This is a great promo for MileagePlus cardmembers where you can earn up to 5,000 bonus award miles when you register and spend at least $1,000 USD or equivalent in local currency on your MileagePlus® Credit Card between August 1 and October 31, 2012.

The registration page let me register, and the offer doesn’t appear to be targeted, but I have been able to register for United promos before that I wasn’t targeted for (and they didn’t end up working).  I say that since just because you can register for a United promo, doesn’t always mean that it will work for you in the end.  Of course I went ahead and registered for this one and have my fingers crossed that it will work for me!

Thanks a million to LAXJunkie415 on Milepoint for sharing this info.  On that thread some are saying that previous spending counts within the 8/1 – 10/31 time frame.  If that is true, it would be great as we have certainly already met that requirement.

Certainly can’t hurt to register and see what happens!

Here are the official terms and conditions:

You must be an existing cardholder as of August 1, 2012. You must register for this offer. With this offer, you will receive 5,000 bonus award miles after you make a minimum qualifying card spend of $1,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) between August 1 and October 31, 2012. Please allow 8-10 weeks following the close of the promotion for bonus award miles to post to your MileagePlus account. Bonus may be earned one time per primary cardholder. To be eligible for this offer, your account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. New MileagePlus Cardmembers are not eligible. Offer expires on October 31, 2012. Offer subject to change without notice.

Miles accrued and awards issued are subject to the rules of the United® MileagePlus program. United, its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies or partners. Please allow eight to ten weeks after close of the promotion for bonus miles to be posted to your MileagePlus account. Bonus miles and miles earned through non-flight activity do not count towards Premier® status. Bonus mile offers are subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United may change MileagePlus program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus program at any time and without notice.

Offer valid once per MileagePlus account number.

49 Responses to “Potentially Earn 5,000 Bonus United Miles with MileagePlus Card Promo”

1. Blaine says:

Just saw this on MP and had copied the link to email to you for the blog! Then I came to the blog to get your email address, and, bam!

@Blaine, thanks for thinking of me! Saw it waiting in line at Starbucks earlier this morning, and wrote it up as soon as I got home (well, after I drank my much needed caffeine!). ;)

3. [...] Mommy Pints posted about a promotion from United to earn 5,000 miles when you spend $1,000 on your MileagePlus credit card between Aug 1st and Oct 31st. This  may be a targeted offer, but it doesn’t hurt to register for the promotion and cross your fingers. This entry was posted in United Airlines. Bookmark the permalink. ← 500 FREE Hilton HHonors Points For Watching Short Video [...]

4. Levy Flight says:

I don’t see any indication that the one pass card is eligible. That’s a shame.

5. Blaine says:

Got the 50k offer at the end of July, so had to spend $1000 anyway!

6. I tried it with both my husband’s and my account, never hurts to try and $1000 spend (x2) is easy to do with two boys in a private boys school! 10,000 United points would be fantastic! thanks for the tip, you are the first blogger I noticed that had this one!

7. Tommy says:

Darn it.. I got my card after the Aug 1st.. guess i can’t get it..

8. MJM says:

Thanks. I’ve already spent that much on this card since August 1 but can double down just in case.

9. Thank you for pointing this out! Registered both our cards for this promotion and should have no problem hitting spend on mine. On my husband’s card, we’ll have to hope that backspend counts since he’s otherwise working on other spend requirements.

10. Mileswhore says:

The terms are not very clear, so I will stick with these terms since I successfully registered. A few things that aren’t clear:

-What if you have more than one card? How is spend counted?
    -There’s no indication you need to sign up prior to spend

Any input?

11. James says:

Can you confirm this is valid for the United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card holders?

If so, then here is my take:
    1) Option 1, buy $1k United Gift Certificate which will pay 2k + 5k = 7x miles per dollar

2) Option 2, buy $1k on never expiring and easy to use Amazon gift card, so earn 1k + 5k = 6x miles per dollar

Done.

12. Mileswhore says:

My understanding is all United branded cards are considered MileagePlus cards because they all earn miles for spend and are linked to the program. Screenshot the terms and conditions on the day you sign up (you will also receive an email confirmation). I see no reason why this won’t come through, but if it doesn’t, I’ll be writing an email to United with the screenshot, etc.

