I know it it is hard (or potentially even stomach turning) to think about the 2013 Holiday season on January 2nd when we are just now finishing up the holidays, but the reality is that now can be a good time to lock in some of your 2013 Thanksgiving travel plans.  On many airlines, the schedule is now open past the week of Thanksgiving, so now can be a great time to lock in some award seats if you want to fly on miles, and it is also a good time to start checking out fares.

While tickets to some destinations tend to go on sale later in the year during Thanksgiving time frame (such as the business class fare sales to Europe), many other domestic destinations don’t tend to be discounted around Turkey Day since is such a peak travel time.  So, if you see fares you think are good now, it can be smart to go ahead and pull the trigger.  The same is true for award seats – if they are there now for the dates and routes that you want, then you may want to go ahead and lock them in.  This is even more true when you are booking for multiple members of a family and need several tickets.

I know several folks who were burned paying more than they wanted to for holiday travel this year since they waited hoping the prices would get lower (and they didn’t), so don’t let that be you for 2013.  You may now return to your holiday-detox.  ;)

12 Responses to “Consider Booking Thanksgiving 2013 Travel Now”

1. Acker says:

I’m not sure if JetBlue has their November schedule out yet but if they do it’s a great time, as you say, to book travel for late in the year. If the fare goes down JetBlue will issue a credit for a future flight (credit must be used within 365 days). When I book a flight far out I set up a Kayak or airfarewatchdog alert. If my particular flight drops in price, I request a credit.

2. Goflerwc says:

I’m hoping to book USAir europe saver awards next Jan/Feb. Hoping you would be kind enough to give us a heads up when it is released, as you have in previous years :)

3. Ryan E says:

I was actually thinking the same thing and starting to look at November availability! Anything to avoid spending Turkey Day with our relatives…

4. Aroundtheworld says:

This is a great tip! I was thinking about booking summer, thanksgiving, and Christmas travel plans in the near future using award miles. One thing that would be really helpful is if you could put together a summary of the charges different airlines charge (based on non-elite and varying levels of elite status) to either change or redeposit miles. Thanks as always!

5. Elena Garcia says:

Im booked on a flight in Sept….almost there :)

6. Vicki says:

What is the best way to find reward flights for avios, US Air or American?

I have AA miles can they be combined or transfered to Avios or vice versa?

Your great, thanks for the tweets

7. Adam says:

Perfect time to book on miles, but it will be a huge mistake to pay airfare. It is so far away there is no competition or demand placing “downward pressure” on the prices. Because of slow sales, you are more likely to pay a premium now because airlines have nothing to lose by charging more. Holiday travel is obviously more expensive, so its best to monitor whats reasonable and give it serious consideration around 4 months away.

8. Philipp says:

I have most of my personal travels booked for 2013, somerevenue and some award ones, all departing from NYC.

Brazil on Feb – one way on TAM and way back on AA F. Got super cheap flihts to Turkey on TK for Ma. Used some avios on Cathay for Vancouver in July. Finally booked 2 days ago the final leg for our Nov/2013 trip to Thailand on Turkish/Asiana using Mileageplus!

9. Jose Augustin says:

Very nice idea. Instead of the mad rush right before thanksgiving, I like the thought of booking the trip in advance. I am definitely getting this done.

Is there a service which tells me the airfare from an airport for a date range? For example, I want to find the best fares available from FLL for the thanksgiving weekend. How do I go about searching for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Acker, sounds like a good plan. You can do the same on Alaska and Southwest.
    GolferWC, will try my best.
    Ryan, ha ha.
    Aroundtheworld, sounds like a plan.
    Elena, always fun to have flights to look forward to!
    Vicki, for those airlines simply searching on their websites for award availability should do the trick. Avios and American miles can’t be transferred or combined, but you can use Avios to fly on American Airlines. You book via the British Airways website and there needs to be Saaver availability on the American website. Feel free to email me with more questions on that.
    Adam, that can be very true, but I stand by if you see a fare that you think is good now it isn’t a bad idea to go ahead and lock it in – especially for holiday travel. Not all routes are good deals right now though.
    Phillpp, sounds great!

11. [...] Mommy Points beat me to the idea of booking now for Thanksgiving 2013 travel. This entry was posted in AAdvantage, Award Booking, Delta, Eleven Months Out, United, US Airways. Bookmark the permalink. ← Will Citi Have the Next Hot Transferable Points? [...]