Some places we travel to carve out a place in my heart and make all the work and effort to get there instantly melt away.  I already (mostly) don’t remember the twelve hours we traveled today to get here.  I remember this moment.  This moment that struck us with awe of the natural beauty surrounding us in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

20140814-195454-71694626.jpg

I find things that I love in almost every place we visit, but the list of places I have visited that can instantly captivate me is pretty short.  Alaska, Colorado, and this beautiful island of Kauai are on that list.  How lucky we are to live in a time where I can wake up in my bed in Texas and by nightfall be able to experience sunset in Kauai.

20140814-195452-71692831.jpg

This is the point for me, for my family, for why we do what we do.  This is why we pack our things, leave home, and push through jetlag when it would be easier to just stay home.  We are just captivated by places like this.  What destinations captivate you?

20140814-195453-71693683.jpg

15 Responses to “The Destinations that Captivate Us”

1. DJ says:

Kauai looks amazing. Our family will be traveling there in March for the first time. Can’t wait! We are staying at the Grand Hyatt. Are you staying there again? Enjoy paradise.

2. Anne says:

Big Sur is pretty amazing!

3. AlohaDaveKennedy says:

Then you would probably enjoy the views at Yosemite National Park, Glacier National Park, Switzerland and Martinique. I’d also list the eastern side of Costa Rica, but it is too snakey, even by the modest standards of Texas.

“Alaska, Colorado, and this beautiful island of Kauai are on that list.”

4. Santastico says:

I recognize that place: St Regis Princeville in Kauai. We just spent 4 nights there in June. Amazing views!!! Enjoy!!!!!

5. Nkk says:

Agree – Kauai is pretty special and so is Bali – but my two most favorite places are Tofino and Paris – Tofino for the most amazing beaches and Paris, well everything is just so so beautiful (yes, even the french attitude) :-)

6. Jessica says:

Zion National Park.

7. Ian says:

Iguazu Falls, Angkor Temples, Carlsbad Caverns…

8. Soltatio says:

Surprisingly it is always the places that I least wanted to visit that captivate me the most and to which I want to return the most and the most often: Chiang Mai, Hanoi, Las Vegas and Grenada (Nicaragua). All 4 were pretty low on my “must visit” list, but once I happened to pass through I was completely captivated and have or will return many more times.

9. Stephen says:

Hawaii – I’m planning on doing the Norwegian Cruise around the islands
    Alaska
    Whistler
    Colorado
    Caribbean

10. Joe S says:

Kauai is amazing, going there in January. 5 nights in Kauai, 5 in Maui. Right now booked at Marriott and the Grand Hyatt, both were devalued so trying to decide between the 2. GH is obviously nicer but we’ve already stayed there, and I can do more with those points than Marriott points. Decisions decisions.

11. Denise says:

We’re looking forward to 3 weeks in Kauai in January. We love it! But there are so many places to go, so much to see! I have a friend who said, “Either you travel or you don’t. If you do, you will find a way.” So true…

12. UAPhil says:

Canadian Rockies (Banff/Jasper National Parks and surroundings) for some of the most stunning natural beauty on the planet.

New York City and London for art museums, theatre, and history/culture lovers. (In London those Club Carlson two night award stays are a lifesaver.)

13. Kristi says:

We just stayed on Princeville, Kauai last month and the North Shore was divine! We also stayed at the South Shore Grand Hyatt which I highly recommend to families as well. Then we took it to the West Side to stay at a Kokee Cabin and every part of that island is so unique and special. Can’t wait to go back and repeat the whole thing again in a few years. All thanks to points!! :)

14. Amy says:

Kuai is one that stands out for me as well! Try Bald Head Island, NC. Delightful in every respect – often referred to as the ‘Nantucket of the South’.

15. Lynn says:

Great Wall of China – so much exceeded my expectations.
    View from ranch we stayed in outside Cody, Wyoming. Had no idea the mountains and plains could combine in such a breathtaking way.
    Driving through Alps in Bavaria, Germany. No words can describe the beauty.