Yesterday I was able to join some other frequent flyers for a United Mini Do just north of Houston for some good food, good fun, and to raise some money for Frequent Flyer Giving to support United WeCare Employee Relief Fund. The event was held at Jasper’s (a yummy restaurant in The Woodlands) and included appetizers and a set three-course menu.

20130224-072143.jpg

I’ve written about “Mega Dos” many times in the past, but not everyone has the ability to leave home for several days to travel around with 100+ other frequent flyers. However, many of us can leave home for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon to hang out with like-minded folks on a “Mini Do”.  This Do (aka “meet up”) was almost literally in my backyard, and it was for my airline of choice, so there was no way I was going to miss it.  The food was much better than anything I would normally eat on a Saturday afternoon!

20130224-072149.jpg

20130224-072155.jpg

But more importantly it was a really good time.  Everyone in attendance got to put faces with online screen names, and meet folks from United who had flown in from Chicago to be at the event.  There was lots of swapping of travel tips and ideas for shared destinations like Anchorage and San Juan (since both recently had very inexpensive fares from some cities via United).  Not all of the attendees were local, but many were from cities in Texas, so you aren’t just meeting “random” online friends, but you are meeting people who may actually be on some of your flights in the future.

20130224-072200.jpg

As is typical at these type of events, raffle tickets are often sold to benefit charity and unique “aviation geek” items are given away to the winners.  At this particular event there were old Continental signs, United model airplanes, United passport covers, United and Continental glasses and mugs, drink certificates, and the grand prize was a boarding carpet.  That probably sounds like garbage to some, but to some #avgeeks (term used lovingly) they are treasures!

20130224-072206.jpg

I won a model airplane to add to my collection and a retro Continental coffee mug that will be put to good use.

20130224-072212.jpg

It was announced at this event that future United MiniDos would be held at alternating cities around the country about 3-4 times per year.  They will focus on getting around to some other United hub cities, so keep your eyes and ears open if this is something you would want to attend in the future.  If you want to start getting together with others in the miles and points community in person then regularly check the Meet Up Forum on Milepoint and the CommunityBuzz section on Flyertalk (though this particular Mini Do was actually posted in the United forum on Milepoint).

I highly recommend joining in on some “in person” fun at a similar event in the future.  Thanks again to everyone who helped put on this United Mini Do event, I know I will be watching for when it returns to the Houston area in the future.

10 Responses to “Network With Others and Have Fun at Mini Dos”

1. Mike says:

All the DO’s are lame. Just another way for bloggers to make money off free information.

Mike, not sure what you are referring to. Dos like this have nothing to do with bloggers (other than some like to attend as we are #avgeeks too). In fact all dos I have attended have always cost me money, not earned me money. They usually earn money for charity, and let those in the miles and points community come together and have a good time.

2. PointsObsession says:

Hey Mike, maybe you read the Sunday paper and quit being a jerk.

3. bababooey says:

was that a picture of enchiladas with cole slaw on it?

4. Bill says:

Hi Summer!

Where does one find out about events like this one? I live in Houston and would have definitely attended if I had known about it…I read different blogs from BoardingArea on a daily basis and don’t recall seeing anything about this event…

The entree I had was the trout option listed on the menu above. It was delicious!

Bill, I linked the two main places to check for things like this on Flyertalk and Milepoint above. That’s where I learned about it and other similar events. I would have posted it myself, but was almost sold out when I bought my ticket. Would love to see you at a future event!

5. perryplatypus says:

Hey Mommy Points, Will you be at the Austin MegaDo 2.5 next week? Mrs. Perryplatypus is looking forward to her 1st frequent flier meetup to see if others are truly crazy her husband :)

6. David says:

HI< love your blog. I was in the same position as you and not able to apply for the Carlson US Bank card because I had to beg them last August to give me the Lan and Flexperks cards. and I have 4 hard hits on my good credit report and 778 score. You were going to wait. Have you applied yet; if so results??

PerryPlatypus, sadly we have a conflict with the date so have to miss this year. Bummed as it was a good time last year!
    David, I did apply this week and got instant approval. Until this week, I had only had one credit card app since mid-August.

8. houstonmama says:

Bummed I didn’t know about this :(. I’ll definitely be on the look out for the next one.