There has been lots going on from American Express in the last couple of months.  Some things haven’t been welcome news (like the loss of American and US Airways lounge benefits via the Platinum cards), but much of what has come out in recent weeks has been good news.  For example, two new personal cards unofficially launched today (big official launch coming in April), some new perks have been added such as global access to Boingo WiFi hot spots starting this summer to the Platinum cards, and the sign-up bonus offers for the Platinum cards have increased.  We saw the public offer for the personal Platinum card increase a couple of weeks ago, and now the Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN just increased its public sign-up bonus to 40,000 Membership Reward points after spending $5,000 on the card in the first three months.

The Business Platinum Card comes with a 20% Travel Bonus when using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points, complimentary access to 600+ participating airport lounges through Priority PassTM Select, complimentary access to the Centurion Lounges (currently in Vegas and DFW, with more on the way in San Francisco and other locations), a $200 annual airline fee credit, and more. Terms & Restrictions Apply.  Keep in mind it also comes with an annual fee of $450.

20131113-133613.jpg

Family room at Las Vegas Centurion Lounge

Membership Reward points are one of my favorite types of points since they can transfer to many different hotel and airline partners such as British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Aeroplan, Hawaiian Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, Hilton, Choice Hotels, and more.  Keep in mind that you can then use your miles with those airlines to book on some of their domestic partners you may be more familiar with (like American Airlines, United, etc.).

I have read about some (very) lucky folks getting targeted for some even larger sign-up bonuses for the Platinum Business card, so keep an eye open for that if you are interested in this card.  However, if you don’t want to test your targeted luck and/or stalk the mailman each day, then it is good to know that this 40,000 point public sign-up bonus is available.

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, thanks for your support.

6 Responses to “Amex Business Platinum Card Increases Public Sign-Up Bonus”

1. Glenn says:

Not good enough, sorry.

With the Citi AA Executive card offering 100K miles plus a $200 rebate for ANY spend in the first year AND a full Admirals Club membership allowing entry to clubs for AA and US Airways for up to 4, I wouldn’t go near this card for under 100k points until you can no longer apply for a Citi Exec card. I’ve just recently gotten approved for my 2nd, and there are reports of people doing their third. Course rumor is this offer might disappear soon…

Glenn, got in on that one myself…though just once. Of course, these are totally different products so one does not exclude the other.

2. DJ says:

in regards to rumors that AMEX is clamping down on card churning, I got the platinum in Jan 2013 w/o receiving any MR points. If I cancel it right now & re-apply, do you think they would qualify me for the points?

3. DJ says:

btw that was personal plat card.

4. Robert Hanson says:

DJ Highly doubtful, as the new T/C say “if you have ever had this card before”, not if you have ever gotten the sign up bonus before.

Oh, and it’s not a rumor, it’s right there in the T/C small print. For instance, with the new offer for the AMEX Bus Plat card, it excludes anyone who has had ANY TYPE or Gold or Green business card in the last 12 months.
    Some other new AMEX offers read that you “may not” {sic} get the bonus if you have apparently had any sort of personal AMEX, ever… :(

5. sharona says:

Got a targeted offer for 50K for this card. I’ll probably take it since I could use the airline credit 2X and get the AF down to $50. Just recently canceled the personal Plat card (100K bonus). I like the SPG gold and National car Exec status – I’ve gotten some upgrades with those 2 perks and I used the lounge access a few times so I feel like I can get $450 worth without even considering the 50K bonus points.