Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
A couple of weeks ago I wrote up my recent success stories saving money with the Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee, but today I want to take a closer look at the Starwood Preferred Guest Best Rate Guarantee process. I’m really trying to limit the amount of money my family spends on travel (without actually cutting back on much of the travel itself), so I’ve been spending more time than normal searching for hotel best rate guarantee opportunities.
Congratulations, I have carefully reviewed your Best Rate Guarantee claim and I am happy to inform you that your claim is approved, pending further response for you. In order to finalize your claim at the Best Rate, please do the following within 24 hours:
1. Please make your reservation online via a Starwood website for the dates submitted in your claim.
2. Return this email with your online confirmation number.
Guest Name: Joshua Hull
Arrival Date: November X, 2013
Departure Date: November X, 2013
Room Type: Aloft room with two queens
Actual confirmed rate: 179.00 USD plus occupancy tax
Pending claim file number: X
When your confirmation number is received, your reservation will be modified to reflect the new, lower rate and the same room type offered by the competing provider.
You will receive an email confirmation that will include a file claim number when all has been finalized.
This means that we would get the lower rate and get 2,000 bonus SPG points for doing about 5-10 minutes of extra work! However, the mistake I made was having all of this sent to Josh’s email account the week he was working in Vegas, and even though I told him to keep an eye out for it, he overlooked the email until well after 24 hours had passed…meaning we probably will get nothing at all since you have 24 hours to respond after receiving the email.
Even if we messed this one up by not responding in time, the exercise was still a successful one in finding and submitting a SPG Best Rate Guarantee Claim!
Best Rate Guarantee of Many Hotel Chains:
- With Choice Hotels that means you get a free night and the rest of your nights at the lower rate if you find a lower rate within 24 hours of booking
- With Starwood Preferred Guest you get 2,000 bonus points or 10% off the lower rate if you find a lower rate within 24 hours of booking or before you book
- Hyatt will give you 20% off of the rate within 24 hours or before booking
- Kimpton Hotels will match the lower rate and give you a $25 food and beverage credit on your stay
- Priority Club/Intercontinental Hotel Group will give you the first night free and the subsequent nights at the lower rate if you find a lower rate within 24 hours of booking.
- Hilton gives you a $50 American Express for hotels within the U.S.A., Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico or $50 off your bill for hotels located elsewhere.
- Club Carlson knocks off 25% of the lower rate for your stay within 24 hours of booking (but more than 48 hours before the stay).
Have you had recent luck with SPG’s Best Rate Guarantee?