A few months ago, Spirit Airlines (the airline everybody loves to hate) gave away 25,000 mile vouchers in Houston to celebrate the launch of some new routes. My family and I loaded up to get the certificates (I even went to more than one location). We waited in the quick moving lines, and indeed we all received our 25,000 mile vouchers. You can read all about that process here. My travel schedule got too busy to use the miles myself, but I do have four friends in Vegas as we speak thanks to the miles I picked up that day. My parents used theirs to go to Vegas last week to see Elton John. The point is, it is legit and even with all of its drawbacks, Spirit Airlines does (usually) get you from Point A to Point B. Here is a trip review to prove it.
Now it is Philadelphia’s turn to be the recipients of Spirit operated routes from Philadelphia to Dallas/Fort Worth, Myrtle Beach and Las Vegas, and a Spirit operated giveaway!
Here are the details on the giveaway in Philadelphia on Thursday 5/16/13:
- First 1,000 people (18 and up) will receive 25,000 miles each
- Giveaway starts at 11:00 am on Thursday May 16th
- Giveaway is happening at Independence Visitor Center – Main Level (on 6th Street between Market and Arch Streets) 1 North Independence Mall West – GPS address is 599 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Entrances to the parking garage (Auto Park at Independence Mall) are located on 5th and 6th Streets between Market and Arch Streets.
- Recipients of the 25,000 FREE SPIRIT frequent flyer bonus miles certificates must register their certificate within 7 days of receipt.
- Miles will be deposited within 45 days of registration.
- Certificates are good for one time use, and only one 25,000-mile certificate can be credited to a FREE SPIRIT account.
In Houston they gave away three sets of 1,000 vouchers and the crowds really weren’t that bad. They may be a bit worse in Philly since they are just giving away one set of 1,000 vouchers, but hopefully it won’t be too bad. I would still plan on getting there a little early to ensure a decent spot in line. In the end I didn’t get a chance to redeem my vouchers for myself as I just couldn’t add another trip in the time frame they were valid since the points expire 90 days after deposit unless you continue to earn…which I wasn’t planning on doing. However, my friends who used them are glad I took the time to wait in line!
Spirit is not for everyone, but it can be a very good alternative for some who just wants a way to get from Point A to Point B. My parents have flown them twice in the last few months, and lived to tell the tale both times. You just need to know their rules and plan accordingly – especially with luggage. If you have their co-branded credit card you can even get flights for just 2,500 miles each way. 2,500 miles from Houston to Vegas is unheard of in any other program, so even if they aren’t for everyone, they can certainly be worth considering when they are free such as via this giveaway!
If you go, I’d love to hear from you on how it went! Thanks to The Points Guy for sharing this info.