Whether you are happy or sad about last night’s election results, here is a promotion that we can all get behind…Small Business Saturday.  Not only do we get free money to spend courtesy of American Express, but it goes to small businesses! Just like in years past, it appears you can register each of your Amex cards beginning on November 18th, and then on Small Business Saturday (11/24) you spend $25 or more at a participating small business in one transaction and you will receive a $25 statement credit from Amex.

Amex issued cards like the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex and Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card will count, but historically so have non-Amex issued cards like the Citibank American AAdvantage Amex.  Additionally, Amex authorized user cards that have unique card numbers have also counted for their own $25 statement credit.  I expect that will be the same this year, but we will know for sure on 11/18 when registration opens.

The one main difference that I can tell from last year is that it says that participating businesses are listed on the Shop Small Map.  That is good as it gives a real list of places that qualify, but the non-chain restaurants I visited last year are not on the list even though they are small business and they accept Amex (update: it is on there when I manually searched through everything in the zip code, it just didn’t come up via the search.). Don’t just count on visiting the stores you went to last year without checking the map first. I did find my daughter’s preschool on the map though, so that is very exciting!  The transactions do need to be processed in the store.

Here are the terms and conditions:

1. Limit one (1) $25 statement credit per American Express Card. To be eligible, Cardmembers must enroll an eligible American Express Card in this offer at ShopSmall.com. Prepaid and Corporate Cards are not eligible.
  2. The number of enrollments is limited. Enrollment opens at 12:00AM MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on November 18, 2012, and will continue until 11:59PM MST on November 24, 2012 unless the enrollment limit is reached sooner.
  3. To receive the $25 statement credit, the Cardmember must use his or her enrolled Card to spend $25 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, November 24, 2012. To receive the credit, the transaction must equal $25 or more (for example, if your transaction is only for $15, you will not receive a credit). Multiple transactions of less than $25 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $25. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $25 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit.
  4. Qualifying small business locations are those identified on the Shop Small® Map, available at ShopSmall.com. In addition, small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify and can be found on the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Small business locations that do not appear on the Shop Small® Map or that do not accept American Express through Square will not qualify for the $25 statement credit offer. Please note that business location information provided on the Shop Small® Map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.
  5. If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, the following transactions will not be eligible for the credit: transactions made using an electronic wallet or any other transaction made through a third party; and transactions not made directly with the merchant.
  6. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 8 weeks after American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from the merchant until all of the items from your qualifying purchase have been provided or shipped by the merchant.
  7. The Card Registration Terms and Conditions will also apply at enrollment.

Important Note: Merchants that began to accept American Express after October 15, 2012 will not appear on the map and will not be eligible for the American Express $25 Statement Credit Cardmember Offer. Small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify for the $25 statement credit offer but may not appear on this map. For information about small business locations that use Square, please visit the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Please note that business location information provided on this map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns and political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.

Set your calendars for 11/18 so that you are ready to register all of your Amex cards in order to maximize this promotion and help small businesses!  I have to do a count of all my current Amex cards to get an exact number, but I would suspect that my family will bring in close to $200 thanks to Small Business Saturday.  Thanks Max M on Milepoint for sharing the registration date!

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, thanks for your support!

31 Responses to “Mark Your Calendars – Small Business Saturday Registration Opens 11/18”

1. Robert Hanson says:

Can we use multiple cards at the same merchant and have each transaction count, or does each card need to be used at a different location?

2. Simon says:

Seems much lower participation this year compared the past 2 years (looking at North County San Diego and Irvine, CA)

3. Dave says:

This applies to all small business and not just the ones listed, correct?

4. Ron says:

Is this limited to the US or can I get the credit while in Europe over Thanksgiving?

5. […] Mommy Points blog has a lot of detail on this promotion. I am telling you about it because I believe it is a […]

6. Fred says:

I got screwed last year even though I went to eat at a restaurant that listed in Amex website as a supporter. When I went to pay, they told me the only accept mastercard or visa but NOT Amex card. I gave them a ver bad nasty reviewed in their website and eamil Amex too but I never got response or answer from any of them.

7. Frank says:

Thanks for the heads up. Any word on the AmEx gift chain? That was a nice little score last year.

