I don’t do many mileage runs – I guess technically I don’t (or at least haven’t) done any pure mileage runs as I take the destination into consideration, and would rather pay a little more to see something interesting. If I am going to be traveling, I want to at least do a little along the way. That meant that when decent fares to Maui popped up a while back I grabbed one. It was roughly the number of miles I needed to hit United Platinum status this year, and who could argue with getting to spend a night in Maui.

Here is what a day in the life of a mileage run looked for me.

Great United pilots that encouraged us to listen in on Channel 9.  Love, love, love this.

20121207-072451.jpg

A festive crew that encouraged folks to get into the Hawaii spirit and have a mai tai!

20121207-072502.jpg

This was actually not bad.

20121207-072510.jpg

The movie about bike messengers on the other hand…..

20121207-072518.jpg

Hertz apologized they had no mid-sized cars and asked if a convertible would do.  Um, I think so.

20121207-072529.jpg

It was about 1AM my time when this photo was taken and I had been traveling all day, but if someone gives you a lei you have to put it on – right?!

20121207-072549.jpg

It was tempting to crawl right into bed and listen to the waves.

20121207-072603.jpg

But a midnight snack of a “Honolulu Roll” was in order.

20121207-072555.jpg

After a few great hours of sleep I was wide awake in time to see sunrise.

And drink guava juice in the Regency Club.

20121207-072631.jpg

Time to enjoy my few hours in paradise before hopping on a plane and flying the 9-10 hours back home.  This sort of sort-of mileage run is ridiculous, but a taste of paradise gets all that much more excited to bring my family back here for real.  Time to earn enough points for a “real vacation”!

17 Responses to “Shots From a “Sort of” Mileage Run”

1. gregorygrady says:

That looks like an “Ocean Suite”. How did you manage to score that? I can’t imagine you used a Confirmed Suite Upgrade for a one-night mileage run trip.

If you are gonna mileage run though, can’t pick a much better place to do it than to Hawaii. I can’t understand some of the people who do it and then turn around on the same plane. At least stay a night when you are at one of the most beautiful places on earth!!!!

2. Bill says:

@gregory: I was one of those 2-hour turnarounds at HNL. It just had the lowest cost per mile when I needed to crank out miles for Executive Platinum in a hurry. Fun story though.

3. Jon P says:

Did you pay to be in F or was that an upgrade? Heard they are very hard to get on the HNL flights lol

4. HK says:

Oh, my! This does sound a bit ridiculous, as you said it yourself :)Hopefully next time you’ll stay in Wailea side, and not in Kaanapali. It hardly ever rains here, so your chance to get a perfect holiday weather is much more likely.
    Enjoyed your pics,but your Mai Tai looks very watered down, lol!

5. Cogswell says:

Wow, what a whirlwind trip! What’s the total out of pocket cost for something like that vs miles earned?

6. I often think people miss the joy of this sort of thing. When you ask people what they did this weekend, most say something like Yard Work, read. You say, I went to Maui. There is a bit of magic in that.

Greogorygrady, it is the ocean suite that I confirmed with a diamond upgrade. I had one left (my husband and I are both Diamond, so we get 8 a year). It was a better use than letting it go to waste! I couldn’t imagine turning right back around and going home with paradise oh so close.
    Bill, makes sense, but would kill me!
    Jon, I have actually heard the opposite. However, this was a regional upgrade from a friend who had it expiring.
    HK, the mai tai tasted uber strong! If it was watered down, I sure couldn’t tell. Weather was beautiful here today. Can’t complain.
    Cosgwell, all depends on the fare you get. Most folks do it for the elite qualifying miles more than the redeemable miles, but there were some $300 – $450 Hawaii flights this year (even from East Coast) that were quite the bargain.
    Brian, indeed. It is a little embarassing (didn’t even tell my parents til this week), but it is certainly magical. The world is there waiting.
    CU, ;)

8. KateFromCA says:

I second Wailea for a Maui vacation as the best weather and beaches are in South Maui. If you must pay for accommodations and are short on cash, Kihei (next to Wailea) is very affordable with a lot of very inexpensive condos, tho it definitely does NOT have the resort feel like Wailea or Ka’anapali.

9. AlohaDaveKennedy says:

A Anderson Cooper actually went blind

10. AlohaDaveKennedy says:

System glitch.

Was saying that a Maui mileage run is way too dangerous to do. Anderson Cooper recently went blind from getting sunburn on his eyeballs from exposure to too much sun, water and sand. You would be better off outsourcing Maui mileage runs to us better prepared professionals!

11. Thanh P. says:

man mommypoints is hawt

12. hulagrrl210 says:

Maui, nice choice. Just got back from there yesterday :)

13. Papa Smurf says:

I just got to Maui :) Why is the Mai tai in a plastic cup? Is that pre-departure?

14. Papa Smurf says:

More important, did you jump from the rocks?

15. Nick says:

Just don’t get expectations too high for Plat upgrades, Uncle Jeff is looking to sell all the upgrades he can.
    But that said if you are traveling on Saturdays etc you are probably good. No MR for 1K?