I love New York City and I love Hyatts, so I have naturally been watching pretty closely for news about the several Hyatts that are currently under construction in Manhattan.  One of those is the Hyatt Union Square that is currently taking reservations for stays beginning March 1, 2013.  It is located in Union Square at 4th Avenue and East 13th Street.  It is going to have 178 rooms/suites, so that puts it just a few rooms smaller than the Andaz Fifth Avenue.

A brief check of rates showed the daily rate starting between $300 – $400 for most days I checked, but of course the information most points junkies are really interested in is how many points it will cost per night.  In this case the answer is it will be a Category 5 hotel that will cost 18,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points per night.  That is 4,000 fewer points per night than three Manhattan Hyatts (Grand Hyatt, Andaz Fifth Avenue, and Andaz Wall Street), and 3,000 more points per night than Hyatt 48 Lex.

I think that 18,000 Gold Passport points per night is very fair amount for a full service Hyatt in Manhattan, but I really wish it would have opened as a Category 4 like the Hyatt 48 Lex did.  A Category 4 would have not only cost fewer points, but it would have allowed Hyatt credit card holders to use their annual free night at this hotel.  By the way, if you have the ability to use points/annual free night at 48 Lex I would do it as it officially seems like a “too good to last” deal!  Along those lines, the Hyatt Place Midtown that opens in early 2013 will be a Category 4 (according to an award search on their site), so at least that is good news for Hyatt cardholders looking for a spot to use their annual free night (more on that family friendly hotel to come in another post).

NYC is one of the best US cities to use points as rates can often be so high, so more Hyatt hotels that come in at a reasonable number of points is exciting.  Can’t wait to try out these new properties in 2013.

Thanks to AJLondon for the head’s up on Flyertalk.

15 Responses to “The New Hyatt Union Square New York is a Category…….”

1. Maury says:

I was unable to book 2 adults and 2 children at the Lex 48. Do you know if children are allowed?

2. [...] Mommy Points notes two new Hyatts coming to Manhattan, and the value for redeeming points at both.  And, while she’s unhappy to see a new Hyatt pop up as a category 5, I see good value here.  A brand new property, and most likely done up well as Hyatt 48 Lex and Andaz 5th are.  Sounds good to me.  And, they’re also adding a Hyatt Place as a category 4 to go along with 48Lex at the same level.  Starwood has exactly ZERO properties at the cat 4 level and a few category 5s. Share this:LinkedInFacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle +1Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

3. GuWonder says:

It is probably not a matter of children but of the determined occupancy level of the room based on assigned bedding and/or rollaway bed possibility, if any, without becoming a safety/liability issue. A room with a max occupancy of two people could be for two children or one adult and one child.

4. Stvr says:

OMG look at the photo on the Hyatt Place Midtown website… are in New York City or Des Moines, Iowa?

5. @Maury: occ 4 rooms at the 48 lex do exist: Room 303 is one I’ve stayed in with my kids, but they are very rare…maybe 6 in the entire hotel.

6. ih says:

I just reasd that Gary Barnett said delivery will hopefully start September 2013 for 0ne57.

When is the Park Hyatt in that building going to be ready?

Maury, I haven’t stayed there with more than two but I have never gotten the impression this hotel would be the child counting police. However, I do believe there are a handful of rooms with larger occupancy levels as others indicated. Grand Hyatt NY has the most 4 person rooms of the Hyatts in NYC.
    GuWonder, correct. ;)
    Stvr, ha ha. You are right!
    The Deal Mommy, thanks for the room number!
    ih, I had heard second half of 2013, but hadn’t heard an update since the damaged crane and Sandy so don’t know it that impacted the time frame (these things seem to always be ready later than expected it seems).

8. Robert Hanson says:

Wow, just looked at the Hyatt Place website, put in a date in mid-May, and the weekday rate was over $400, non-refundable, non-changeable. And $469 refundable. The latter being some $20 more than the Andaz 5th for the same dates. I won’t be staying there anytime soon.

9. Robert Hanson says:

Oh, I wish I could afford NYC. Even on points, the NYC Hilton on a 4 night AXON rate is 150K, whereas the Paris La Defense Hilton is 125K. Better yet, 5 nights at a Manhattan Marriott Courtyard runs 140K, vs 80K in Berlin, and a mere 60K at the Vienna Courtyard. And the carriage ride in Bruges, Belgium is twice as long and half the price, since the tip is included.

We considered a stopover in NYC next summer on the way to Europe, but opted out based on the prices. Odd that we can afford Paris, Berlin, and Vienna more easily than NYC. But with free FC on AA, it’s true.

So thanks for the virtual trip to NYC, as your post is as close as I’m likely to get in the near future. Great photos, and no 90 minute lines. :D

10. Rebecca D. says:

I have two free Hyatt nights from the Chase card that are expiring in April. Do you know if I can use them both in one night at the same hotel to book adjoining or two rooms?

11. The rooms at that Hyatt are so small that all but 4-6 cant fit more than 2 people or 1 bed

12. noltian says:

So. Did you book two rooms? Another for your folks?

13. stph37 says:

NYC can be very affordable go some searches,my family loves to go there, many times on the cheap…much value can be had if you know where to go