cases it may make sense for one partner to have the Chase Freedom card and the other has the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.  That way, only one annual fee is paid on the Sapphire Preferred, but the Ultimate Rewards points earned on the Freedom can be transferred to the UR account linked to the Sapphire Preferred and then on to hotel and airline programs.
Now that you know the rules, here are the steps for making a transfer:
1.  Log in either to your account on Chase.com or at www.ultimaterewards.com (or have someone else log into the account that you wish to transfer from if it is someone else’s account).
Often when I log in at Chase.com, my Freedom and Sapphire Preferred accounts immediately displays a screen that asks if I want to combine points.
If you log in from ultimaterewards.com, you then select “Manage Ultimate Rewards” from the top of the screen.
Once you click on “Manage Ultimate Rewards”, look on the left-hand side of the screen for an option that says “Combine Ultimate Rewards points”.
2.  Whether you went directly from your account or from ultimaterewards.com, the next step will then be to select which account you want to transfer from, and which account you want to transfer to.  They may both already be options in the drop down boxes, or you may have to enter the information in by selecting “other”.  You will need the account number and the last name of the account holder to whom you want to transfer points.
3.  Enter how many points you wish to transfer and then confirm that is the correct amount.
The transfer should pretty much be instant, and you have now combined Ultimate Reward points.  Congrats!  ;)  This is how I moved the points from my Ink Bold Business card to my Chase Sapphire Preferred card yesterday, and it is how I will move points from my Chase Freedom Visa to my Sapphire Preferred card when it comes time to make a transfer to a hotel or airline partner.  It’s a pretty simple process and I am thankful that Chase has a family-friendly policy of letting spouses and domestic partners freely move points between accounts.
What has your experience been with transferring points from one account to another?
Disclaimer: I do receive a commission if you apply for credit using one of my links.  With it, you get a phenomenal points-earning credit card and my sincerest gratitude.

10 Responses to “Transferring Ultimate Reward Points Between Accounts”

1. DavidAL says:

Always instant for me, or at least as long as it took me to log out of 1 account and log into another. Have transferred within numerous accounts.

2. KWu says:

Thanks for following up on that topic so quickly! I agree that it’s really nice that Chase has such a family-friendly policy when it comes to transferring points. Before I knew about this account transfer option, I was thinking of adding my husband as an authorized user on my own Chase Sapphire card so that we would be earning points on the same card. Do you think it matters much whether he continues to use his own Chase Sapphire or not? Here’s how I’m thinking of it so far:
    – pros for having him as an authorized user on my account
    1. Easier to see total UR earned
    2. The point he earns that would have been on his own card, consolidated into one account, now all qualify for the 7% annual bonus if we pay the annual fee (this is with the assumption that transferred points don’t count towards the 7% annual bonus…do they?)
    – cons for having him stop using his own CS card
    1. If at a later point he wants to apply for other Chase card offers, could be harder to explain why there was a lot of spend on a card initially and then it dropped off without going into how it was mostly just to get the sign-up bonus

What do you think, MP? Anything else to consider when it comes to planning a family strategy for earning points on different cards?

I’ve also been approved for the Chase Freedom, hooray! Which I think I will just add him as an authorized user and “save” that inquiry of his own for a later point after his most recent Chase card application, plus hopefully that bonus would get higher again.

3. Jared says:

So…are you implying that if I transfer UR points from my Freedom card to my parents’ Sapphire Preferred, I’m risking losing my points?

4. Frieda says:

Does this transferred points earn the 7% dividend?

5. RKToledo says:

If you transfer points into your Sapphire account, will Chase provide a 7% dividend at the EOY on these points. This probably not per terms of program but any reports of this occuring for EOY 2011.

@DavidAL, thanks for sharing! That has been my experience so far as well.

@KWu, in general, I don’t see much benefit to spouses/partners each having their own Sapphire Preferred account. It makes sense for each to get their own initially to get the bonus, but after the first year, I would drop down to one and just have the other partner be an authorized user. I think many of us have spending that drops off on a card. In a perfect world, keep putting some purchases on there off and on until you cancel. Transferred points in from other accounts MAY get the 7%. Not supposed to, but it has happened. Congrats on getting the Freedom!

@Jared, I’m not meaning to imply any outcome, just making sure that everyone is clear on the official rules. The only adverse outcomes I have personally heard of were when people were transferring huge numbers of points each month to/from others – and those persons likely would have had trouble regardless of whether they were transferring to a spouse or a stranger. However, it is still always good to know the official rules.

@Frieda, technically, no. In practice, maybe, maybe not.

@RKToledo, you are correct that is not part of the terms, but, yes, there are some reports.

7. Maury says:

I recently had to call customer service to transfer cause they said that my last name in my other Chase accounts didn’t match. Everything went well after they corrected everything.

8. Mr_Anonymous says:

i just transferred my chase freedom points, the info you provided was very helpful

9. Annie says:

I have a question that I can’t seem to find answers anywhere. Can one transfer points from Chase Freedom Credit Card account to Chase’s Amazon Visa Card account. They are both from Chase, both have a reward program, but I can’t tell if they are both the same “Ultimate Reward” program. I have called Chase and tried asking this question, but the answers were inconclusive. The phone rep just said that YES, you can transfer between accounts, but I don’t think he knows if there is a difference between from/to a regular chase credit card accont, and a “Amazon” (or store/airline/etc…) card account. Does anyone have both cards that can varify this?

10. Greg says:

Hmm… This doesn’t seem to be working. Maybe Chase changed their parameters since this post. The menus don’t look quite the same, but I can find the Combine Points menu under “Earn Faster”. There is also a “Transfer Points” item on the left-hand menu.
    But the “Transfer Points” item seems to be only for transferring points into my own “travel partner” (airline, hotel chain) accounts, and I want to transfer to my wife’s Ultimate Rewards account.
    When I enter her account number and last name, it says “invalid account” — although everything is all correct!
    (I did read that one can transfer points into a spouse’s travel partner account, but again, I want to transfer into her Ultimate Rewards account.)
    Looks like a call to customer service is in order.