I love free miles, and I especially love valuable free United miles.  With TopGuest.com, I can get free and easy United miles on a regular basis when I “check in” at the airport.  Up until last week, I would check-in to the airport on FourSquare (after I registered with TopGuest), within a minute I would get an email from TopGuest saying I just earned 50 United miles (and often some hotel points as well), then within a few days those United miles would be in my MileagePlus account.  Easy, quick, free, perfect.

However, when I checked into both the airports in Houston and San Antonio on Friday there were no emails confirming that I would get United miles.  I still got 50 Priority Club points in Houston, but nothing from United.  I did a little research and found that others were experiencing the same tragic phenomenon.  From this Flyertalk thread, it looks like the agreement between United and TopGuest has expired.  In the same thread, it seems that there is some hope that a new agreement might be reached, so I am crossing my fingers that would work out.  50 miles isn’t much, but it can easily add up to a few thousand free miles per year for virtually no work.

TopGuest does still have agreements with several other partners, but I very much hope United comes back soon!  Do you regularly use TopGuest?  What do you think of getting free points by just checking in somewhere?

36 Responses to “TopGuest Not Awarding United Miles…….at least not right now”

1. I noticed the same thing as far back as Memorial Day…wouldn’t have been very many miles, but every little bit helps.

2. Kathy says:

I just became familiar with topquest a few months ago but really started “checking in” around town the last couple of weeks. I have gotten a good bit of miles for doing really nothing but being “near” many hotels. Really hope the United agreement will work out as I will be flying soon.

3. Jeff says:

what would you say is the next best value as far as TopGuest partners? Thx!

4. Daninstl says:

I hope United comes back. Seems like Virgin points aren’t posting either. I enjoy top guest but I figure it will eventually stop giving points or miles due to abuse by some users.

5. Carsten Varming says:

100 Miles (United and Continental, both still worked until June 15th) a day is just too much to leave on the table, whence loads of people have been checking in with United every single day. I doubt the marketing value is worth the miles both what do I know about marketing.

Like so many other times, yet again, the miles and points game has changed slightly.

6. Tim2 says:

I know the topic is about miles but my Priority Club points arent posting either. I get emails but no points. No problems with doubletrees though. Is the jig up? I vaguely remember that hilton was expiring

7. Michael says:

United miles and confirmation emails stopped coming in about a week or so ago. Hilton points stopped posting in early April, even though the confirmation emails still come in when you check in. In my case, Priority Club and Best Western points continue to post on a daily basis, and I’ve been using TopGuest to build up my balance to have enough for a Grand Slam transfer hit from each of these reward programs.

8. Kelly says:

Hilton points are still posting. It makes me wonder if Topguest has blocked a number of people who are abusing the system…especially those that check in to 3 different hotels a day. I can still get points from Wyndham, Hilton and Priority Club with no problem. I have never checked in more than once a day, with the exceptionn of United and a hotel. And I don’t do it on a daily basis.

9. I noticed the same thing this weekend at TUL. BUMMER!

10. Double Bummer…I just realized Hampton has fallen off the list…probably happened back in early May given my points credit.

11. Tim2 says:

@ kelly, I used to be able to get points from Holiday inn, Holiday inn express and crown plaza in one day. That died a long time ago. Now I can only get points for check ins after 7pm. I really only care about Hilton so hopefully that will stay alive

12. Knarf says:

I just setup everything last wkend, so it’s probably my fault that the United stopped working. The hotels seem to still be posting, with the workaround. I hope it lasts.

13. Liz says:

You made me aware of this the first time, so to share the favor- Amex has another local twitter promotion. $10 off $10+ purchase at small businesses in Boston, Philly, or Chicago. Any suggestions on where to spend?

14. DaninSTL says:

@w brian duncan
    I had the same problem with hampton not posting awhile back so I heard you had to then check in at doubletree. I started doing that and it works good lately. Don’t know how long though.

It seems like some of the chains only allow points for certain brands.

15. Autolycus says:

With Hilton, it seems that Doubltree check-ins are still posting, but that’s it. I have gotten points as recently as last week for Doubletree check-ins.

