Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
The Daily Getaway Deals are a collection of travel offers that are brought together by the U.S. Travel Association and American Express for residents of the United States. They have run for several years, and are being offered every weekday this year from May 19 – June 20, 2014 at 1PM Eastern. The packages and deals are of limited quantity, and there is one new deal per day. You get 10% off if you pay using an American Express card, so absolutely plan to do that. Some of the deals are better than others, and with some deals the demand is so high it is hard to actually score one of the limited quantity packages. So don’t play if that will ruin your afternoon.
The deals aren’t quite as smoking as a couple years ago, in part due to some program devaluations, and in part due to other ways to “manufacture” points these days. However, there are still some good opportunities depending on your travel goals and plans. I will say that for every offer, you should have an idea on how you will use the nights/points/rentals/etc since you are spending real money to obtain these packages. If you want to peak ahead, you can view all five weeks of deals here.
I provide a weekly breakdown of the deals, as well as a post the night before or morning of some of the deals that I think might be more interesting.
With all that being said, I bring you Week 3 of the Daily Getaways…
Monday June 2nd One and Two Night Stays at Omni Hotels & Resorts:
There are four different packages of one or two night hotel nights at a variety of Omni Hotels and Resorts. Each package has its own set of participating Omni locations, so be sure to check the hotel lists carefully.
- One night stay with Friday or Saturday check-in at select Omni exclusive locations (Listed below) through December 30, 2014 – $265 ($238.50 with 10% Amex discount). 10 available
- Certificate is only valid for a standard room (single or double occupancy) only at the following locations:
- Omni Berkshire Place, New York, NY
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, Amelia Island, FL
- Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, Austin, TX
- Omni Bedford Springs Resort, Bedford, PA
- The Omni Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC
- The Omni Homestead Resort, Hot Springs, VA
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, San Diego/North County, CA
- Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage, CA
- Two night stay with a Friday or Saturday check-in at select Omni locations (listed below) through December 30, 2014 – $375 ($337.50 with 10% Amex discount). 33 available
- Two night stay with a Friday or Saturday check-in at select Omni locations (listed below) through December 30, 2014 – $270 ($243 with 10% Amex discount). 49 available
- Two night stay with a Friday or Saturday check-in at select Omni locations (listed below) through December 30, 2014 – $180 ($162 with 10% Amex discount). 36 available
- The Omni San Antonio Hotel at the ColonnadeThe Omni Austin Hotel at SouthparkThe Omni Majestic Hotel
- The certificate is valid for a standard room (single or double occupancy) and applies to room and room tax only
- Within 7 business days following purchase, you will receive a certificate in the form of an e-mail with a unique promotion code to use when booking your stay. Please follow the link provided on the certificate to redeem your stay.
- Subject to availability. Blackout dates apply and vary by location.
- Only one (1) certificate per booking. Additional nights will be available at the prevailing rate.
Buy or No Buy:
I think these offers have the potential to save you money on hotel expenses, but that comes with caveats. As an example, I looked for a two night weekend stay at the Omni Hilton Head Resort and on an August weekend that had availability (many summer weekends I tried did not), the lowest going rate on the website was over $500 all-in for a two night stay. This means that $337.50 all-in price via this deal is the clear winner. It would not shock me if there are instances where a lower rate was available outside of this deal, especially if you are just looking for a nice hotel and don’t have to stay at the Omni. The main hang-up for me is the blackout and availability issues, and a pretty short window to use since the expiration date is December 30th. However, this could be a way to save some money at Omni Hotels this year for weekend stays.
Tuesday June 3rd Two Night Stays at Lowes Hotels
Similar to the Omni deal, this offer has various versions of a couple nights in a Lowes hotel – and several of the packages are in suites!
