Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Quick updates on some miles and points “news of the day”.
- Last call to activate the 3rd quarter 5x bonus categories on your Chase Freedom® Visa. The deadline for activation is September 14th (Saturday), but once you activate it is retroactive back to the start of the quarter on July 1. The 5x bonus categories are for gas stations, theme parks, and Kohl’s. Remember that many gas stations also sell some various gift cards, so that can be a way to get closer to the $1,500 quarterly cap if you haven’t spent very much in those bonus categories thus far. Just so you can start planning accordingly, the 4th quarter 5x bonus categories will kick in on October 1, and they will include Amazon.com and select department stores such as JC Penney, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Sears, and hundreds more.
- Today only, Best Western is offering a 6,500 point bonus for bookings made today. You must register for the promo before 5PM Mountain and then make your reservation before midnight Mountain time. 6,500 points is enough points to redeem for a $25 gift card, which makes sense given they are celebrating their 25th anniversary. Valid for stays through October 31st.
- The Chase Ink cards are now being released as Visa cards instead of MasterCards. Aside from a few benefit differences, this doesn’t mean all that much to most users, but it will be interesting to see if it is treated as a new and different product…..
- Southwest Airlines “No Show Policy” kicks in tomorrow (September 13th). This means that you need to cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure of the flight if you are not going to be on the flight. Customers who fail to cancel or change a Wanna Get Away or DING! fare segment at least 10 minutes prior to travel and who do not board the flight, will be considered a no show, and all remaining funds on this reservation will be forfeited, including Business Select and Anytime funds. This applies to tickets purchased or changed after May 10, 2013.
- You can now get bonus points for referring your friends/family to Chase cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, up to a max of 50,000 points (5k per approved referral) through January 31st. Seems you can only refer for cards you actually have. This is pretty great, especially since the Amex referral program seems to have disappeared in recent months!
Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links. As always, thanks for your support.