Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Saturdays mean time to catch-up on laundry, sleep (ha!), grocery shopping, and of course miles and points news.
- Office Depot goes to “cash only” for some $500 and variable load gift cards. They just brought back some of these gift cards this week, along with the hard-coded “cash only” policy. I haven’t had a chance to get to my own OD yet, but Frequent Miler has been to several, so head there for the most recent details.
- Daily Getaways are over for this year, but there are about 35 ‘deals’ still for sale. Many of them are likely of little interest (that’s why they are left), but I personally just picked up some Priority Club points that were still for sale since I needed them for a particular redemption.
- United gave me (and several others) mild heart palpitations by announcing a change that was coming…then announced some new perks when buying or leasing a Mercedes. Bonus miles for car purchases for elite members are nice, even if it will only help a smallish set of people. Then announced that wasn’t the change they announced, so a change is still coming. Looks like we will likely learn of what this change is early next week – they are insisting it is good – hopefully we all agree.
- Register now for the third quarter HHonors promo that offers triple points on Friday, Saturday and Sunday or double points for stays on Monday through Thursday nights. There are a good number of hotels not participating. Learn more about this and other current hotel promos on my Hotel Promos page.
- There are positive reports of Hyatt stays/nights status posting from stays at MGM Las Vegas properties. So far the few data points seem to indicate about 10 – 14 days between the stays and the posting time, so be patient and hold on to your folios just in case there is a glitch that requires a manual fix.
- If you are a tennis fan, check out the SPG Moments opportunities at the US Open for this year. I used some SPG points for a SPG Moment opportunity to see a game a Wrigley Field earlier this year. None of these US Open moments jumped out at me as immediately being as good a deal, mostly because they are auctions as opposed to fixed prices. However, if you are really into tennis or just into the idea of a tennis clinic with Andy Roddick then they might be great deals for you. In general, I prefer the “redeem now” options because I stink at auctions. Some of the current “redeem now” options include 2 passes + food/beverage to the 95th PGA Championship for 20k points, 2 premium tickets to see Pink in Melbourne for 5k points, etc.
- Earn 300 – 600 free United miles for taking a survey. I have not done this as reports are it is a little time consuming, and others that have done it say it was a royal pain….so proceed at your own risk.
Let me know if I missed any big miles and points news, and have a great weekend!