@Levy, can’t hurt to register and see what happens, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to spend extra $$ on the card in that case.
    @Blaine, good timing!
    @pointsandtravel, two boys in private school that accepts credit cards…you are golden with racking up cc spending!
    @Tommy, probably not.
    @MJM, good luck!
    @New Girl in the Air, fingers crossed!
    @Mileswhore, I don’t totally understand your questions, but my best guess is that as it says it is limited to one per MileagePlus number. There is also nothing that says you have to sign-up prior to spending, so many of us have our fingers crossed that previous spending counts.
    @James, all I can confirm is exactly what is written. I can’t swear this isn’t a targeted offer, so I don’t recommend going too much out of your way to hit the spending requirement. However, if you won’t have any problem using a UA gift card or Amazon gift card then go for it. If it works out it is a great deal and if it doesn’t then you haven’t really lost anything by trying. ;)

14. hulagrrl210 says:

Any idea is this works retroactively? I already spent at least $1000 on the card last month, but just signed up for the promo today

15. purplnurpl says:

Hopefully this works on the United EQM card as I just killed the MP explorer. Long live the UA EQM card!

16. James says:

@Mileswhore (love the name): I did just that (screenshot) of confirmation page, although I haven’t received an email. I get a Registration Successful page with a code, so I think I am good to go, no doubt about that. I asked the question as “MileagePlus credit card” seemed vague and was afraid it might be MileagePlus Club Card only or the like

@mommypoints: thanks! I think amazon is the safest, easiest. It’s cash to me. The 2x miles on United can be taken anytime, so I must retract my suggestion #1. I think #2 is best. Even better yet, matching that spending or some of it to the other offers available to MileagePlus credit card holders only. Such as Netflix or Wine Club (American Cellar). They’re available to any members but sometimes you get more points as a MP credit card holder.

Anyone tried the American Cellar Wine Club by any chance? I would get 2500 for first shipment, 4000 for second shipment, at a cost of $45 (first) + something around $115 (im in nyc) for second, for 12 bottles altogether

17. A. S. says:

Not sure if this is “telling” in any way or if the UA website has always been broken in this way:

I registered for the offer. Then, I went back to get a screenshot, so I clicked on “register” again in order to show me that I’m already registered. It did so, but it says:

“Registration Date: Mon., Jan. 1, 0001″ Should be today’s date…

18. Toula says:

Fingers crossed this works on past expenditure. It was only two days ago I used this card to finance a $1200 expense so would mean I have hit my goal in one fell swoop. Was annoyed at the time because I couldn’t use my AMEX from Hilton that I am trying to hit the $20k on for Gold for 2013. Would be nice compensation.

19. MillionMiler says:

1) I think the reason United did not specify the name of the credit card, because this appears to be open to many countries where United cards are issued by various Banks (including Chase in the US), hence the disclaimer in the T&C :

“MileagePlus participation may not be permitted in some countries. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks.”

also:

“Earn up to 5,000 bonus award miles when you register and spend at least “$1,000 USD or equivalent in local currency” on your MileagePlus® Credit Card between August 1 and October 31, 2012.”

2) The above reconfirms that this promotion is open to United credit cards from many other countries apart from the US as well. For instance, I believe in Hong Kong it’s HSBC that issues the United card. Hence I believe if the promotion is permitted in your country, any flavour of the United Airlines credit card would qualify.

3) From the confirmation page once registed, I got this:

“Valid Fri., Oct. 5, 2012 – Wed., Oct. 31, 2012 (Time Remaining: 27 days)
    Posted Sun., Jul. 1, 2012″

This implies that spends made prior to your registration date (for me it is today) may not qualify. Hence I suggest everyone wanting to get the 5K bonus miles to count their spend from today.

20. Mileswhore says:

My main point is let’s say you have the explorer card and other United cards. Which spending do they count? Is it combined? Spending only on one? I realize it’s connected to your MP #, but still, the terms are vague (which will probably work out for the best).

21. Shane says:

I agree with MillionMiler… based on the “Valid” terminology, I would think only spend going forward would count.

22. Lively says:

I went to the link and successfully registered. Then I called and asked when I became a card holder (I never wrote it down). The rep said August 15, 2012. So I guess no bonus for me even though I’m registered.

23. AK says:

Registered 3 cards. Two were opened after 8/1 and already spent the $1000 for the minimum spend. The other one hasn’t seen any use. We’ll see what happens.

24. BunMama says:

I was just offered a 10k retention bonus after $2k spend in the next 30 days for my Chase United card–didn’t want to pay the $95 annual fee. So now my 10k will be 15k miles (actually 17k if you include miles earned on $2k spend) for $95 annual fee. Thanks MP, you made my week!

25. SBG says:

Thanks! Not sure how everyone missed this promo… I would’ve already qualified based on last mo. spend.

26. G says:

Thanks! I have to spend about $700 at Home Depot anyway which I was going to go through Chase Ultimate Rewards for 3x points. However, United Plus is 2x points anyway, and if that can get me a bonus 5,000 United Points on top of it ($300 will be easily spent in that time on groceries and gas if nothing else) that would be superb!

