Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Earlier today the first round of Daily Getaway packages went on sale. A couple minutes later the hot items were pretty much all gone. That means this year is shaping up to be just like last year. In some cases the deals are pretty good, but the competition for the good deals is fierce. Lots of folks wanted Marriott GiftCards at 20% off, so they sold out very quickly. The Ultimate and Premier nights certs are still available as of 2PM Central.
I have read success stories from today, and I have read stories of disappointment and frustration when it didn’t work out. As I have said before, it is like a virtual “sample sale”, but with travel packages up for grabs instead of designer dresses. If you can’t keep a sense of humor about it, I highly recommend ignoring these deals all together.
That said, here are my suggestions to increase the odds you get to purchase your desired travel package/deal/points. I posted virtually the same suggestions last year.
- Start refreshing the Daily Getaways page obsessively starting 1-2 minutes before “go-time”.
- Recruit a friend or partner to do the same on another computer.
- If applicable, have your rewards program number nearby (for points purchases).
- Have your credit card nearby (preferably an Amex card for the 10% discount).
- Don’t get greedy – maybe go for a lesser package and don’t try to do tons at once (unless you are okay being left on the sideline if it doesn’t work).
- If it doesn’t work at first, keep trying as those who don’t check out with the package in their cart will have that package re-released for sale. Until it actually says “sold out”, it isn’t.
- Be patient – just consider this a game of sorts. You will probably not get everything you want.
- Cross your fingers!
Some folks do crazy things like have scripts run, but all you really need to do are the things listed above and you will have a good shot. No guarantees, but it has worked for me many times. If you have other tips please feel free to share them!