@Simon, this is the first time the terms have relegated us to a list instead of the list just being a helpful tool. Not happy to hear their are fewer options for you!
    @Dave, the terms indicate they have to be on the list, but I don’t know how that will play out in reality.
    @Ron, this has historically been a US promotion and it seems to be again this year although that is not spelled out in the terms. I got some stores to pull up outside the US, but it really was looking like an error on the map.

9. Kevin says:

I like that the three closest places to me are liquor stores. Another year of $25 of free booze courtesy of Amex

10. Sam says:

Wow! There are a lot of business on the list near me that I would not have thought of as small businesses. Thanks for sharing this. It’s a big help. I’m looking forward to doing a free shopping spree on the 24th!

11. WAHOO! You know how I love Small Business Saturday!

12. Jim says:

I have a small business and when I saw the terms that only a business that is on the list will be able to participate I started looking in how to sign up.So I went to the FAQ section and they say all small business with qualify. No sign up.So that would suggest any small business will work?
    How can I participate in Small Business Saturday? Do I need to “sign up”?
    No, you don’t have to “sign up” to be a part of Small Business Saturday. The day is for all to celebrate you and the contribution your business makes to the community and the economy. Thus, whether you are a brick-and-mortar retail store, restaurant or online-only business, just by being a small business owner, you’re already a part of it. As such, participation is as simple as being open for business this November 24th. I

@Jim, yeah I saw that as well. I also saw that a business can request to opt-out of the promo, so I would be a little nervous going to a retailer not on the list, though it wouldn’t shock me if it did work some of the time. Their terms really do read as if you are bound to the list.

13. Jim says:

This is really strange, the T&C are in direct conflict and it makes a huge difference. In my area there’s not much on the list, however they are telling a business you don’t need to do anything to be on the list.Why would a business opt-out? They say in a least 3 places you must pick from the list, then they tell a business you don’t have to do anything to be on the list.Maybe some readers will have some input.

14. Jim says:

First it says”To receive the $25 statement credit, the Cardmember must use his or her enrolled Card to spend $25 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday,”
    note ” in store”
    Then says”Thus, whether you are a brick-and-mortar retail store, restaurant or online-only business, just by being a small business owner, you’re already a part of it. As such, participation is as simple as being open for business this November 24th.
    note “online- only”
    I’m not trying to beat this horse to death, but I have seem so many of these thing go bad.

15. Lee says:

Do purchases of gift cards/certs count?

16. Jacob says:

Is anyone else getting a “Coming Soon” message on the “Where to Shop” tab on the small business site? Which list of participating stores is everyone talking about? Link please.

Thanks MommyPoints for posting this!

17. Jim says:

Jacob,yes hopefully it’s being updated.

18. I have to agree its just easier to use most if not all your cards at one location.

19. Amy says:

Does anyone know if 2 cards under the same account (I’m an authorized user on my husband’s account) will earn $50 if we both spend $25+ each on our respective cards?
    Thanks!

20. Linda says:

@Amy: If the account number is the same on the two cards, you will only get $25 credit. if the numbers are different, you will get $50.

21. Carol says:

Starbucks? The first business that came up is my local Starbucks. I sure don’t think of it as a small business any more than I would the local McDonalds.

22. Carol says:

That is really an bizarre list of small businesses besides being very difficult to search. Starbucks has now vanished, but foodtrucks are coming up first. I’ve never seen a foodtruck in the area. Then there are some very obscure small shops, but none of the locally owned restaurants nor other businesses I know to be locally owned. I can’t believe that’s genuinely the list, but should it be, I won’t have any interest.

23. Harry says:

Where are you all seeing the map? the shopsmall.com map is _still_ showing as “coming soon” for me.

different browsers, cleared cache, etc…

24. Tim says:

I also wonder where people are seeing this map. When I look, it just says coming soon.

25. patrick says:

Do the purchases have to be made in person at the store or will making them through their WEB site count? (or over the phone)?

And is there a way for AMEX to tell how the purchase was made to begin with?

AMEX says this on their T&C’s…

26. Tami says:

I just called AMEX and they said we could use only one card per account even though we have two cards with different numbers on the account.
    I registered both cards, but I wouldn’t be getting the second $25 credit if I used both!