Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
I’m kind of too excited to articulate myself very well, but I will give it a shot. Let’s just say that Jared’s post at Online Travel Review earned him a permanent spot on my Christmas list. Read the original post here and today’s follow-up here. The comments section has extremely helpful information as well. The short story is that due to a favorable currency exchange rate, a promotion for purchasing miles, and a partner relationship with Alaska Airlines, you can purchase $328 in miles on Icelandair and use them to fly first class round trip to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines. Yes, this is real. This is not a 4 to Hong Kong situation. 😉
Million Mile Secrets now has a very helpful and detailed post here. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel with screen shots when he has that covered, so I will just tell you what worked for me.
- I searched for the 75,000 miles RT first class Super Saver award level at Alaska Airlines for the number of seats I needed.
- I compared that with “A” availability on ExpertFlyer.com (free five day trials available).
- I only looked for direct flights from the West Coast. I will position myself from Houston to there. Adding in the Seattle connection seems to be problematic, so I opted to not even attempt that.
- I called Icelandair at 1-800- to verify they saw the same availability that I did before I spent any actual money.
- I then hung-up and purchased the miles online (use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee). You can transfer miles between accounts to save more, but I think the price I was getting is more than fair, so I didn’t do that extra step.
- I called Icelandair back and gave them the airport codes where I wanted to fly to/from. I gave them the dates, the number of people, and they guessed that I wanted first/business class.
- They confirmed the availability and got the information for me and my tiny traveling companion.
- I was charged $38.93 per person in taxes/fees and the 30,000 miles per person that I had previously purchased.
- I got my confirmation number and was told the tickets will be ticket on Monday or Tuesday and will be emailed to me.
They were incredibly nice and helpful over the phone. They knew what I wanted the second they answered (which took about 3-4 minutes). Who knows how long this will last, but it is certainly working right now. Oh my goodness. Holy moley. Happy Friday. I heart Online Travel Review. Aloha!