Thanks to a reader who emailed me this morning with some info regarding a new United promotion where you can earn up to 15,000 bonus miles for making hotel point transfers into the United MileagePlus program.  At first the promotion sounded pretty interesting (especially for those who had been building hotel point balances in anticipation of the Grand Slam), but….the transfer rates are so miserable that even with up to 15,000 bonus miles, the promotion still doesn’t make sense for my family.

If you convert your hotel points into:

5,000 United miles you get 1,000 bonus miles

10,000 United miles gets you 2,5000 bonus miles

20,000 United miles gets you 5,000 bonus miles

50,000 United miles gets you 15,000 bonus miles

The trick here isn’t that you are transferring in 50,000 hotel points and getting 15,000 bonus United miles.  You have to factor in the conversion rate to get to 50,000 United miles from the hotel points which means you are spending way more hotel points than that to get the bonus.  I know lots of people have many Club Carlson points, but you would have to transfer in close to 300,000 Club Carlson points to equal 50,000 United miles to trigger the 15,000 mile bonus (for a total of 65,000 United miles).  The 8:1 Club Carlson: United transfer rate on the United website isn’t totally accurate.  The transfer rate with some other hotel programs varies from 2:1 to 10:1 depending on the program.

The hotel transfer partners are:

Marriott

• 10,000 points to 2,000 miles
  • 20,000 points to 5,000 miles
  • 30,000 points to 10,000 miles
  • 70,000 points to 25,000 miles
  • 125,000 points to 50,000 miles

Hilton (10,000 points to 1,000 United miles)

Starwood Preferred Guest (2 SPG points: 1 United mile)

Priority Club (10,000 points to 2,000 miles)

Club Carlson

• 2,000 points to 250 miles
  • 50,000 points to 8,000 miles
  • 100,000 points to 18,000 miles

Hyatt (2.5 Hyatt points: 1 United mile)

Choice Privileges (5,000 points to 1,000 United miles)

Wyndham Rewards

• 8,000 points to 3,200 miles
  • 17,500 points to 7,000 miles
  • 30,000 points to 12,000 miles

While some transfer rates are better than others, I still am not interested in losing that many hotel points just to trigger a modest United mileage bonus.  You can combine points transferred in from various partners to trigger a bonus, which will be totaled at the end of the promotion on November 30th.  If you plan to take advantage of this promotion, then be sure to register first.  Just be very careful to look at the conversion rate of your hotel points to United miles when you are deciding whether or not to participate, as it isn’t 1:1 for any program.  I’ll be sitting this one out, but if you were planning on transferring some points to United miles (as I know some were planning to do with Wyndham), then now may be a good time to do it.

Are you participating in this promo or sitting on the sidelines with me?

30 Responses to “Up to 15,000 Bonus United Miles For Hotel Point Transfers, But….”

1. Dave says:

Would be an ok bump if you are doing a Marriott Air + Hotel package. But in the past with other airlines there have been bigger bumps.

2. Ilovespam says:

Do you feel the need to post this when already 2 other of YOUR fellow bloggers mentioned it? Seriously? Really?

3. Jordan says:

I think I’ll be using this promo with some Wyndham points, though was hoping for a more lucrative bonus…
    Also, I think your evaluation of Club Carlson points is a bit off. If I’m not mistaken it’s not an exact ratio but rather depends on the number of points you transfer for how many miles you get. 100k Club Carlson = 18k UA miles, thus only 300k Club Carlson needed for the full bonus.

4. webazoid says:

its terrible deal.

10,000 Hilton points for 1,000 united?

Say you applied for BOFA HA 35k miles, transfer to Hilton for 70,000 miles.

That would give you 7,000 united miles. A no go.

5. I wouldnt want to spend PC, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, or SPG pts to earn these United Miles. There are easier ways to earn United Miles ;)

6. Grant says:

Just another United “deal” like their gift card to miles “deals” – they must think we are pretty dumb.

@Dave, indeed.
    @Ilovespam, while some people do read all/many of the blogs, that isn’t true for everyone. I have also received some emails on this promo that indicated some people were confused and thought it as a better deal than it was, so wanted to make sure and help clear this up for anyone that I could. Sorry it wasn’t helpful for you. ;)
    @Jordan, you are right. I took the 8:1 off United’s website, but looks like they aren’t totally correct. Here is the correct info: 2,000 points 250 miles
    50,000 points 8,000 miles
    100,000 points 18,000 miles
    @webazoid, that would be a very poor use for sure!
    @MileageUpdate, agree!
    @Grant, ha ha. Well, I have no doubt that some people jump on these deals…but most of those people probably aren’t reading miles and points blogs.

