I just received an email that Best Western and TopGuest will be “breaking up” as of June 30th.  I posted a few days ago that United and TopGuest no longer have an active relationship, and it seems that some other partners are on their way out as well.  With the most recent info that Best Western was no longer going to be a partner, I just have to wonder what the future holds for TopGuest.  It was a great easy and free way to earn points by just “checking in” to locations using your smart phone.  Of course, some people checked into places that they weren’t physically at, but many used it for its intended purpose of sharing your actual location at an airport or hotel.  Whether you used TopGuest as intended or not, the gig is almost up for Best Western points.

My best advice is use TopGuest to virtually “check in” while it lasts, but I am worried that the clock may be ticking for these easy points (or more accurately, with some partners, time has already expired).

14 Responses to “Best Western and TopGuest Are Breaking Up”

1. Tim2 says:

The jig is up. I hope Hilton keeps going strong.

2. Scott says:

i just signed up for all this yesterday :(. I always seem to be late to the party with these things. Oh well I guess i can still get Hilton and priority club, for a little while anyway. They will probably pull the plug too.

3. eds1830 says:

let’s face it. The business model is not working.

@Tim2, I hope it does, too.
    @Scott, oh no! Sorry you are late to the TopGuest party. Hopefully you have time to get a few points before the lights are turned off.
    @eds1830, I think you must be right.

5. Susan says:

My Hilton (Doubletree & Hampton) check-ins have not been working this last week. Anyone else have this issue?

6. Rayn says:

“Of course, some people checked into places that they weren’t physically at, but many used it for its intended purpose of sharing your actual location at an airport or hotel.”

In realistic, it is more likely to be “…most people checked into places that they weren’t physically at, but some used it…”.

That is why the business model failed. The rewards chains found low or no value is related to topguest program and stop it.

@Susan, I think in the United post I linked to, some were reporting that issue.
    @Rayn, you might be right. ;)

8. heathrown says:

Well, there goes TopGuest for the UK. There are only a few DoubleTrees here, no Hamptons, and the PriorityClub hotels here don’t participate. BW was the only opportunity.

9. Scott says:

Susan says:
    June 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I have the same issue. I have tried my local hampton 3 times now. No points reported at all to topguest

10. Daninstl says:

Virgin is done, united is done. Hamptons don’t work anymore and now BW. Dang and I’m so close to the transfer amounts I “may” need “if” there is a grand slam again this year.

Funny thing is that the BW promo made me want to stay at more of those properties. I was surprised that I felt that way.

11. […] TopGuest stopped partnering with United only days before the interview went up. And Mommy Points shared the news today that June 30th is the last day to earn Best Western Rewards. Fortunately you can still earn Hilton […]

12. I use it for Priority Club mostly. There is a Holiday Inn near where I work and that earns me the most hits. Is this of value to Holiday Inn, I cannot think why. Does it cost them very much – 50 points – not really!

13. Anita says:

One possible value to the hotel chains is that we were all thinking about / looking for their hotels on a (possibly) daily basis. That kind of mind-space is of great value, and they were getting us to generate it ourselves rather than pushing it via advertising.

I know I gave Hampton, best western, and holiday inn more thought in the past year than I’ve given them in my entire life up until now.