Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
A year or so ago it seems like we were getting points for “checking in” on FourSquare or via TopGuest like it was going out of style…and I guess it kind of was since that gravy train isn’t nearly as lucrative as it was even 12 months ago. However, Starwood Prerferred Guest is bringing back 2011 by giving 250 bonus points when guests check-in virtually on FourSquare or Facebook if you are registered for the SPG “Better By the Night” promotion. For those new to FourSquare, this has nothing to do with actually checking in to your hotel room, it just means that you use your smart phone to let your online friends know where you are. Because we are all so important that everyone needs to know where we are at all times! 😉
It takes just a second, so it is a very easy way to earn the most valuable type of point out there. Here are the steps to get the bonus points or other promotions that may be available at different times.
2. Check-in when you are staying at a SPG hotel or resort.
3. Earn points when specials are available.
Here are a few of the terms and FAQs that stood out to me as interesting:
- You must be a member of SPG and have an account with Facebook, Inc (“Facebook”) and/or Foursquare Labs, Inc. (“Foursquare”) to participate in the Program. Membership in the SPG program is free at www.spg.com. A Facebook account is free at www.facebook.com. A Foursquare account is free at www.foursquare.com.
- Only one SPG member account may be linked to a Facebook and/or a Foursquare account, and both accounts must belong to the same person.
- Only one Facebook and/or Foursquare check-in per property per member per 24-hour time period.
Do I need a confirmed reservation with every Facebook and/or foursquare check-in to earn Starpoints?
While some bonus Starpoints offers do require a confirmed reservation to earn Starpoints for check-ins, we plan to feature many different specials throughout the year, and not all of these will require a confirmed reservation.
For bonus opportunities with a confirmed reservation, what constitutes an SPG “eligible stay”?
An eligible stay is any stay at an SPG property paying a qualifying eligible rate that earns Starpoints. Stays booked through prepaid, third-party channels, such as Orbitz.com, Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, etc., are not eligible Rate Plans, and therefore the member may not earn Starpoints and will not qualify for any bonus offer. Please see the standard Starwood Preferred Guest® terms and conditions for additional information at SPG.com/T&C.
For SPG Facebook and/or foursquare specials with a confirmed reservation, if part of my stay has an Award Night or a night using Cash & Points, does my stay qualify?
Yes, Award Night and Cash & Points reservations are eligible for SPG Facebook and/or foursquare check-in specials. Please ensure the reservation number for your stay is under the same SPG number you have associated with your Facebook and/or foursquare account.
SPG points are really tough to earn since there isn’t a a SPG shopping portal or lots of points to earn via SPG credit card spending bonuses, so every little bit helps. With the “Better by the Night” promotion, you can earn double SPG points on eligible stays of 1 or 2 nights or triple SPG points on eligible stays of 3 or more nights, but you also earn:
- 500 Starpoints for eligible stays booked through the SPG App for iPhone
- 250 Starpoints for eligible stays booked at spg.com
- 250 Starpoints for check-ins on foursquare during eligible stays; just link your SPG and foursquare accounts here
That’s easily 500 – 750 extra points per stay just by being strategic and putting your smart phone to good use. I’m happy to see some more easy social media points available!