Tomorrow (Monday May 19th) starts this year’s Daily Getaway Deals! I did a summary of the first week of deals here, and while I don’t plan to post a reminder before every single deal the way I have in years past, I do plan to post reminders the night before (or sometimes morning of) some of the deals that might be of more interest to the miles and points community than others.
Wyndham Reward Points:
This deal is marketed as nights in certain types of Wyndham hotels such as Days Inn or Super 8, but in reality it is just bundles of points that you can use however you wish.
- 14,000 Wyndham Rewards points – $84 (500 available) .54 cents each with 10% Amex discount
- 32,000 Wyndham Rewards points – $192 (450 available) .54 cents each with 10% Amex discount
- 40,000 Wyndham Rewards points – $240 (440 available) .54 cents each with 10% Amex discount
- 60,000 Wyndham Rewards points – $360 (100 available) .54 cents each with 10% Amex discount
- 75,000 Wyndham Rewards points – $450 (200 available) .54 cents each with 10% Amex discount
Wyndham Reward points expire 4 years from date of deposit, unless forfeited or canceled earlier due to membership inactivity for eighteen (18) months. Max. Quantity per Purchase: 1. No more than 1 set of points purchased through this offer are allowed per Wyndham Rewards number.
Buy or no buy:
All of the offers are at a rate of .6 cents per point without an Amex, and .54 cents with an Amex and the 10% discount. This is the same price they were last year, but double the price from two years ago. Perhaps more importantly is that in that time many of the more popular hotel redemption rates have increased, and the transfer rate to airlines has gotten worse (with no advance notice given). Some liked to use this to buy points and transfer to Southwest to count toward the Companion Pass. Now for Southwest and other airlines like United or US Airways you would be paying 2.7 cents per mile (with an Amex discount). That is not a good price for airline miles at all.
The only real reason to consider buying Wyndham Rewards is if you want to redeem for Wyndham hotel stays. Here are a few examples of hotels and the price per night at .54 cents per point with the 10% Amex discount:
Days Inn London Hyde Park (has some 4 person occupancy rooms!) – 20,000 points – $108
Ramada Encore London West – 25,000 points – $135
Super 8 Dillon/Breckenridge Area (near many ski options) – 14,000 points – $75.60
Ramada Vancouver Downtown – 16,000 points – $86.40
Days Inn San Diego Downtown – 20,000 points – $108
A family of four in London for $108 is great, as is a place to sleep at night for $75 during ski season. These hotels are not your five star-diamond-platinum-titanium style hotels, but plenty of them seem to have solid enough reviews to totally meet the basic needs of a safe and clean place to sleep at night.
I will not be purchasing Wyndham points as I simply don’t trust the program enough. That said, I have gotten some good value out of Wyndham points in the past, but I don’t have any immediate needs, and don’t feel comfortable enough stocking up for later. I don’t expect it to be that difficult to purchase these points given the availability and lack of cut-throat competition for these points.
General Daily Getaway Purchase Tips:
- Start refreshing the Daily Getaways page obsessively starting 1-2 minutes before “go-time”.
- Recruit a friend or partner to do the same on another computer.
- If applicable, have your rewards program number nearby (for points purchases).
- Have your credit card nearby (preferably an Amex card for the 10% discount).
- Select different packages by clicking on the images on the right of the screen.
- Don’t get greedy – maybe go for a lesser package and don’t try to do tons at once (unless you are okay being left on the sideline if it doesn’t work).
- If it doesn’t work at first, keep trying as those who don’t check out with the package in their cart will have that package re-released for sale. Until it actually says “sold out”, it isn’t.
- Be patient – just consider this a game of sorts. You will probably not get everything you want.
- Cross your fingers!
Will you be going for Wyndham Reward points tomorrow?