- Two consecutive nights in a Executive Suite at the Loews Regency Hotel in New York City- $1,110 ($990 with 10% Amex discount) 5 available
- Two consecutive nights in a Vibrant Superior Room at one of the following resorts (single or double occupancy) – $350 ($315 with 10% Amex discount) 20 available
- Two consecutive nights in a Vibrant Superior Room at one of the following Loews Hotels (single or double occupancy) – $275 ($247.50 with 10% Amex discount) 16 available
- Loews Annapolis Hotel, Annapolis, MD
- Loews Atlanta Hotel, Atlanta, GA
- Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel, Boston, MA
- Loews Hollywood Hotel, Hollywood, CA
- Loews Madison Hotel, Washington, DC
- Loews New Orleans Hotel, New Orleans, LA
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel, Philadelphia, PA
- Loews Regency Hotel, New York, NY
(GRAND REOPENING! Valid for Stay Dates Beginning February 17, 2014)
- Loews Santa Monica Hotel, Santa Monica, CA
- Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, Nashville, TN
- Loews Ventana Canyon, Tucson, AZ
- Loews Hotel Vogue, Montreal, Canada
- Two consecutive nights in a 1-bedroom Grand King suite at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel (single or double occupancy) – $1,100 ($990 with 10% Amex discount) 5 available
- Two consecutive nights in a ocean view suite at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel (single or double occupancy) – $1,100 ($990 with 10% Amex discount) 5 available
- Please note that this offer expires June 30, 2015. Reservations are based on availability and/or blackout dates.
- Within 10 business days of purchase, you’ll receive a confirmation letter via U.S. mail or electronic mail with your suite certificate and a promotional code to use when booking your stay. Booking instructions will also be included in this letter.
- The certificate must be presented at check-in and expires June 30, 2015. Reservations are based on availability and/or blackout dates.
- A limited number of suites are available with this offer (suites may vary by availability). Hotel reserves the right to restrict this offer for certain days, weeks, or seasons without notice.
Buy or no buy:
I think this one is actually a decent deal in some situations. For example, I checked some dates in NYC and the going rates for the Lowes Regency Hotel are often double the price you would pay with this deal. Getting two nights in NYC at a recently renovated hotel for $247.50 all-in is very, very good. If you had the money and wanted a suite, even that package is a pretty good price by NYC standards. I don’ t know that I will be a buyer since I often use hotel points to stay in NYC, but at that price even I am a little interested, especially since you have over a year to use the nights unlike with the Omni package. If you want to use the packages in some of the cities that have lower average hotel rates your return may not be as good, but for expensive hotel cities paying just $123.75 all-in per night on a two night stay is hard to beat.
Wednesday June 4th Hyatt Gold Passport Points
Purchase packages of Hyatt Gold Passport points to use on Hyatt award night stays however you wish.
- 24,000 points deposited into your Hyatt Gold Passport® account – $260 ($234 with 10% Amex discount) 95 available .975 cents per point
- 30,000 points deposited into your Hyatt Gold Passport® account – $330 ($297 with 10% Amex discount) 35 available .99 cents per point
- 40,000 points deposited into your Hyatt Gold Passport® account – $415 ($373.50 with 10% Amex discount) 15 available .93 cents per point
- 72,000 points deposited into your Hyatt Gold Passport® account – $775 ($679.50 with 10% Amex discount) 15 available .94 cents per point
- No more than 1 set of points purchased through this offer are allowed per membership number. A maximum of 4 sets of points is allowed per membership number across all Hyatt offers.
- You must be a Hyatt Gold Passport member to take advantage of this offer, so be sure to
join now at goldpassport.com if you are not already a member.
Buy or no buy:
These packages will go very quickly, so if you are on the fence about whether it is worth it I personally wouldn’t bother since it will basically be a lottery. Paying less than one cent per Hyatt point is a good price. Those who “manufacture” spending can create these points for less, but not all of us do that, and this is obviously a quicker and easier way to get the points. Just to give a quick example, a night at the Andaz Maui Wailea will usually run you $400 – $500 per night if you paid cash. However, at this price you can buy enough points to stay there for about $243 per night at 25,000 points per night. That isn’t “free”, but it shaves a good chunk off the going rate. I may try to buy this one just to see what happens, but I don’t expect to be successful given the supply and demand equation.
Thursday June 5th IHG Reward Points
For the second time in the Daily Getaways, you can purchase packages of IHG Rewards points to use at IHG hotels such as Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental, and more.
- 15,000 IHG points for $100 ($90 with Amex discount) .6 cents per point, 1000 available
- 25,000 IHG points for $167 ($150.30 with Amex discount) .6 cents per point, 1000 available
- 50,000 IHG points for $325 ($292.50 with Amex discount) .585 cents per point, 1000 available
- 100,000 IHG points for $630 ($567 with Amex discount) .567 cents per point, 1600 available
- No more than 4 packages of points purchased through this offer are allowed per loyalty number. A maximum of 16 packages of points is allowed per loyalty number across all IHG offers.
