From today (August 1) through August 31st you can get a $5 statement credit when you spend $5 at small businesses in and around the following cities thanks to American Express:
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
- Minneapolis – St. Paul
You can do this up to three times on each registered American Express card for a total of $15 in “free money” on each American Express card you have. Authorized User cards with their own unique card number will also count as eligible for their own $15 in statement credits per card. You must register each American Express card in order for it to be eligible, and registration is “limited”.
When searching for eligible small businesses in the Houston area I quickly found that there are eligible stores in the greater metro area that extends out beyond the boundaries of the actual cities listed. So, if you are even sort of near one of the cities listed, check the search tool to see if a business in your area may be eligible. Note that online transactions do not count for this promotion.
If you found an eligible business willing to work with you, you could go in and buy three $5 gift cards with each of your registered cards to hit the $15 max in one visit (ring each up individually). I’ll probably just pick up coffee or lunches at some nearby joints throughout August with my multiple registered Amex cards to trigger the statement credits. Add in some dry cleaning runs, car washes, pedicure, visiting a local dairy, etc. and we would probably get all the statement credits we have coming to us without even trying if we just rotate through our Amex cards.
Honestly Amex is already getting a good share of my smaller “everyday” purchases on the EveryDay Preferred Credit Card so that I hit 30 transactions a month and trigger the 50% points bonus. They will just be reinforcing my behavior with this awesome promo!
How much “free money” do you now have in August thanks to Amex?
Terms and Conditions:
- Limit three (3) statement credits per American Express® Card. To be eligible, Card Members must register any eligible American Express Card for this offer at americanexpress.com/ShopSmallAugust. Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than American Express Serve®) are not eligible.
- The number of registrations is limited. Registration opens at 12:00 A.M. MST (Mountain Standard Time) on Aug 1, 2014, and will continue until 11:59 P.M. MST on Aug 31, 2014, unless the registration limit is reached sooner.
- To receive the $5 statement credit up to three times total (once per eligible transaction), the Card Member must use his or her registered Card to spend $5 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location listed in the Shop Small August Offer Directory during Aug 2014. To receive the credit, the transaction must equal $5 or more (for example, if the transaction is only for $4, the Card Member will not receive a credit). Multiple transactions of less than $5 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $5. Card Member may purchase multiple items that together equal $5 or more, but they must be purchased in a single transaction to receive the statement credit. Online transactions do not qualify.
- Qualifying small business locations will appear in the Shop Small August Offer Directory, available beginning on Aug 1. (Please note that business location information provided on the directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties.) Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear in the offer directory.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as qualifying for the offer, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, a transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, a statement credit will not be received if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party, or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
- Statement credit(s) will appear on the Card Member’s billing statement within 90 days after Aug 31, 2014, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about the qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information that identifies the transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from the purchase are not all provided during the offer period. For example, if a Card Member purchases an item that is not available or is provided after Aug 31, 2014, that transaction will not count toward determining whether the purchase qualifies for the offer.