Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Earlier this year Hilton HHonors moved away from making annual hotel category adjustments and instead went to making adjustments several times a year….which I don’t think is better as it is just too frequent for people to be able to effectively plan for how many points they need for a vacation.
However, I must say Hilton is doing a good job announcing the changes in advance both on communities like Flyertalk as well as on their website. Yesterday they announced on Flyertalk that a new round of changes were to be officially announced today, and that as of October 8th 21 hotels will be going up in Hilton HHonors points price and 12 will be going down.
A few Hilton hotels in Dublin, Boston, and London will be going up in category (among others), while the list of hotels going down don’t seem to be super popular destinations.
I have the full list posted below, but to give you an idea about some of the changes, the Conrad Dublin and The Morrison Dublin, a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel are going from Category 6 hotels that cost 30,000 to 50,000 points per night to to Category 7 hotels that cost 30,000 to 60,000 points per night. In practice most of the nights I searched at those properties were already at 50,000 points per night. Also relevant for families interested those properties is that the standard room available on points seems to only rated for two adults, so not very useful for those trips with kiddos.
Domestically, the Hilton Boston Logan Airport is also going from a Category 6 to a 7 and the Hilton Boston Back Bay is going from a Category 7 that cost 30,000 to 60,000 points per night to a Category 8 that cost 40,000 to 70,000 points per night. As an aside, I am currently in the middle of planning a trip to Boston and points prices with several programs were low given what the going cash rates were, so it won’t surprise me at all to see increases coming in several points programs for Boston.
Not all of the changes were increases, though most of the decreases were at properties most of us don’t have high on our “vacation lists”. A notable exception is the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa that is going down from a top tier Category 10 to a 9. This means the point price will be going from 70,000 – 95,000 points per night as a Category 10 to 50,000 – 80,000 points per night as a Category 9. Some brief searches showed that the property is already displaying at the low end of the Category 10 spectrum at 70,000 points per night for a King villa, so if that really dropped to 50,000 points per night on some nights that could be a pretty good deal on points.
Hotels with Category Increase:
- The Morrison Dublin, a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel – New Category: 7
- Conrad Dublin – New Category: 7
- DoubleTree by Hilton London Victoria – New Category: 7
- DoubleTree by Hilton London Marble Arch – New Category: 8
- Hampton Inn Florence-Midtown – New Category: 3
- Hampton Inn Clarksville – New Category: 2
- Homewood Suites Richmond Airport – New Category: 3
- Hampton Inn Silver Spring – New Category: 4
- Hampton Inn Medford – New Category: 5
- Embassy Suites Palmdale – New Category: 5
- Hampton Inn and Suites Ocala – New Category: 5
- Homewood Suites Medford – New Category: 5
- Homewood Suites Atlantic City/Egg Harbor – New Category: 5
- Doubletree Club Hotel Boston-Bayside – New Category: 6
- Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center – New Category: 6
- Hilton Boston Logan Airport – New Category: 7
- Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City Bayfront / Convention Center – New Category: 7
- Hilton Boston Back Bay – New Category: 8
- Hilton Boston Financial District – New Category: 8
- Hilton Carlsbad Resort and Spa – New Category: 8
- Waldorf Astoria Chicago – New Category: 10
Hotels with Category Decrease:
- Hilton Garden Inn Rzeszow – New Category: 1
- Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa – New Category: 9
- Hilton Garden Inn Kutahya – New Category: 1
- Hampton Inn Ordu – New Category: 1
- Hilton Garden Inn Mardin – New Category: 2
- Hilton Kayseri – New Category: 2
- Hampton Chattanooga Airport – New Category: 3
- Hampton Inn Henderson – New Category: 3
- Hampton Inn Jacksonville East/Regency Square – New Category: 3
- Hampton Inn & Suites Center – New Category: 4
- Hampton Tucson-North – New Category: 4
- Hampton Shelbyville – New Category: 4
You have until October 8th to lock in properties at the current prices. Thanks to View From the Wing for sharing information about the changes!