Buy or no buy:
You can essentially purchase IHG Reward points whenever you want for .7 cents each, so this isn’t an amazing deal, but it is a cheaper and easier way to pick up some IHG points. I think it is handy to have a few IHG points on handy in case you run across a Point Breaks hotel for 5,000 points per night that works for you. However, I wouldn’t buy many more than you have plans for since you can essentially buy them for just a bit more than this any time you want. I think I will be passing on this since I already have some IHG points in my account, but I would buy at least a few if my account were at zero.
Friday June 6th Vegas Hotel Casino Packages
Hotel and activity packages at Las Vegas hotels that include room nights, dinners, shows, etc.
- Mandalay Bay Package for 4 – $1700 ($1530 with Amex discount) 4 available
- 2 nights in a 2-bedroom suite at Mandalay Bay. Maximum 4 people.
- 4 tickets to Michael Jackson ONE a Cirque du Soleil® show at Mandalay Bay.
- 2 dinners for 4 people at a restaurant of your choice inside Mandalay Bay. (dinners worth up to $700 each)
- 4 – 50 minute massage for each guest at Spa Mandalay.
- Round-trip airport limo transfers (between McCarran Airport and Mandalay Bay).
- Offer expires January 31, 2015. Blackout dates apply for December 30, 2014 – January 2, 2015.
- New York New York Two Night Package – $525 ($472.50 with Amex discount) 5 available
- 2 consecutive nights in a Spa Suite (double occupancy). Room and tax included.
- 2 tickets to Zumanity™ by Cirque du Soleil®
- Dinner for 2 at Gallagher’s Steakhouse (valued at $350).
- Please note that this offer is available through December 28, 2014.
- Excalibur Package – $525 ($472.50 with Amex discount) 9 available
- 4 consecutive nights in a Contemporary Room (double occupancy) at the Excalibur.
- 2 tickets to the Criss Angel ® Believe ™ OR Jabawockeez.
- $400 food & beverage credit at select Excalibur or Luxor restaurants.
- Penthouse Package at Hotel32 – $1150 ($1035 with Amex discount) 4 available
- 2 nights in a one-bedroom PENTHOUSE Suite at HOTEL32 (double occupancy).
- 2 VIP tickets to the turbo-charged Blue Man Group show.
- $150 dining credit at select Monte Carlo restaurants.
- Round-trip airport limo transfers (between McCarran airport and the Monte Carlo).
- VIP Lounge check-in.
- VIP Package at The Mirage – $1975 ($1777.50 with Amex discount) 6 available
- A 4 consecutive night stay in a “Mirage Suite” or similar suite (double occupancy).
- Airport limo transfers to and from McCarran Airport to The Mirage.
- Dinner for 2 at Japonais.
- Dinner for 2 at Tom Colicchio’s Heritage Steak.
- Dinner for 2 at Portofino Italian Cuisine.
- VIP seating for 2 to The Beatles LOVE™ by Cirque du Soleil®.
- VIP seating for 2 to Terry Fator.
- Massages for 2 at The Mirage Spa.
- VIP amenities of champagne and strawberries in your guest room.
- Please note that this offer expires December 29, 2014. Blackout dates apply for holidays (July 4, November 28, December 24-25, 2014).
- Original certificate must be presented at the Front Desk upon check-in.
- Each one seems to have its own expiration date toward the end of 2014, so check each carefully.
- At least one (1) person in the party must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older to redeem this package. Any minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Buy or no buy:
Just like with all the Vegas packages, how good a deal this is depends in large part on what room rates you would have otherwise gotten, and which of the included amenities you would have spent money on anyway. That said, I personally think there are some pretty good values here if you max out what is being offered. For example, if you look at the Mirage package, each one of the three dinners is worth up to $500 each including food and any beverage, taxes and 18% gratuity. So, just that alone is $1,500, though most of us wouldn’t normally spend that much at dinner so value it as you see fit (we brought more folks to dinner with us last time to get the full value!). Throw in two massages, two tickets to Terry Fator, two tickets to LOVE, limo transfer, champagne/strawberries, and four nights in a suite and it is easy to see how you can get more than $1,777.50 in value out of this deal…if the things included have value for you. We bought that package a few years ago and loved it.
That said, the package was a few hundred dollars less when we bought it in 2012. Also keep in mind that the restaurants listed may not accept children under 5 years old, so don’t buy this expecting to bring your little kids out to eat in Vegas with you. I’m not pulling the trigger on one of these packages, but I do plan to try my luck at one later in the Daily Getaways (though with quantities so limited it is just a gamble anyway!).
Are any of these Week 3 Daily Getaway deals “buys” for your family?