I’ve been closely watching the construction progress of the Hyatt Andaz Wailea for quite a while now.  I would be interested in a new Hyatt in a great spot regardless, but my husband and I have our a fifth anniversary trip to Maui coming up and this hotel is very high on the list of places we want to stay for a few days.  As can be common, construction hasn’t exactly been 100% on schedule, so the opening date has remained a bit in-flux.  However as of today the reservation systems are up and running for stays beginning on September 15th of this year.  This mean you can start booking award reservations as well!

While construction is still ongoing, here is a recent photo posted on their Facebook page.  For what it’s worth, their Facebook page seems to be a pretty good source for updates and info and they are pretty decent about answering questions posted there.

Opening Date:

The hotel itself is still aiming for an opening date at the very end of June or beginning of July, but won’t accept reservations closer to that time frame until the date is more certain.  While those date details are not yet known, we now know several things since reservations are up and running for dates beginning 9/15.

Rates:

This place ain’t cheap – not that we thought it would be.  As of right now, rates seem to be in the $400 – $600 range per night.  I’m sure more deals will come down the pipeline at some point, but be ready for some sticker shock.  For comparison purposes, the Hyatt Regency Maui where I stayed in December often has nights in the off-season starting in the $200 – $300 range.  This is a different part of the island, but wowzers.

Using Points:

Of course rates don’t matter much if you plan to stay on points.  It is no surprise that the hotel rings in as a top tier Category 6 Hyatt that requires 22,000 points per night.  Some test reservations gave me the option of reserving either the Andaz Garden King or Andaz Garden Queen as the base rooms on points.

Room Types:

In addition to the Garden view base rooms, there are also Partial Ocean View, Andaz Ocean View, Deluxe Ocean View, Andaz Suites, and Premier Suites available.  If you care about bathing arrangements, only the Deluxe Ocean view rooms and above have both a rain shower and a tub, the other rooms seem to just have the rain shower.

I’m waiting on a definite answer as to which room type a Diamond confirmed upgrade or additional points will get you.  I’m sure hoping it is to the Andaz Suite (they have 33 of them), but I want to confirm that and not make assumptions since we have seen some properties count some non-suite rooms as suite upgrades in the past.  There is at least one report already shared on FT by someone who did use additional points to book his award stay into the Andaz Suite.  Just an FYI that when you search for more than just two adults (ie two adults and a kid or two) the only room options that display are the rooms with two queens.  The Andaz Suite even at 850 square feet does not show as an option.

Update: The hotel has confirmed that the Diamond confirmed upgrades book into the Andaz Suite, so that is good news!  However, they also said that the upgrades cannot be secured until the hotel opens.

It looks like Scott from Hack My Trip is also keeping close tabs on this property.  Anyone else planning to use points (or cash) to stay at this hotel?

25 Responses to “New Hyatt Andaz Maui Accepting Reservations – Prices and Award Level Known”

1. blake says:

dying to hit this quite a bit earlier than september 15th…fingers crossed

2. Michael says:

Would love to find a way to book this in mid-December before the holiday break — either with a weekly room at $400 a night that upgrades to the Andaz Suite or on points (27K a night?).

Question: did you see the rendering of the Andaz King? There looked like there was a daybed in the room. That can’t be right, eh? that would be perfect for my twins.

Michael, that would be interesting. It would be 33K per night if you booked a suite solely on points.

4. Steve f says:

Well. I’m booked at the grand Hyatt kuaui. Decisions decisions.

Steve, I’ve heard nothing but good things about that property…and that island. Is your trip long enough to do two islands? If not, maybe one this time and one next time. :)

5. Reader says:

For Hyatt Suite upgrades certifcates, do those work when using points for your stay?

6. Diana W says:

We have our 5yr anniversary coming up and considering this property too =) (Well, at least I am. Husband still needs to be convinced).

7. RomsdeAls says:

I’m in Maui right now and would totally stay there on points. I’m in a condo right now because the Hyatt Maui is a ripoff for 22K points and about $50 a night in fees. I love having a kitchen and laundry machine here at Maui Eldorado.

8. John says:

Michael — I had the same thought as well about the day bed for my twins. However, I believe one wing of the hotel is adults only so it would be problematic if you end up getting assigned at check-in to that wing because you selected a king bed room.

9. Nick says:

While Wailea prices are higher than Ka’anapali regularly – you can get some steals on Priceline or doing a BRG. I personally prefer Ka’anapali though anyway.

10. Michael says:

I love LOve LOVE the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. They are generous with their suite upgrades and the place is perfect for kids. My twin 9 year olds loved it and had the roam of the place down (it’s self-contained).

11. shanna says:

Gary and I have been watching this too, in hopes of a mileage run/surfing long weekend. Don’t want to wait until Sept! Would suggest we meet up, but wouldn’t want to crash your anny:-)

Reader, sadly no. Must be via a paid stay.
    Diana, it took an insane amount of convincing for my husband too. Come on, it’s Hawaii! He agreed as long as it wasn’t coach. ;)
    RomsDeals, I really liked the other Hyatt Maui property, but I got a good deal on dollars and used a suite upgrade. I’m with you on wanting to try out this property as well.
    John, interesting. I will try to find out more about that.
    Nick, they are different parts for sure.
    Michael, it is a very good family property.
    Shanna, fun! You know I love you guys and would totally meet up…though our dates may be later than you are shooting for. Will chat soon. ;)

13. Anita says:

Summer,

I called Hyatt two nights ago when I saw that this was bookable now. I have no Hyatt points and wanted to check availability before I transferred my Chase points to Hyatt.

The CSR told me that points stays won’t be bookable until 1 month after the place opens (so Oct 2013).

If I’m reading the above correctly, you were able to see availability via points. Correct?

Anita

Anita, I absolutely saw availability via points. I did not go all the way through the booking process as I didn’t want to actually book, but it displayed the rooms available on points when I put in dates past 9/15.

14. Anita says:

Thanks! I’m so glad the CSR was incorrect!

Anita

15. John D says:

We stayed at the Fairmont a few weeks ago and drove by the entrance several times. From the street side it looks like they still have a long way to go.

16. Shaun says:

Just booked 4 nights from Chase Hyatt card at this hotel on thanksgiving weekend. Hope it’s worth it flying all the way from HNL to OGG!

17. John says:

Mommy Points, see TPG’s article

“The resort’s main pool area will include four multiple-cascade infinity pools leading to the beach, while in the adults-only wing of the building to the northwest, there will be an adults-only pool as well.”

18. Chris says:

Does anyone know if I could use stay certificates? I have tried to find availability for end of September but was not successful yet.

19. Bruce says:

If they tell you that they do not have availability for stay certificates, call corporate and lodge a formal complaint. This os a typical Hyatt local hotel issue. As a hyatt hotel they must comply and offer availability, they are telling guests they have not loaded inventory yet as an excuse but in reality they do not want to honor the corporate discount pricing. Not good customer service, they just want to charge more than double for the rooms! Customer complaints at corporate will get you the stay certificate rate, don’t take no for an answer

20. AXK says:

Thanks for the info. Look forward to going this property next summer!

21. Lynn says:

Was thinking of a stay in November. Was wondering if the Hyatt credit card 2 nights would work here.