8. Nonsense says:

What’s the point of this blog? It sucks, why bother waste your time and others.

9. Sky says:

You clicked here to and made a comment. You just helped Mommy Points with one more click on her website. If you don’t want to read it don’t come here.

Great way to liquidate the Grand Slam hotel points we were saving up.

10. James says:

This promo would have come in handy if the Wyndham promo had worked! Still bummed about it.

11. Ryan says:

Thanks for the rundown. Probably won’t be doing anything with this one, though, with such a small bonus.

12. Michael says:

I’m one of those who is hoping I get the 54000 points from Wyndham for the 3 stays I just paid for (I was a no show). I booked them before Wyndham changed their rules so I’m hoping they will honor the points bonus. Once I get my points, I’ll transfer into United to get my bonus.

13. Jenn says:

Thank you SO much for the clarification! I was busy plotting ways to accrue 50,000 hotel points without realizing the miles conversation detail. You just saved me a lot of time! Much appreciated.

14. JetsFan says:

I will not be participating in this offer, but appreciate your easy to follow analysis and info which confirmed what I was thinking for my own situation.

15. Blaine says:

Hey @nonsense – pound sand! Nobody is forcing you (or any other trolls) to read.

16. deedeema says:

thanks for clarifying this deal-did see it first thing but didnt read closely so I greatly appreciate it and EVERYTHING you do for your loyal readers!

17. Jordan says:

@Mommypoints I wonder if they’re doing that to confuse us on purpose, or if they legitimately don’t know their own exchange rates! Glad you could clear it up :-)

18. JBG says:

To the people that can only comment negatively: you’re getting FREE advice on how to maximize your points/miles. Don’t read the blog(s) if they’re not helpful. Simple as that.

Thanks for this post!

19. Nick says:

I still say that the Grand Slam may happen after the election is over. I’m making no moves at this time with the United promo.

Glad to hear this post was helpful for some of you. Even if the promo isn’t all that great – it can be good to know that ahead of time instead of wasting a chunk of time doing the math. ;)

21. BigRedBears says:

Unless I’m missing something Wyndham -> United might be a great option.

Many of us did Wyndham 16000 promotion and let’s face it it wasn’t to accumulate Wyndham points.

If you have at least 50000 Wyndham points you effectively get 2:1 transfer to United miles. If you transfer 125000 Wyndham ponts – that’s 1.92:1 ratio.

Granted I was intending to transfer to AA to boost my dwindled stash of AA miles, but extra 5000 United miles seems interesting.

22. FEV says:

Thanks for the info! This is the FIRST blog that I read with information about this United promotion. And, sometimes it takes me reading about something in more than one place for me to make a decision on a promotion such as this.

23. KF says:

Would love to pull the trigger on the transfer from Wyndham to United BUT need to actually get Wyndham to honor their promotion first which they are NOT doing!!

24. KF says:

Clarification: need Wyndham to honor the promotion they did where you can receive 16,000 points for a stay BEFORE they changed the terms and conditions of that.

25. marathon man says:

I’m on the sidelines wiff you (my 4 year old son says wiff not with lol).

I value my hotel points for what they are. There are other ways to get UA miles I think… for now. I mean if I HAD to fly and needed 15k I would do it. But not now.

26. Chris says:

I am in for 20K miles to get the 5K bonus – mostly Wyndham (19K) with a dash of Choice(1K) – points I don’t forsee using anytime soon. Vast majority were free from topguest (before both dropped out) with some Wyndham from discover america (cheap points). Trying to get to 120K for 2 savers to Europe and this will get me there hence worth it.

27. cmoz says:

My family has had nearly 300K Carlson Gold points (minus 54K points for booking 6 nights at their Radisson Cancun property @9K)… To make room for that 300K family tranfer, I’m tempted to cancel Radisson booking and to use some SkyPesos and Avios points instead. 300K Carlson points = worth 65K UA?

Meanwhile, I can potentially get out of airfare booked via ThankYou points and have TY points reinstated… for I’m currently on the phone with Aeromexico for a flight change they initiated…. The only thing is I recently downgraded Citi ThankYou Premier card to the Preferred to avoid annual fee.. Thus the points (if reinstated) won’t be as valuable!!! ThoughtS?

28. Ian says:

For people who have Choice hotel points that are about to expire and they have no other plans for them, this is a great way to get rid of them. I will wait and see if nothing better comes up and I might transfer the Choice points I have plus some Wyndham to get the minimum for a bonus. You are right, this is an expensive deal and not cheap at all.

29. Miroslav says:

I do not have any wyndham points and planning to buy the 40k max to transfer to UA.
    With all my searching I was not able to find a cheaper way to get UA miles though…