Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Please stop reading now if your blood pressure rises when you are left out of targeted promos, but for everyone else who likes United this might be a little interesting. I read on Just Another Points Traveler about a new targeted campaign by United that certainly got my attention. There seem to be a couple different versions of this promo including this one as posted in this Flyertalk thread (but be aware there are several versions):
Earn up to 25,000 miles or 3 upgrades when you fly United.
Wherever your travels take you, there has never been a better time to choose United®. For a limited time, you can earn up to 25,000 bonus award miles or 3 Regional Premier Upgrades when you fly with United and United Express®. Simply register today, choose your reward and start planning your trips.
Register by November 1 and book your next trip today.
•Book your travel between August 15 and November 15, 2013
•Fly between August 15 and November 15, 2013
Earn When you fly
1 qualifying roundtrip = 5,000 bonus miles or 1 Regional Premier Upgrade
2 qualifying roundtrips = 10,000 bonus miles or 2 Regional Premier Upgrades
4 qualifying roundtrips = 25,000 bonus miles or 3 Regional Premier Upgrades
Register today, and make sure to book your trips in the following qualifying fare classes:
•United Global First/First: F, A, P
•United BusinessFirst/Business: J, C, D, Z, P
•United Economy: Y, B, M, E, U, H
On united.com, you can search for flights in these fare classes under the ‘What Is Your Fare Preference?’ section of the Flight Search page.
I did not receive an email about the promo from United, but of course tried to register anyway just to see what would happen. I tried my account, my husband’s account, and my daughter’s account, and we all got a goose egg saying we were not eligible. Of course I wish we were targeted, but I’m glad they are at least offering promos for some folks, even if you must fly some of the higher fare classes to get the goodies associated with the promo.
I also like that they are allowing people to choose whether they want to earn miles or upgrades based on what suits their needs best. Honestly, I would take a regional upgrade over 5,000 bonus miles and use it on a longer route to Alaska, Hawaii, or similar. However, there are different versions of this promo so in some cases the miles may make more sense than the upgrades.
Who all got lucky with this one and what version of the promo did you get?
Also, I wanted to point out that AAdvantage Geek has info on a very interesting American Airlines elite status promo that I’m not yet 100% sure is a public or targeted offer (though it seems too good to be open to everyone!).
Here are the official terms:
- Only original recipients of email invitation to the offer can register and participate in the promotion.
- To qualify for this offer, eligible members must register, purchase and complete a paid, qualifying roundtrip to any destination worldwide on flights operated by United and United Express® within the qualifying ticketing and travel periods.
- Ticketing dates: August 15, 2013 through November 15, 2013
- Travel dates: August 15, 2013 through November 15, 2013
- Offer is valid on H, U, E, M, B, Y, Z, P, J, C, D, A and F fare classes. At least one segment of the qualifying roundtrip should be booked in the eligible fare class to qualify for this offer.
- For this offer, a roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first origin city with all segments on flights operated by United and United Express. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. One-way, circle trips, multi-city itineraries and itineraries with stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
- The offer is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
- The offer is not valid on government fares.
- Passenger must be a member of United’s MileagePlus program for travel to qualify for this offer. Qualifying flight activities must be credited to the MileagePlus account by November 25, 2013 in order to qualify for this offer.
- You must register and select the bonus award miles or Regional Premier Upgrades through promotion registration page by November 1, 2013 in order to qualify for the promotion.
- This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
- Each Regional Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade and will expire on December 31, 2014. Standard Regional Premier Upgrade terms apply. You can review the terms at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/regupgrades.aspx.
- Bonus award miles or Regional Premier Upgrades will post to your account 6-8 weeks after the offer end date of November 15, 2013.
- E-Ticket ® purchase required. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the United States and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change.
- Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
- Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. United may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the MileagePlus Program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements for Premier status, will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to www.united.com.