Since hotel devaluations have been an unfortunate hot and consistent topic over the last week or so, I wanted to share a tiny piece of good news. One of the most out-of-this-world devaluations was what Wyndham Rewards did to some of their NYC properties. In fact one of the properties my parents just stayed at during our recent family trip to NYC, (review to be posted on Sunday) The Wingate by Wyndham, went up an astronomical amount without any notice or grace period. It shot up from 16,000 points per night to 45,000 points per night.

20130118-184242.jpg

I posted about the devaluation here and tweeted @WyndhamRewards my displeasure. There is also a Flyertalk thread where some Wyndham Rewards members have expressed their frustration about this change. Finally today a Wyndham rep replied on Flyertalk to some of the (understandably) angry customers:

Hi, we appreciate your feedback. There were changes made to the Free Night Tier level for locations in NYC. We wanted to let you know that we have adjusted the point level for the Wingate by Wyndham Midtown on 35th St in NYC from 45,000 points to 35,000 points. The other locations’ point levels will remain as is. We take your feedback seriously and will do a better job at communicating changes in the future. In the meantime, if you could send me a private message with your member # and details about the free night you were trying to book, I can take a look at your account for you.

So the tiny pieces of good news are three-fold:

1. They brought the Wingate redemption level down 10,000 points from 45,000 to 35,000. Still a crazy increase, but at least they dropped it a little.

2. They will do a better job at communicating changes in the future. Hopefully this means before the changes take place rather than retroactively.

3. They will work with individual members who are trying to book award nights…now if this means they will work 1:1 to help folks book at the old rates then thumbs up. I’m not sure what else they would be helping with? I sent a message asking for help booking at the old rate for later this year and haven’t heard back yet.  Update: I have now heard back and do think they will help one one one if you ask quickly and nicely.

So, this doesn’t change the fact that their two NYC properties that were desirable and only 16,000 points per night have been dramatically devalued without advance notice, but at least this makes it a teeny tiny bit better. Kind of.

8 Responses to “Wyndam Rewards Backs Off Recent NYC Devaluation…..A Little”

1. Elaine says:

Hi and thanks for the post. Hope your little one is feeling better! I was planning to get a Wyndham credit card which comes with 30,000 points after the first stay. (“Up to 5 free nights” – no more!) The $69 fee is waived the first year and you get 6,000 points on your anniversary. It’s a Barclays card and I wanted it just fr the free nights. While no longer as valuable, 30,000 points is still not too shabby, at least for a beginner. Any reason to change my plan? I expect to apply for a few cards next month, since I got my first few in late November. Thanks! And happy weekend.

Elaine, it depends on your travel goals. In general that is not one of the more valuable cards, but if your specific plans are to a Wyndham hotel that is still available at a low rate then it may be okay. It all depends on your travel goals. Feel free to email me if you want to brainstorm more and thanks for the well wishes for my kiddo. ;)

2. DaninSTL says:

It’s like shopping at Kohls. It’s worth 16 but they raise it to 45 only to mark it down to 35. Still 150% increase.

3. Elaine says:

Thanks!

4. dealswelike says:

I’m glad Wyndham sorta has some decent customer service on this. I must admit, Wyndham hotels from my experience has the worst customer service. I found this out first hand with their two 16,000 point promotions last year.

5. Tricia says:

Bummer….I stayed at the hotel in your pic using points last summer and it was very nice and convienient….cannot believe it is going up that much. Boooo.

Dan, ha ha. Like the analogy. ;)
    Elaine, you are welcome!
    Deals, yeah I’m glad they are doing some to mitigate a little, but they haven’t had a shining year of customer service.
    Tricia, it is a bummer!

7. Kyle K says:

Do we know if they changed the rates for any hotels outside of NYC. When I heard about this I freaked out because I’m just waiting for 500 points to post so I can book the HoJo resort at Disneyland. Those rates didn’t change and they are only 10k a night for a $200 room, so I wonder if there are more changes coming or if the change was limited to NYC.