Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Recently some people have been excited about the new quarterly IHG Rewards PointBreaks list where you can book a night at an ever-changing list of hotels for just 5,000 IHG Reward points per night (instead of the regular up to 50,000 points per night). No question that this is a great deal if one of the hotels on the list lines up with your travel plans, but this deal has led to a few folks asking me what other types of hotel points redemption deals are out there similar to this one.
While there isn’t another hotel rewards night deal out there just like PointBreaks, there are other hotel reward night deals out there that I am happy to put together so you can see if one of these deals might help your family stretch your points and save some cash.
- Club Carlson Last Award Night Free: If you have the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature then you will get your last hotel award night free when you redeem points. On two night stays this becomes essentially a “buy one get one” deal on points. You aren’t charged for the last award night on points, it is simply “free”. Even though this deal does require that you have the co-branded credit card in order to take advantage, it is still a very unique and valuable deal.
- SPG 5th Award Night Free: While this isn’t quite as useful as getting the last award night free on redemptions the way Club Carlson does it, getting the fifth award night free at category 3-7 hotels on Starwood Preferred Guest redemptions is still a good way to save some points. For example, on a SPG category 4 redemption that requires 10k SPG points per night, such as the Walt Disney Swan (Westin), you would need 40k points for a five night stay instead of 50k points.
- SPG Nights and Flights: Perhaps an even better deal when redeeming SPG points for 5 night stays is the nights and flights options. To use this deal you have to be redeeming at a Category 3 or 4 SPG hotel, but you get not only 5 nights at the hotel, but also 50,000 airline miles with one of their many airline transfer partners that transfer 1:1 to use toward that trip (or in any way you wish). This will cost you 60k points for Category 3 hotels or 70k points for Category 4 hotels, and it really is one of the best uses of SPG points.
- SPG re-qualification points discount: Another deal that can help conserve SPG points can be obtained when you re-qualify for elite status in 2013 as they are sending out a discounts of 25% for Gold re-qualification and 35% for Platinum re-qualification at stays in Category 1-6 hotels of up to 5 nights in length. If leveraged appropriately, this could easily save you thousands of SPG points on the trip of your choice.
- Hilton HHonors elites get the 5th night free on standard award stays. Hilton also offers four night stays at category 5-10 hotels at a reduced points price to Hilton Amex cardholders. These are often referred to as AXON awards.
- Marriott offers travel packages that include both hotel nights and airline miles (similar to SPG nights and flights). They also offer 10% additional MileagePlus miles if you choose to earn United miles due to their partnership. Packages for 7 nights in a Category 1-5 Marriott + 55,000 United miles start at 200,000 Marriott points.
- Marriott PointSaver awards where select properties are available at a reduced number of points.
- Marriott 5th night free on award stays.
Even if you don’t yet know how any of these deals might benefit your family, it is still helpful to know that they exist in case the opportunity comes up to put some of these to good use on a future trip.
Which of the hotel redemption discounts and deals are your favorite? I’d also love to hear about any of your favorites that I might have accidentally left off the list!
Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a card using one of my affiliate links. As always, thanks for your support!