Wyndham Rewards is the hotel loyalty program that you can trust…to change redemption rates dramatically without any advance warning.  They have done it before, said they wouldn’t do it again, and then have done it again a couple times since then.
Wyndham Devaluation
The transfer rate from Wyndham to airlines like United, American, and US Airways was 8,000 points to 3,200 miles; 17,500 points to 7,000 miles; and 30,000 points to 12,000 miles.  To transfer to Southwest it was 8,000 points to 2,400 Rapid Reward points (those have been counting toward the Companion Pass).  Other than with Southwest, that meant that each point was worth .4 airline miles.  During times when the airlines had bonuses with transfers from airlines you could do pretty well with these points.
Now the transfer rates from Wyndham to airlines is 6,000 points to 1,200 miles; 16,000 points to 3,200 miles; and 30,000 points to 6,000 miles.  That means that each point is worth .2 airline miles.  In other words, they have cut the value in half as far as airline transfers go without warning anyone.
I was disappointed just then to realize I still had some Wyndham Rewards points in my account, but I can’t imagine working to add any to my account after I am able to use those unless they are just giving them away on the street corner and I have an immediate need.  Devaluations happen, but in solid programs they are relatively gradual, and at least you have a head’s up that it is coming.  With Wyndham their changes are typically pretty dramatic and without warning.

9 Responses to “Wyndham Devalues Airlines Transfer Rate”

1. Earn em and burn em baby!!! :-D

2. Minos says:

Ain’t that the Patel Motel Chain?

3. Ric Garrido says:

Hopefully now I will be able to pick up cheap Wyndham points for hotel stays in the 2014 Daily Getaways since everyone will not be buying points to transfer to airline miles.

Cutting the points-to-miles exchange rate in half without warning is unfriendly to loyal members, however, with any notice Wyndham Rewards points would have been flying out of accounts.

Ric, indeed. I’ve actually used mine for hotel stays as well, but they can’t be trusted with devaluations on that end either. If all they ever did without notice was the airline transfer rate it wouldn’t bother me as much, but they do this with everything. I agree totally with the earn (cheaply purchase) and burn method with Wyndham. Wyndham points are like holding a hot potato!

5. michael says:

UGH went to transfer and saw this as I unloaded all my united points yesterday went to reload united with these points. So not cool

6. Nick says:

Ridiculous. I actually got that card due to the fact that it earns 2 points/dollar and there are many Wyndham properties where I am working now. Easy to earn points if you can find VR’s — I have frequently used earnings for the miles transfer. With this change, I will DEFINITELY downgrade my card to the free, unpaid version and use it solely for cheap hotel stays when an emergency arises. Will simply have to concentrate more on UR points for mile transfers. That is all we can do. @Minos, I will tell Mr. Patel you said hi.

7. Grant says:

The only time I had Wyndham points is after the Daily Getaways deal. I transfers all the points out shortly after they posted.

8. […] Wyndham Rewards devalues parts of their loyalty program significantly, without notice.  That sucks, and it just gives me one more reason not to be interested in staying with them. […]

9. […] to airline miles were devalued earlier in the year, down to 6,000 points converts to 1,200 miles. Terrible […]