Like many of you, I have been keeping close tabs on the Andaz Maui Wailea for quite some time.  A little while back they opened reservations for stays starting mid-September, but it was anticipated they would be open before that this summer.  The good news is that they are now accepting reservations for stays starting on July 29th!

I just made a reservation using points for our 5th anniversary trip since the paid rates were $500+ per night.  Ouch!  At that price, I am getting a huge value for my 22K points per night.  If you do want to stay on cash instead of points, then check out The Points Guy’s post on a deal that offers two free nights with four paid nights.

On my reservation it said that cancellations must be made at least 21 days in advance to avoid a penalty.  Ouch, again!  Regardless, I am very much looking forward to our stay.  If you want to make reservations starting July 29th, I would get to booking (just remember the cancellation penalty).

Thanks to Mark at Personal Finance World for letting me know about this development.

16 Responses to “Hyatt Andaz Maui Wailea Accepting Reservations Starting July 29th”

1. Sean says:

We love Maui. Great use of Hyatt/UR points for this new property. I hope we can check it out in 2013. Enjoy your anniversary trip!

2. Tim says:

Really looking forward to this, booked yesterday for Feb. I’m quite surprised to hear they’ve moved the opening forward, after reading this last week:
    We had our fifth anniversary in Wailea last year, it was amazing. Have a great time.
    Don’t miss Monkeypod Kitchen behind the resorts. Hand down the best craft cocktails/beers on the island.

3. Paul says:

Look like HA airlines just raised their awards from North America to 40K from 35K with no notice about 1 to 2 hours ago. I was booking an award to actually stay at the Andaz and in mid booking the awards changed. I am dead serious. Trying to get answers now, but a PIA calling HA

4. Ed C. says:

Interesting — I got a nice invite from the property via postal mail as well as an offer to stay at the property.

If I stay 4 nights, I get 2 nights free and a $75 resort credit. If I stay 5 nights, I get 2 nights free + $150 resort credit.

Seems to be general member targeted (not diamond) as there were no references to my diamond status.

5. Paul says:

Ed-

I think anyone can book the deal, I was working on it today and spoke with Hyatt. Still around 500-600 per night before the 2 free nights.

6. Heather says:

I agree with Mark – you MUST go to Monkeypod Kitchen – they serve fabulous local food! If you dive at all, SCUBA Shack in Kihei is great as well! Enjoy Maui and I look forward to your posts about it!

7. DBest says:

Unless I’m missing something, isn’t that only 2-3 cents per point? I would rather use vrbo.com to stay in Kihei, and save the Hyatt points for really expensive hotels like Park Hyatt Vendome or PH Tokyo.

Allright, y’all have sold me on MoneyPod Kitchen – thanks for the suggestion!

DBest, probably closer to 3 cents with taxes/fees, which is really good for Hyatt points. I have also used points at PH Tokyo when the rate was similar (maybe even a tad lower) and plan to use them at Park Hyatt Vendome as well. All great redemptions!

9. Sharon says:

Oh thanks for the great tip about Moneypod! I am going to check it out too during my stay at grand Wailea in July! My other favorite in Maui is Mama’s Fish House, little far from Wailea (40 min) but so worth the ride!!!

I need to convince hubby to go to Hawaii! So far he declines Hawaii but would jump for Mexico every time! Yeah crazy! Kids and I have been going without him! ;-)

10. Robert Hanson says:

“cancellations must be made at least 21 days in advance to avoid a penalty”
    A two night penalty for a standard award, not a reduced “advance purchase” one? Same thing for a paid room at the standard “Andaz rate” of $850 a night all in this July or August.
    A forced cancelation because a family member becomes ill, and you lose 44,000 points, or $1,700.00? Even if you cancel 20 days in advance. Utterly disgusting ! SPG makes it only a 3 day notice.
    I invite everyone to join me in a boycott of this property until they change this ridiculous policy. :D

Robert Hanson, I’ve actually experienced longer cancellation policies at some SPG ski properties. I hate it, but I do understand it for places that aren’t likely to be able to sell the room at the last minute. Would like to see it a little more flexible though.

11. Robert Hanson says:

I haven’t checked ski properties, since this post was about a Maui property, and I wanted to keep it apples to apples. SPG Maui Sheraton cancel requirement, for refundable rates this summer, is 3 days. If people are willing to book the Maui Andaz with a 21 requirement, Hyatt will keep it at 21 days. If they refuse, and the property sits half empty, they will have to reconsider. Just sayin….

12. Sam_goh says:

That post linked above really scares me. I honestly would trust “boost on the ground” more than what Hyatt is saying. Have a 3 day stay there around Christmas, hoping it really is open :)

13. Tommy B. says:

Any chance we can see a slightly earlier opening date? I’m staying 5 nights starting July 19th, and would love to stay here, but was planning on staying at the Hyatt Regency.

Tommy, always a chance. I would get a hold of the hotel and see if they can give you any further guidance on what they think their actual opening day will be.

14. […] many other Hyatt and Hawaii junkies, I have kept a pretty close eye on the progress of the construction and opening schedule of the Andaz Maui at Wailea.  Though Hack My Trip saw the progress first-hand a month or so ago.  […]