Here are a couple updates in the miles and points world that I haven’t had a chance to write full posts on….
Stay Two Get One Holiday Inn Resort Promo:
This morning I received an email from Priority Club announcing a new promo where you earn a free night certificate to use for a free night at any Holiday Inn Resort in North America (except the Waikiki Beachcomber that seems to have its own restrictions) some time in the next year just by staying two consecutive nights at a Holiday Inn Resort between November 23rd through February 28th. You do have to register for this promotion, and it is only available to US residents. On first glance this seems to be a pretty good promo for those in the US, but when you get to the terms and conditions then it gets a bit more confusing and much less lucrative as well.
You have to stay two nights when you redeem the free night and they also have a restriction on only one free night per household per trip. That would mean (in theory) that spouses couldn’t both redeem an earned free night on the same trip. The award travel has to be booked through a specific source, must be booked 45 days in advance, and etc etc. Basically, they grabbed my attention at the beginning and then totally lost my interest in the details.
Here are the actual terms and conditions:
- Offer is open to legal residents of the 50 U.S., including DC.
- You must register your Priority Club® Rewards Number in advance of your two night stay at www.holidayinnresorts.com/freenight and your stay must be completed between November 23, 2012 and February 28, 2013 to be eligible for free night Award. If you are not already a Priority Club Rewards member you may join for free at www.priorityclub.com. A stay is defined as two consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. A stay is qualified when paying qualifying rates, which include most business and leisure rates. Qualifying Room Rates do not include the following reduced room rates: net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate. Also excluded are opaque rates and “name your own price” rates (where hotel name, location and/or rate not visible until after booking is submitted).
- You must claim your Winter Break Promotion Award (“Award”) online within 30 days of receipt of the Award email at www.activateaward.com before using it (“Award Registration”). Only the person who initially received the Award can claim it and redeem it and must be the traveler. A toll free number to make Award travel reservations will be provided upon Award Registration. Award travel reservations must be made through this number.
- Award travel must be completed within one (1) year of Award Registration.
- Questions regarding the promotion may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Award may be redeemed for a single free hotel night at any Holiday Inn Resort location in North America, excluding the Waikiki Beachcomber, up to a maximum value of $400. For a list of eligible resorts visit: www.HolidayInnResorts.com. If you stay at the Waikiki Beachcomer property for two (2) consecutive nights, you will be eligible for two (2) free nights, up to a maximum value of $600, for redemption for another stay at the Waikiki Beachcomer property, using the same process as described herein.
- Stays to utilize the Award must be a minimum of two consecutive nights, and the Award’s value will be used to cover the cost of the night(s) with the lowest cost. The Award’s value will be applied to a standard room. If you wish to stay in a higher category room you may apply the Award’s value to that room’s cost by paying the difference in rate.
- Awards redeemed for stays in Hawaii require the purchase of airfare to Hawaii. Airfare and the hotel nights must be booked at the same time.
- Room inventory is subject to the availability of IHG’s Advance Purchase Rate. Blackout dates may apply.
- Full payment of any amount beyond the value covered by the Award must be made at the time of booking using a major credit card.
- All Award travel must be booked through ATG (CST# 2001330-10 and Florida Seller of Travel Registration #35395, and Nevada Seller of Travel Registration No. 240000054), using the toll-free phone number provided upon Award Registration.
- Travel must be booked at least 45 days in advance of departure.
- The office that will book your travel is open from 8:30AM to 5:00PM (Pacific Time) Monday through Friday, and closed on holidays. Please consider the hours of operation when booking your travel. You may need to call more than 45 days in advance of departure to reach an agent during business hours.
- This offer is subject to the availability of hotel and airline inventory at the time of reservation, so the farther in advance you can make your travel plans the easier it will be to accommodate your specific preferences.
- Travelers are subject to all rules and regulations of the issuing airline and/or hotel property, including but not limited to refunds, exchanges, cancellations or changes of itinerary. The names of the travelers cannot be changed. Changes or cancellations to the original booking may be subject to additional fees charged by the airline or hotel. Changes and/or cancellations to the original booking must be made through ATG. If changes are made directly with the hotel or airline, the Award will be voided and the discount may be charged back to the purchaser’s credit card.
- Only one Award can be redeemed per trip. This Award cannot be combined with any other promotional program.
- ATG has no control over schedule changes, cancelled or oversold flights. Remedies for these situations are at the discretion of the validating carrier and subject to federal regulations.
- ATG has final authority on all ticketing, pricing, and availability decisions.
- Only one award may be redeemed per trip per household. Multiple awards may not be used for guests in the same party.
- Terms and conditions are subject to change. For complete, up-to-date information, please go to www.holidayinnresorts.com/freenight
American Express Transfer Bonus:
According to those “in the know”, beginning today through December 29th there will be a 35% transfer bonus from the American Express Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic. This would not even be a blip on my radar except for the fact that there is a very favorable transfer ratio from Virgin Atlantic to the Hilton HHonors program. I get lots of emails about how to best make use of a large Membership Rewards balance, and transferring to the HHonors program via Virgin Atlantic is usually one of the options I suggest. I personally prefer to use most of my MR points in the British Airways Avios program (especially during a BA transfer bonus time) on domestic American Airlines flights, but if you have a Hilton redemption in mind this can be a good transfer to consider.
The normal transfer rate to HHonors (when going via Virgin Atlantic) is 1:2, but with this bonus you will be getting 2.7 HHonors points for every 1 Membership Reward point. HHonors points are not near as valuable as some other types of points for most redemptions, but this can still be a good way to boost your HHonors balance if you are looking to empty out your Membership Rewards account.