Miles and points have given my family too many amazing experiences to count, and more are on the way.  Sometimes I get too busy and miss out on some of the amazing and unbelievable moments that happen along the way…but this time I was able to recognize the insanity/amazingness/ridiculousness for what it is, and enjoy the process of getting from Point A to Point B.  For me travel will always be primarily about the destination, but that doesn’t mean that the actual travel process can’t be pretty dang enjoyable as well.

My Airplane Seat Turns Into a Bed:

If you have lost the wonder and amazement that this statement actually encompasses then you need to ground yourself until it sounds amazing again.  Seriously.  Sure, some airplane seats turn into better beds than others, but IT IS STILL A BED IN THE SKY!  Only the smallest fraction of people who are lucky enough to travel ever get to experience this, and we can do it with miles relatively easily.

20140208-204432.jpg

This was my ride last night in Lufthansa First Class, and it was amazing (the comforter was already taken away by the time this picture was taken, so imagine it even fluffier).

Sure I’ll Take Some Caviar:

I’m a normal gal from Texas.  Sure, I’ve lived in New York City and traveled to some great cities, but at no point in my normal life has anyone offered me caviar…except on a plane.  I might have had to look and see how everyone else was eating it to make sure I wasn’t doing it wrong.

20140208-204442.jpg

Porsche Waiting To Drive You From the Plane to the Terminal:

Obviously getting on a bus is just too much of a shock after flying in first class, so naturally a Porsche is the best solution to drive you across the tarmac from the plane to the terminal.

20140208-204502.jpg

I Think I’m in the Mood For Water From Iceland:

Forget the fact (for now) that the actual bar in the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt has over 140 whiskey choices alone.  That’s great and all, but they also have a water bar with water from all over the world.  Totally unnecessary?  Yes.  Still pretty cool and fun?  Absolutely.

20140208-204525.jpg

Private Shower Suite Complete with Rubber Ducky:

Not only do you get a place at the airport to shower after an overnight flight, but you get a place nicer than many hotel bathrooms complete with your own rubber ducky.

20140208-204536.jpg

This is so not my life, but then again, I guess it kind of is.  It’s my life solely because of miles and points.  Granted, flying Lufthansa First as I did just got like a lot more expensive via United miles, but there is still a world of amazing opportunities out there, and more than one way to fly the same flight I did.  The coolest part is this is just the process of getting to my destination, which should be the real highlight of the experience!

We are lucky to have such a rewarding hobby, and for the record the caviar was pretty good!

14 Responses to “Five Over the Top Moments in Today’s Travel”

1. “IT IS STILL A BED IN THE SKY!”

Classic! This was a fun post to read

2. Bruce says:

Guess we are gonna have to start calling you mommy fancy pants!

3. Denise says:

I lived this life for the first time a couple of weeks ago! It was amazing! A friend today asked me how my trip was and, while I said, it was good–he said, “Look at you–beaming!” It was truly a trip of a lifetime for me- 3 LH Longhaul First class legs and 1 ANA. I know this will not be my future, but I loved it while it was happening!

Points with a crew, it is just so true. Ha ha. Glad you liked the post.
    Bruce, ha ha. Well if I ever get used to caviar and fancy cars then absolutely! ;)
    Denise, aw, that is awesome! You never know what the future holds.

5. Doc says:

Am I the only one who can care less about having a car drive me to a terminal or have their choice of 4189 different choices of water?

6. DaninSTL says:

Some of this stuff won’t matter to many people but they do to me. It’s the small things in life, stopping to smell the roses as well. You’ll notice in this post or many posts there is no review of the tourist sites she saw or restaurants where she ate. It’s all about the journey.

Nice posts. Thanks.

7. Sean M. says:

At the end of the day, the purpose of travel is to have new experiences and create positive memories. There is no right and wrong. If you enjoyed this flight (and you obviously did), don’t worry about the grouchy comments. You’ll always have the memories and they’ll always have their grouchiness. :)

8. ABC says:

You’re not the only one. Some do, some don’t. I’m all about the destination. This is what happens in a consumer based society.

I think you can be both about the destination and the process getting there. I would not have flown the flight were it not for the destination, but that doesn’t mean you have to only care about the destination. Though if I was in coach, all I would care about is the destination. ;)

10. Denise says:

When I planned my blowout miles trip, it was all about the journey. I was traveling alone (my husband was not interested in “the journey”) and I thought I would just experience the flights and lounges…but as I started planning, I also started squeezing out as much time as I could at the destinations! So…yes, it can be about both!

11. Stephen says:

In my recent trip to London, I used miles to upgrade to business on American. I had the recliner seats on the 772 DFW-LHR and the new flat beds on the 77W LHR-DFW. And on my trip to Canada, I upgraded with stickers on DFW-YVR and YVR-DFW. Though my trip was about the destination, I welcome any opportunity to make my journey more enjoyable.

12. Ivan Y says:

Flying new LH F and spending time in FCT is a great and rare experience for most of us, so I totally understand the part about enjoying the journey. Can’t wait to experience it myself. It’s tough to book IAH-FRA with UA miles so have been hoarding Miles & More so I can book directly with LH.

@ mommypoints – did you have time to take advantage of 3-hour 99 euro Porsche rental?

Ivan, I was just in transit at FRA for a couple hours so no Porsche rentals for me. It is super tough getting IAH-FRA on LH – fingers crossed you do well with the LH program!