16. Naif says:

not posting for me either

17. Guilty As Charged says:

I drive by SFO daily and check in from my bus. Then I got this email:

Hi GAS, We noticed you’re a big user of Topguest (great) but that you seem to be using the service in ways that violate our Terms of Service (less great). Specifically, we have noticed over time that you seem to be checking in to our partner venues in a way that is not in the spirit of the Topguest program and in breach of Section (1) (c) of our TOS. You can find more information about our fair use policy on http://www.topguest.com/support. If we continue to see this behavior, we will terminate your Topguest account and you will no longer be eligible to earn points for your checkins. Regards, Topguest.

18. Guilty As Charged says:

Whoops forgot to detail what I was doing: I was checking into United, Virgin and Best Western – one right after another.

~Guilty As Charged

-Sorry to hear many of you are having some issues with other partners as well. I honestly have only ever checked in once when I wasn’t actually there (and that was to test and see if it worked from my home 30 miles away – it did), so I don’t have as much experience as some of you with the various partners. I’m still getting the PC emails, so they seem to be working, but I haven’t done any other one recently. Bring back free United miles! ;)

20. chris says:

I would check into 2 places every day but alwasy had at least 1 hour between, the first was a double tree near the airport and i would get 50 hilton points and 50 united miles for one chekc in. then later i would check into a holiday inn and get 50 pc points. I have gotten over 25k points from both hh and pc. you can even check in twice in one day if you time it around Standard GMT.
    so right now the turn over point from one day to the next is 5:00 PM PDT or 8:00 PM EDT.
    Just remember always to keep at least 1 hour between checkins so yuo dont get a “you have been bad” note from top guest

21. Nick says:

I have noticed that you need to be “on location” now to get your points, no checking in from half a mile away.

22. Gary S says:

Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t even notice. I use auto4sq to auto checkin, so my topguest has been on autopilot for a few weeks now. Hat tip to Paddy for the auto4sq tip ( http://paddyinba.blogspot.com/2012/05/travel-hacking-tip-12-auto-foursquare.html )

23. DaninSTL says:

Auto4sq is a violation of t&c and will get you shut down over time. Use with extreme caution.

24. Quickroute says:

Yes – unfortunately United is currently ‘out of service’ and I was getting the Continental / United double dip having signed up before the merger – the others are still going strong for now

25. DaninSTL says:

I did confirm that Virgin also has shut down as of June 15th. Per the Virgin website offer:
    “Terms and Conditions:
    *This offer is valid from November 15, 2010 until June 15, 2012. To be eligible for this offer you must be both a member of Topguest and Virgin America Elevate rewards programs.”
    Just when I got started with them. Too sad.

26. JB says:

I just got an email from Best Western. It says that BW is discontinuing its relationship with Topguest effective 30 June 2012.

27. [...] Bonus on Gas, Drug Stores, and Amusement Parks from US Airways MasterCard (Targeted)mommypoints on TopGuest Not Awarding United Miles…….at least not right nowJB on TopGuest Not Awarding United Miles…….at least not right nowLindsay on 5X Bonus on [...]

28. David says:

I got no points after June 15, but I just got 500 miles posted today on United.

29. Yichuan says:

I got that 500 too. It says “MileagePlus Mobile Offers”, what does that mean? Has the partnership started again? Or is this 500 miles the last time we will get from check-ins? I’ll do a test and report back.

30. I did get a credit email for my checkin at IAH on 6/14, but I don’t see anything for my check-in last night…bummer…

31. Yichuan says:

I realize the 500 miles is from a different offer, not topguest. So it seems that topguest is not awarding UA miles, for now.

32. Maxim says:

United promo expired on June 15th, but Virgin miles are still posting.

33. RONG says:

It gone.

Thank you for your participation in MileagePlus® social offers.

This promotion ended on June 15, 2012. Registration has closed and MileagePlus award miles are no longer being offered for checking in via Facebook or Foursquare at United airports.

We hope you will continue to take advantage of the many other ways to earn MileagePlus award miles. To learn more about earning and using miles, please visit mileageplus.com.

34. [...] So not only is Virgin America still participating in Topguest (I heard in late June they were leaving like United), but you can earn double miles and a chance to win Elevate Silver Status for 5 days, starting [...]