The brand new Amex Everyday Cards have been getting attention since they were unveiled via entertaining Tina Fey commercials at the Oscars.  In fact, they were getting buzz before they were even officially released, which is a bit unusual, but interesting.  None the less, as reported by View From the Wing at least one of the cards, the Amex Everyday Card an Amex Everyday Preferred card are now up for applications!  I haven’t seen the Everyday Preferred site up yet for applications.  As a reminder, here are some basic details about these cards.

Apply for Amex EverydayAmex Everday

• With Amex EveryDay there is no annual fee
  • When you shop at US Supermarkets you can get 2x points on up to $6,000 in purchases each year. You can earn 1x points on other purchases.  Terms and limitations apply.
  • Use your Card to make 20 or more purchases in any billing period.  Earn 20% extra points on all those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply.
  • As an Amex EveryDay Card Member, you have our Fraud Protection Guarantee, which means you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges when you use your Card.
  • Sign-up bonus of 10,000 Membership Reward points after spending $1,000 in the first three months.
  • Terms and Restrictions Apply.

Amex Everday Preferred

• Earn 3x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year on purchases; 2x on US standalone gas stations; and 1x points on all other purchases.  Terms and limitations apply.
  • Use the Card to make 30 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 50% extra points on all those purchases less returns and credits.
  • Sign-up bonus of 15,000 Membership Reward points after spending $1,000 in the first three months
  • $95 annual fee
  • Terms and Restrictions Apply.

The best part of these cards, in my opinion, is not the sign-up bonuses, but rather their usefulness in everyday earning.  They both earn fully transferable Membership Reward points, so you can take advantage of the hotel and airline partners!   I am doing some work with Amex on these cards, and will be going to some related events as it gets closer to their big official release on April 2nd, so stay tuned for lots more info.  However if you want to be one of the first to apply then go for it!  You can read more about my take on these cards here.

Disclosure: I do not receive a commission for either of these cards currently, but wanted to make sure you have the opportunity to apply for them directly from Amex as soon as they were out!

10 Responses to “Amex Everyday Card Available for Applications”

1. Elena says:

Got one!

2. asar says:

DO you think we would see an enhanced signup bonus offer?

3. Santastico says:

The only reason I was considering to get this card was to use at Costco. However, Amex does not consider Costco Warehouse as “grocery” and Costco Gas as “gas station”. Thus, this card is totally useless for me. I guess Amex is trying to make sure they not compete with the Amex Costco card. Well, will keep earning 1 SPG point for every $1 spent at Costco.

4. Matt says:

This was kind of interesting in the terms:

Membership Rewards® Program – Transfer Points
    Enrollment in a participating Frequent Flyer program is required. Airline tickets are subject to availability. For each conversion of points into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline, a fee of $0.0006 per point, with a maximum fee of $99, will be charged to your Card account. We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay on such conversions. The fee may be more or less than the actual amount of the excise tax we pay on any individual conversion. We may offer you the option to redeem points to pay this fee.

So does that mean there’s a fee anytime you want to transfer? I know some cards make you redeem like a minimum of 2500 points/miles for transfers, etc.

5. ed says:

@Matt
    That was always the case, even for existing cards that accrue transferable MR

@Mommypoints
    Do you know if added user transactions count towards the 30 transactions? Or is each card treated individually? This could make a huge difference on whether this card is worth it or not. I don’t swipe more than once or twice a day, but they are in category spends for other cards. e.g. I’d rather get 5% cash back than 1.5x in MR.

6. Lyssa says:

I do most of my grocery shopping at Super Target and Walmart. I’m pretty sure those will not count for the grocery bonus. Too bad.

7. Robert Hanson says:

MP If you are going to be communicating directly with AMEX on this, please check and see if they really mean what they appear to mean in the T/C for the Everyday cards:

“If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.”
    If you have ANY type of AMEX card open, presumably even a Business card, you will not get any bonus for an Everyday card?
    I’m not canceling my Surpass that is paid up thru July, and gives me HH Gold status, nor my Bus Open that I’ve just received a few weeks ago.
    I was really excited to put all of my grocery spend on an Everyday Preferred, but now won’t even consider applying as long as there is no bonus at all.

Robert, I’m not sure any communications from Amex will be beneficial in that regard. I can say I’ve seen that language around for quite a while now but have yet to hear any “horror stories” as a result.

8. Robert Hanson says:

Until recently most of the language I’ve seen has been in the nature of “if you have had this card in the last 12 months”….

Last August several blogs recommended canceling the SPG, since the increased sign up bonus is usually in August, and the T/Cs had that 12 month rule.
    If you look at the current T/C for the SPG card, it now reads:
    “If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.”
    I hope I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the reason you haven’t heard any horror stories yet is 1) the rules have recently changed and 2) most people meet the minimum spend over 2 to 3 months, so recent applicants haven’t yet found out they are not going to get the expected bonus.
    As I said, I hope I’m wrong, since I’m one of those people who did cancel their SPG last August, intending to get a new one August 2014, including the sign up bonus…

9. @ed, authorized user transactions count towards the purchase requirements.