Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
There are many reports of a nice little gift from Starwood Preferred Guest when you qualify or requalify for Gold or Platinum elite status in 2013. For those not familiar, the traditional route of achieving Gold status is 10 stays or 25 nights at SPG hotels in a calendar year. Platinum status is achieved via 25 stays or 50 nights in a calendar year. Remember with SPG that award stays count toward status. If you want a potentially easier route, you can also achieve Gold status via having the Amex Platinum card or via spending $30,000 in a calendar year on the Amex SPG cards (which also come with stays and nights that count toward achieving status).
It seems that for the purposes of this promo you have to qualify via stays or nights or by spending $30K on the SPG Amex cards, but if you do the payoff is pretty nice. If you requalify for the SPG elite status you had in 2012 in 2013, or qualify for status even if you didn’t have it in 2012 then you get:
Gold Status Gift: Choose between double Starpoints for a month or 25%-off a Starpoints redemption.
Platinum Status Gift: Choose between a double Starpoints month of their choice (from the three months listed as options at time of registration) or 35%-off a Starpoints redemption.
You can check your eligibility here, but keep in mind it should not show you as eligible until you requalify this year.
Here are the main points as posted by Starwood Lurker on Flyertalk (highlighting mine):
- 1.) Gold members can choose between double Starpoints for a month or 25%-off a Starpoints redemption.
- 2.) Platinum members can choose between a double Starpoints month of their choice (from the three months listed as options at time of registration) or 35%-off a Starpoints redemption.
- 3.) The %-off redemption awards are valid for up to 5 nights at a Category 1-6 hotel or resort and are valid for 6 months from the month of registration. Fifth Night Free benefit can be combined with this award.
- 4.) Earning and redemption dates are served up at time of registration and they will always be in the future (may not be chosen retroactively). If you qualified today but wanted to wait and register later in the year for a double Starpoints month later in the year, or for a later redemption window on your %-off award, you may do so but there is no going back to choose previous months.
- 5.) Members who earn or requalify their elite status this calendar year (10 stays or 25 nights for Gold; 25 stays or 50 nights for Platinum) will be sent an email letting them know they can choose their gift. If you are not opted in to SPG promotional emails, you will still be able to access the site if you are eligible (spg.com/elitegift2013).
- 6.) Preferred members who achieve Gold status and Gold members requalifying are eligible for the Gold gift. Gold members who achieve Platinum status and Platinum members requalifying are eligible for the Platinum gift.
- 7.) If a member obtains Gold status by meeting the spend threshold on their SPG Amex cobrand credit card, they will also be eligible for the Gold gift.
- 8.) Lifetime Gold members who hit the Gold stay or night thresholds and Lifetime Platinums who hit the Platinum stay or night thresholds will also be eligible for gift selection.
- 9.) The campaign will run all year so if you haven’t earned or requalified yet there is plenty of time.
- 10.) All offers can be used in tandem with other promotions in market.
I think it is very awesome that this stacks with the fifth night free benefit. Let’s say that your family wanted five nights at the Category 4 Swan or Dolphin properties on Walt Disney World property. Normally free nights are 10,000 points each, but with the fifth night free they ring in effectively at 8,000 points per night for five nights. Assuming you are qualifying or re-qualifying for Platinum and accept the 35% off award, then the total price drops to 26,000 points for five nights on Disney property. That is effectively 5,200 points per night. That is almost half the original points price before stacking the two promos. Great deal.
This promo is actually a decent extra incentive to try and hit status – especially if you have a rather expensive award stay in mind. Two thumbs up from me for this unexpected gift from SPG for those who hit elite status this year!
What do you think about this deal? If you think you will qualify for this gift, how do you plan to spend it?