This 150 MyPoints per dollar deal came to my attention last night, but I didn’t have too much time to play with it before going to bed.  I also wasn’t sure if it was worth the risk as there is/was some confusion over whether you are earning 150 MyPoints per dollar of 150 points in the Open Sky program.  If you don’t know what I am talking about, there is a limited time deal with MyPoints where you are awarded 150 points per dollar if you make a purchase by going through MyPoints to Open Sky.  Don’t worry if you have never heard of these sites – I had only barely heard of MyPoints before (but apparently I had an account with them).  This deal is valid up to $500 worth of goods per household, and my understanding is they are pretty strict about people having multiple accounts.  That means you could potentially earn 75,000 MyPoints for your $500 purchase (of overpriced fancy-schmancey goods).

75,000 points can get you:

• $575 worth of Hyatt gift cards
  • $575 worth of Marriott gift cards
  • $510 worth of REI gift cards
  • 35,000 United miles + $25 Hyatt gift card
  • $400 deposited into your PayPal account + $25 REI gift card
  • $500 in Amazon.com gift cards
  • $625 in Macy’s gift cards

There are tons of different options on how to redeem points – those are just examples.  However, it is easy to see that you are making money by purchasing up to $500 worth of items.  That gets filed under both crazy and can’t miss.  Of course, anything that is too good to be true….  So, to be on the safe side I put my purchase on a personal Amex card that I know has good return protection.  You are also able to return most items for free to Open Sky within 30 days of order receipt.

You could purchase items with the intent of reselling them on ebay, Amazon, etc.  I seriously considered that, but in the end purchased items we had been wanting like new kitchen knives, a fancy scale, and a fancy baking dish.  I will likely redeem for either Hyatt gift cards since I have Hyatt expenses coming up anyway, or Macy’s gift cards and everyone is getting Macy’s gear for Christmas.  ;)  Since I will be getting (almost) the amount I spent back in gift cards to places we would have used anyway, this was basically free stuff…if it all works out.

For more info head to Slick Deals, Frequent Miler, View From the Wing, or Deals We Like.

16 Responses to “$500 Worth of Goods Basically for Free”

1. Sean says:

If read the disclaimer is states:

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

“OpenSky points are different from Points earned in the MyPoints program and may not be used for MyPoints rewards.”

To me, this would imply that you are getting OpenSky points, not MyPoints. Just my interpretation though, good luck!

@Sean, yeah there is some risk. There are also statements and screen shots that show it is MyPoints. Some also called to confirm that they are indeed receiving MyPoints (though some were also told Open Sky). So, proceed with caution, but I’ll put my chips in to see how it works out. ;)

2. It’s been vetted by numerous bloggers and we have heard from MyPoints that it is good. The OpenSky is a rebate on their own site which we will also earn.

3. Jennifer says:

There’s actually some really nice stuff on there! I got a cute iPhone case, some candles, some soap and well, I’m still working on getting up to $500!! I wonder what happens if you go *over* the $500, because the email from MyPoints says you will receive the 150 points on orders UP TO $500. Maybe I should try to get as close to $500 without going over.

4. Jeff says:

Wow this is a good deal.. So if I buy my DSLR camera worth $1k I will received $500 worth of gift card? When is this offer gonna end?

5. Rick says:

I would be careful with this because if you receive open sky points they redeem at a very low level compared to my points.

6. Robert Hanson says:

Look at the My Points website, the banner ad for 150 points per dollar has an Open Sky logo, not a My Points logo next to it. It mentions “points” several times, but does NOT mention what kind of points. Plus the disclaimer that Open Sky points are not valid for My Points rewards is part of the description of the offer. Why that disclaimer in that place? Because you are not getting My Points points but Open Sky points. If anyone is going to use the fact that a CSR on the phone told them otherwise, they’d better have a recording of the whole call to back that up with when My Points disputes that their CSR ever said it.

7. david says:

@Robert Hanson
    But in addition to all of the confirmation that it’s My Points – they use the term “Points” with a capital “P” for what you’ll earn as opposed to “points” with a lower case “p” which they use when referring to the other points. The capital “P” Points is used consistently throughout the site to refer to My Points. No way they have a legitimate argument it isn’t referring to My Points. I think the disclaimer is to make sure people know the OS points they earn through the purchase as well are not useable on My Points.

8. CC says:

Did MyPoints take it down? I found a link on the MyPoints site, but the link to Open Sky isn’t working.

I don’t see the banner, but still see it listed on their retailer page. Maybe they are in the process of removing it….though it appeared to have died once earlier today and then it came back.

9. Nick says:

I got the email but it didn’t register. Looks like the maximum number of points has been claimed, who knows it may come alive before the 30th again.

10. shopdollee says:

I’m getting an error message when I click on the link.

11. Michael says:

Deal dead again?

12. HoKo says:

@MommyPoints Any update on this? I still don’t see any points in my account unfortunately

13. [...] morning I read Frequent Miler’s post about the 150 points per dollar deal from MyPoints and OpenSky and decided it was also time for me to follow up since it had been 30 days and my points had not [...]