27. Jeff says:

I registered today also and I got a confirmation email that you are now registered for this promo. The weird thing is it says registration date July1,2012? Does that mean my spend last month was counted? Who knows? I guess I will do one amazon payment.

28. DaveS says:

I got a “your card is already registered” with registration date of Jan. 1, 0001. I was definitely not using United credit cards in the times of Augustus Caesar, so I think something is amiss.

29. MillionMiler says:

@Mommypoints @Levyflight – About the Chase One Pass Continential card, eventhough you may still have the physical card, but Chase and United now considers that card as a United card. When you call chase CSR, they will confirm that you have a United card not Continental Onepass card. Hence, I think it is quite likely that your old Onepass card will be considered as a United card for this promotion, if United Airlines qualifies this promotion for US card holders.

30. Carl says:

this thing must be targeted. It is not listed on their website under mileage plus offers, nor did i receive a confirmation email. I registered for another offer that was listed and received the email.

I need another $600 to reach $1,000 for the 3 month period, so will not go out of my way on this one as i have the feeling the 5,000 miles will never come. but if i was close, would certainly go for it.

31. [...] of the hat goes to Mommy Points on the find. (She also has a great miles blog, so check it out!) Share this: Uncategorized, United [...]

32. Susan says:

Wahoo – our October preschool payment will cover this (thanks, kids, for helping me and your dad get to Hawaii – without you – that much faster!).

33. Gary Steiger says:

Note that the offer is supposed to be at Home > MileagePlus > MileagePlus News & Offers on UAL’ website. But I navigated there both while being logged in and not being logged in and could not see the offer. Everyone who signs up sees a page confirming registration, but I suspect it is targeted and the miles will not be given unless you were targeted. I suggest you first see if you can navigate to the offer while being logged into your UAL account. I suggest signing up for the offer regardless of whether or not you can navigate to the offer, but that you do not make an extra effort to spend the money on the card unless you can navigate to it.

34. Jolokia says:

Gary —
    Once on the MileagePlus News and Offers page — click the credit/debit card tab. There is a register for an offer link in blue which states “if you know the offer’s promo code” which is TB4M52. Once on that registration page it further states the these promo codes come out in advertisements in the in flight magazines, newsletters, …bla…bla…. So this makes me feel a bit more reassured that this offer wasn’t targeted, but was available to the perceptive public. I could be wrong, however I definitely went for the deal.

35. Josinei says:

The page says the following for the promotion of the $1000: eligible credit cards for this promotion are only BAM – Guatemala, Bancolombia – Colombia, Banco General- Panama, Banco Popular – Dominican Republic, HSBC – Panama, HSBC – Costa Rica, ITAU – Uruguay, PacifiCard – Ecuador, Santander- Puerto Rico, Standard Bank – Argentina. Other credit cards are not eligible for this offer.

36. Lily says:

Used the link you provided above and found out the following restrictions in the T&C. It seems they just changed it!

Eligible credit cards for this promotion are only BAM – Guatemala, Bancolombia – Colombia, Banco General- Panama, Banco Popular – Dominican Republic, HSBC – Panama, HSBC – Costa Rica, ITAU – Uruguay, PacifiCard – Ecuador, Santander- Puerto Rico, Standard Bank – Argentina. Other credit cards are not eligible for this offer.

37. Kris Ziel says:

And that is what you get when you try to take advantage of a deal that wasn’t meant for you. +1 Gary for predicting that one.

38. Tyler says:

Miles just posted in my account and my wife’s United accounts. Looks like MileagePlus came through after all.

39. Elena G says:

same here! I noticed a strange increase of 5k and it was from chase :)

40. hahaha says:

“same here! I noticed a strange increase of 5k and it was from chase” +1

41. Josinei says:

Dear mommy :)

My 5000 miles has been posted on 12/01/2012. and i live here in the US heheheeh Hope everybody else get their miles too.

42. Gabriel says:

Wow, I got the 5k points too! I didn’t even do any spend! I registered for the promo, forgot about it and just noticed today that there’s a *mysterious* 5k extra pts in my United account as of 12/1. I had to google “chase united 5k” which took me back to this blog post and reminded me. Then I laughed because the only thing I spent was a $84 car rental in Sept (as well as a $132 car rental last week). HA!

43. M says:

Check your United mileage accounts! Chase has clawed back the 5,000 bonus miles that they posted in error. For reference, I had not met the spend.

12/1/2012 Reversal of incorrect bonus miles
    (5,000)

44. Jeff says:

They took my wife 5K she did not met the spend but I did in my account. They did not take any miles on my account.

45. [...] early Oct I read about a Chase United Promo from MommyPoints where if you registered and spent 1,000 by Oct 31, you could get 5,000 United miles. It was then [...]