Let’s say that you had a specific rewards earning credit card a couple of years ago that you cancelled because you no longer flew that particular airline or your spending patterns simply didn’t align with what that card hard to offer anymore, or whatever.  Fast forward to a couple of years later and your spending patterns or type of points you desire changes again and the card you cancelled a couple years ago now looks useful one more time.  The question becomes can you get the card again?  If you are a points junkie the second question is probably can you get the sign-up bonus again?

Like with most things in life, it depends.  Assuming you have good credit, you can usually get the card again, but whether or not you get the sign-up bonus can be more variable.  Some banks give you the sign-up bonus the second time more freely than others (ahem Bank of America).  Some banks now have language on certain offers indicating that you can only get the sign-up bonus once for the card (cough, Amex personal cards).  However more and more I have been seeing clearer terms when it comes to obtaining Chase credit cards.  This is great so you can know what to expect if you decide to get a credit card that you have had in the past.

I checked the terms of several different personal and business Chase credit cards and the terms often stated that:

This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.

Of course you need to check the terms of each offer individually before applying as the terms could vary, but this language is relatively new to Chase offers.  I very much appreciate that the language in the terms indicates that after 24 months of having the card you could get the new cardmember bonus again if you decide the card again meets your needs.  Life just isn’t predictable enough with moves, mergers, award chart changes, etc. to be able to know if a certain rewards earning card is perfect (or wrong) for you forever, so being able to be treated as a new cardmember after 24 months gets a big thumbs up from me.

Have you noticed this type of language on some offer terms recently?

Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.
Disclaimer: The comments below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

13 Responses to “Can You Get a Chase Sign-Up Bonus a Second Time?”

1. David says:

Interesting article but the real question at hand is while the terms of a card may state one thing, the enforcement of that policy is another. Tracking whether someone has received a bonus years back or not seems like it could be painstaking for a company to monitor or they may not have a system in place to “catch” it. Any thoughts?

• Charlie says:

Amex had a VERY good system in place to track it (I know, I lost a bonus for being 2 days early – thanks to a rep who said it was fine :). It is really not hard for Chase to track, so I would be careful to watch when the bonus hit your account and then +2 years and a day or two to be sure. Also, make sure you cancel the current card before applying.

• Mommy Points says:

Charlie, thanks for weighing in. I have also heard Amex stories that came down to days, so I’m sure it’s not that hard to track.

2. GG says:

i was scanning barclays arrival card T&C but nothing mentioned about getting the signup points again, any one applied the braclays arrival card again and got the bonus points ?

3. iahphx says:

“Have you noticed this type of language on some offer terms recently?”

Well, yes — but only because all the bloggers are talking about it now! :)

Like here:

4. Rebecca D. says:

Very good news. In your experience, what is the easiest way to find out exactly when you closed a card (for those of us with poor tracking ability:)? Credit Karma/Sesame? Call the company to confirm when the card was closed?

5. Rich says:

I also was wondering the same as @Rebecca D. What about checking a credit report, does that list the date the account was closed?

On another note, I’ve noticed more and more people using the kiosk at my local walmart neighborhood store and have to wait while people deposit multiple gift cards. Do you think walmart employees report this activity to their managers? I know Man spend isn’t your favorite, but I wonder if this well is going to dry up..

6. Kayla says:

HT to Running with miles who has posted about this a few times now…including today.

7. Mommy Points says:

GG, yes I have heard Barclays stories of getting it more than once, but it isn’t as simple there as it used to be.
    iahphx, ha, well glad bloggers are keeping you in the loop. ;)
    Rebecca, a credit report should tell you when it was closed, but as with everything on a credit report, it isn’t necessarily 100% accurate so having your own records is a good idea, too.
    Rich, I’m sure it will keep changing. Anything that is getting hit too hard as to call attention is at risk because the odds are someone is losing. It also doesn’t help that some of the things that MSers seem to do seem to also be done by those with less ‘noble’ intentions via stolen cards and fraud.
    Kayla, haven’t yet seen his post from today but see one linked above. Glad word of updated terms is getting out!

8. Stephen says:

For the Amex, is the one time bonus for personal cards only, in other words, biz cards can be churned? If so, every 12 or 24 months?

9. Roy says:

Is this 24 months after being approved or 24 months after closing?

10. Beach Miles says:

24 months from when? Sounds like 24 months from when you received the signup bonus. The sign up bonus might come 3 months after opening the account.
    That’s different than when you opened the account, or when you closed it.

11. Carl P says:

When I closed a card with Barclay’s that I had had about a year the rep told me I could never get the bonus OR the card ever again. Maybe she was having a bad day, because I had not heard of not even being allowed the card again.