Yesterday I posted about some of the somewhat comical stories coming out of Sochi regarding hotels that aren’t really finished, aren’t really open, or aren’t really fully operational.  Other than have a good sense of humor, drink some vodka, and focus on why you are there (presumably to see the Olympics, not enjoy your 5 star room), there weren’t really any suggestions of what to do if you hate your hotel in Sochi.

Today I thought I would offer some actual suggestions . Namely, get another hotel.  The hotels I stalked online for over a year, now show some availability.  I always thought they would eventually release availability, though I had hoped they would a tad before now.  So far availability is still quite spotty, but on some dates you can even snag the Radisson Blu Resort in Sochi for 50k Club Carlson points per night (or $200ish USD)!  This hotel has been operational for a while, and should be free of the majority of the hotel issues you see on TV.  This would easily be my pick if I was there!  I’m guessing you won’t get the Presidential Suite shown below, but your room should still be pretty nice.

Radisson Blu Sochi

Radisson Blu Sochi

The Park Inn by Radisson Sochi Centre I believe just recently opened, and it seems to have more availability than the Radisson Blu.  According to their website, “it is situated at the railway station square, allowing guests express train access to Adler Airport, Rosa Khutor ski resort and the Winter Games Park.”

Sochi Availability

Availability on February 9th

Availability seems to be changing rapidly, so I would contact the hotel directly if you are interested in trying to secure a room.  Good luck if you try to grab one and Go Team USA!

6 Responses to “What To Do If You Hate Your Hotel in Sochi”

1. iahphx says:

I hate to sound like Captain Obvious, but this is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying (for years) would happen. Unless you get a crazy good deal, never book a nonrefundable hotel room for the Olympics. It’s always better to wait until the last minute, or just show up.

It will be particularly true for Sochi, as all the terrible (and probably overblown) media reports will cause people to cancel. Heck, if you cancelled, who do you think WILL go? Almost nobody. Which is exactly what an AP story today (see front page of Drudge) reports: there are apparently no foreign tourists in Sochi right now! I’m still not sure these Games would be fun to attend, but I am pretty sure there will be plenty of tickets to the events available, at cheap prices.

2. Bor says:

MP,
    did you already sell all of your tickets or still looking to sell?

3. gerrymander says:

I’m not sure you CAN “just show up”. Russian Visa requirements are fairly cumbersome; I had to get a fake hotel reservation to get the invitation you need for a tourist visa, even though I was only doing an 8 hour layover in Moscow.

iahphx, I totally agree, however Russia is a hard place to decide to go without firm plans. I know a few folks still going, but you have to have a truly adventurous spirit and be flexible. I can’t imagine going with a family in tow. However, those who are “still in” can absolutely score some good deals. I’m still quite happy with my decision though. ;)
    Bor, a little of both. Technically a friend has a few of my tickets in Sochi and may sell them there if the opportunity arises, but for the most part they are now out of my hands.
    gerrymander, yeah. It is not exactly a simple country to just pop into for most of us.

5. iahphx says:

The first reports from the slopes (they’re doing prelims today) are that conditions are very good, and things are going smoothly.

This ALSO fits the pattern of the Olympic games: everyone frets the host city isn’t ready, and then things turn out better than expected!

6. rob says:

Well, if you *really* hate the hotel you could turn the shower on and just walk away … but then they’ll catch you with the video: