Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Don’t tell my husband, but from time to time I make mistakes. I know, shocking! Yesterday we had to make a quick game-time decision about whether to proceed with our ski trip as planned, or pull the emergency eject cord due to my daughter being under the weather. She started to get sick the day before the trip, but it seemed to just be a cold. Not ideal, but pretty common this time of year. I kept her home from pre-school and did everything I could to try and influence the cold to be a little cold instead of a BIG COLD. She definitely wasn’t 100%, but I didn’t think the cold was bad enough to cancel a trip and lose out on a chunk of non-refundable stuff (not to mention a bunch of family fun). Lord, barely a week goes by in our house where someone doesn’t have the sniffles!
So, since she wasn’t really acting sick and had no fever present, we decided to adjust expectations for our trip accordingly and forge ahead. We knew the chances of her going to ski school were now pretty low, and we would likely just be doing the tag team relay if either of us was going to go ski, but that was okay. Such is the life of parents. We would be in the mountains together, and hopefully she would feel good enough to have some fun in the snow. And for the first day she did.
And then we spent most of the first night up with her as she got sicker. I won’t get into the details, but let’s just say coughs weren’t just bringing up air. We got just enough sleep to send my husband to the slopes in the morning while I stayed at the hotel with C. I got the brilliant idea of creating a steam room in the bathroom to help her breathe better. We played iPad on a pile of towels and breathed in steam – free spa treatments for everyone!
….and then the steam set off the very loud hotel fire alarms. Oh boy.
Naturally this really upset the already sick and temperamental three year old, so we got out of the room as quickly as possible after talking to the hotel folks to let them know what happened.
While we were downstairs escaping the loud alarms, she said she wanted a “big breakfast”, so she and I went fully decked out in jammies, snow boots, and jackets to the Sunday Breakfast Brunch inside the hotel. We made our plates, got comfy in the booth, were enjoying the mountain view, and life was relatively good.
And then she coughed so hard she threw up all over the table and horrified the table next to us. Yep, that was us. They gave me a lot of coffee to go – quickly.
So, to recap, we went from a moderate cold to a fire alarm evacuation and a contaminated brunch in no time at all. Her illness got worse from there. It became an all systems failure, and the prospect of even leaving the hotel room on the trip became pretty remote. Heck, just giving up and flying home wasn’t even a realistic option for her at this point. She will be fine, but this virus is going to have to just run its course. So, apparently I made the wrong decision in proceeding ahead with the trip. With a sick kid on the day of departure you are either going all-in or folding. We pushed our luck, and it wasn’t the right call this time.
And then another chance to make a big call presented itself. Grandma called and offered to put on her cape and fly to spend the last couple days or our trip with C so that we could get out and do a few things together. I did what any self respecting miles junkie would do – immediately burned 25K United miles on a last minute round trip ticket for her. Well, truthfully I did think about the generous request for a bit as I didn’t want her to come if it was just going to be throwing good miles/money after bad. However, we all came up with a plan on how to meet everyone’s needs given C’s situation, and then I booked her ticket. And she scored a free upgrade – more on that later.
None of us wanted her to be uncomfortable while helping us, so we pleaded with our current SPG hotel to bump us from a one-bedroom to a two-bedroom. It took an extra co-pay, but we now have plenty of space for Super Grandma to help us salvage the trip, and it was cheaper than booking another room for her.
Family travel has so many “exciting” elements to it – and associated really hard calls. Sometimes you get them right. Sometimes you don’t. Sometimes you have a Super Grandma to hopefully bail you out. Thank goodness for miles because a $1,000 last minute ticket wouldn’t have been a realistic possibility. Fingers crossed that our sick snow bunny gets better soon so she can enjoy the mountains with us.