Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
This is a reminder that registration for American Express Small Business Saturday opens tonight at 12:00AM Mountain Time. You are probably not going to find me awake at 1AM Central waiting to register, but if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night, I will certainly hop online and get all of my Amex cards registered. At the very least, be sure to have all of your Amex cards laid out and ready to register when you get up on Sunday morning. I haven’t seen an exact number of registrations that will be allowed, but it is a limited number, so I don’t want to miss out!
For those not familiar, Small Business Saturday is the day after Black Friday. It was designed to encourage purchases at small businesses in the United States, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands.. To do so, Amex offers $25 statement credits when a registered Amex card is used to make a purchase of at least $25 at a small business on Saturday November 24th. What makes this even more fantastic is that many of us in the miles and points community have many Amex cards, so that means we can get the $25 statement credit multiple times. Amex prepaid and corporate cards are not eligible, but personal cards, small business cards, and authorized user cards that have unique card numbers are all eligible (or at least have been in the past).
I will be registering my Amex SPG personal card (+ authorized user), Amex SPG business card (+ authorized user), Amex Business Gold Rewards card, and Citibank AAdvantage Amex. Those cards will net me $150 in free goodies! I plan to visit a local small restaurant and purchase one $25 gift card on each of my Amex cards. I will then get a $25 statement credit for each purchase that will make the gift cards free! What makes this even sweeter is that this restaurant participates in the dining rewards program, so I will be earning 5 United miles per dollar for the purchases. That brings my score to $150 dollars in free gift certificates plus 750 United miles. On top of that, last year the restaurant I went to was also giving a bonus $5 gift card for each $25 purchase. I’m not sure if they are running that promotion again this year or not, but I know many retailers offer extra incentives to get folks to spend money this time a year, so it wouldn’t surprise me!
Here are the official terms (bolding is mine):
- Limit one (1) $25 statement credit per American Express Card. To be eligible, Cardmembers must enroll an eligible American Express Card in this offer at ShopSmall.com. Prepaid and Corporate Cards are not eligible.
- The number of enrollments is limited. Enrollment opens at 12:00AM MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on November 18, 2012, and will continue until 11:59PM MST on November 24, 2012 unless the enrollment limit is reached sooner.
- To receive the $25 statement credit, the Cardmember must use his or her enrolled Card to spend $25 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, November 24, 2012. To receive the credit, the transaction must equal $25 or more (for example, if your transaction is only for $15, you will not receive a credit). Multiple transactions of less than $25 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $25. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $25 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit.
- Qualifying small business locations are those identified on the Shop Small® Map, available at ShopSmall.com. In addition, small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify and can be found on the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Small business locations that do not appear on the Shop Small® Map or that do not accept American Express through Square will not qualify for the $25 statement credit offer. Please note that business location information provided on the Shop Small® Map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.
5. If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, the following transactions will not be eligible for the credit: transactions made using an electronic wallet or any other transaction made through a third party; and transactions not made directly with the merchant. American Express $25 Statement Credit Cardmember Offer Terms – Small Business Saturday 2012
6. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 8 weeks after American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from the merchant until all of the items from your qualifying purchase have been provided or shipped by the merchant.
7. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled.
8. The Card Registration Terms and Conditions will also apply at enrollment.
So your steps are: find all of your active Amex cards, register them beginning at 12AM MST tonight, use the map at shopsmall.com to decide where to shop, and then spend at least $25 on each card on Saturday 11/24. Last year the statement credits posted much faster than 6-8 weeks.
Let me know if you have any questions or tips to share with others regarding this great Amex promotion!