Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
If you are looking to fly on a United economy saver award from the US or Canada (excluding Hawaii) to Europe this winter, you can do so for 20% fewer miles if you book by November 19th. This brings the round trip price from 60,000 miles to 48,000 miles. Keep in mind that both US Airways and American Airlines also have (cheaper) off-peak awards to Europe that overlap with some of those dates. To take advantage of this deal you must fly on a United operated flight. However, if you were looking to take advantage of sitting in United in E+ or similar then this may work for you.
Book: November 6 – November 19, 2013
Travel: January 13 – March 11, 2014
The lower price should display automatically when you search for award flights.
Here are some terms and conditions:
- Saver Awards discount valid only for air travel. Promotion period ends 11:59 p.m. (CT) on November 19, 2013.
- Offer is valid for travel completed between January 13, 2014, and March 11, 2014.
- Discount on Saver Awards to Europe is valid only for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights and is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
- Discounted Saver Award is valid only for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) or Canada, and Europe.
- Discount is valid only for roundtrip travel in United Economy.
- For this offer, a roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first origin city with all segments on flights operated by United or United Express. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
- Tickets must be purchased at least 21 days in advance to qualify for this discount.
- Open jaw itineraries within the same region do qualify for the Saver Award discount to Europe (e.g., fly into Chicago O’Hare and out of New York/Newark).
- This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
- Passenger is responsible for all taxes, fees, baggage fees and surcharges applicable to award travel, including, with respect to government-imposed taxes and fees; passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18 per roundtrip; September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 per roundtrip (one-way travel may incur fees in excess of $5); U.S. segment tax of $3.90 for each domestic segment (takeoff and landing); U.S. excise tax of $17.20 for each international arrival and departure in the U.S.; U.S. inspection fees of up to $17.20 for each arrival in the U.S.; and non-U.S. government ticket taxes, fees and airport charges. As of June 1, 2013, all taxes, fees and surcharges may add up to $265 per ticket. Such taxes, fees and surcharges must be paid at the time of ticketing and are subject to change. Any valid, unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center for a refund, subject to a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. Award seats are subject to availability and capacity-control restrictions. For more information on MileagePlus award travel, visit united.com/awards.
- Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
- Not combinable with other offers.
- Combinable with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Awards one way and Saver Awards one way) but only the flight segment purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for discount.
- Only members with Global ServicesSM status and primary cardholders of select MileagePlus Credit Cards issued by Chase are eligible for upgrades on award tickets.
- Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling United Reservations. Changes may be subject to additional service fees of up to $200 per ticket (based on account status at time that miles were redeemed):
- Applicable service charges may be imposed for each requested change that necessitates the re-issuance of the ticket.
- If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the promotion period, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account, subject to an applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the mileage-redemption rate commensurate with the new award.
- If the value of a partially used ticket is applied to travel outside of the promotion period, a new one-way ticket must be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage-redemption rate must be redeemed. The unused return portion of the ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.
- Redemption of additional award miles may be required if any portion of the itinerary is outside of the promotion period.