I’m still in the middle of a trip to Europe that was made possible in large part due to miles and points, and wanted to share a little bit from it. My husband has family from Ireland and has wanted to visit “his homeland” his whole life. His parents are in their mid to late 60′s and just made their first trip to Ireland about a year ago. He was able to do it in his 30′s thanks to miles.

Don’t get me wrong, I like fancy airplane seats and nice hotel rooms as much as the next guy, but the real point of miles is to see and experience the world. Connecting with your ancestors by traveling to a far away place is the point.

20130214-105919.jpg

20130214-105934.jpg

20130214-105939.jpg

20130214-105949.jpg

20130214-110001.jpg

20130214-110006.jpg

20130214-110019.jpg

Ireland may not seen like a “far away” place to some, but it is a world away for most.  Miles can shrink the world and make dreams a reality, and I am thankful for their presence in our life…and yours.

16 Responses to “What’s the Point: Seeing the World”

1. Jess says:

Does he have an Irish born grandparent? He should look into getting Irish citizenship if he does!

2. Siobhan says:

Being from Ireland and living in the U S I’m so glad you got to experience out beautiful country.
    Thanks to you and your fellow bloggers I have been thoroughly enjoying my trips home on pints and miles, thanks for all you say and do
    Regards
    Siobhan

3. glu800 says:

Absolutely. Often times we get too wrapped up in the small stuff. I’m so thankful I’ve gotten to see far corners of the world that I would’ve never had the opportunity to without the benefit of miles and points.

4. Tracy T. says:

Well said.

5. Maury says:

Congratulations MP for making your dream a reality. I have also made possible many trips through points and miles.

6. Richard says:

more sheep in your pics than people. that’s about right… :-)

7. MCP says:

Nice!
    I agree no one needs to always be in first class. Collecting miles for me is about being able to see the world with my wonderful husband too. I am more interested in stretching my points to fly to more places than l care about flying first class. I think some folks dare not fly coach so they dont have to feel like the rest. Their ‘Status’ defines them. But this is a great hobby and normal people can do it too.

8. Another ” what’s the point” that you’ve often mentioned is getting together with family, and miles have been such a godsend for us in being able to see our farflung grandkids alot. I’m a United 1K, so usually plan to purchase my tickets, and use miles for the rest of the family. But when a ticket to Austin from IAD is over $1500 (!!!! – we could both go to Europe for that!) and a mileage tix is 25K miles, there’s no question which I use to see my just-born fourth grandchild for the first time!

Ireland is absolutely beautiful – even in February! We have been very lucky with little to no crowds at most of the places we visited. Totally agree that connecting with family is another big “point” of miles and points!

I hope my miles enable me to have a nice seat toward the front of the airplane on longer journeys, but I’m not going to stop traveling if it doesn’t play out that way. Way too much to see, do, and experience.

Long live miles and points!

10. DanR says:

If I may add the obvious……

This mile / points thing as allowed me to show my family a number of places, I would probably be able too. This Sunday we are off to Milan. Ireland is on the soon to do list ! Cannot wait to see the historic castles and charming people there…

Thanks, grazie, gracias, etc ……

11. DanR says:

Meant to say “I would probably NOT be able to do” ! Looking to see family members that we have not seen in 10 years….. Very grateful here !

12. Robert Hanson says:

Glad you got there, and I hope for a full trip report once you get back, as my first trip to Ireland is yet to happen. How ironic, though, that you got there on a type of award that US Air canceled right around the time you left. As usual, your timing is impeccable.

13. Miles says:

Those of us who have discovered frequent-flyer miles, and how to easily get vast quantities of them, are just incredibly fortunate.

14. Cindy says:

Okay Europe in Feb. My first guess is 30k award w US miles. Second guess: Aer Limgus from Boston for 25k? I think it’s the first though. :)

15. Reader says:

@MommyPoints and Husband, Have you been trying the local Guinness brews!?